• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pressure switch install

jap32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1996 2.3 and the oil sending unit started leaking, I got the old one out, but can't get the new one in. I have pretty big hands and can't get the switch started in the whole. Is there a special tool for this? It is a 1 and 1/16 inch or 26 mm I took off the inner fender and I could get the old one out. I tried from underneath and on top and cant get it started. Thanks

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Not sure where it is on that engine. But on my 3.0l it was a super royal PITA.

My best advice is. Take a break, relax, then go try again. Or get your wife or the neighbors' scrawny long-armed teenager to do it.

At work, we always get Billy to do the jobs that require long skinny arms and tiny hands.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The sending unit or switch is screwed into the drivers side of the cylinder head, almost directly above the oil filter. It has a 'pipe thread' and should have no problem being threaded in. If you have difficulty, check that the threads match on the old and new switches. You may have gotten the wrong switch. I would used some pipe-thread compound on the threads to make it seal with low insertion/tightening force. If you have to tighten it a lot, you can crack the cast iron of the head. Not readily, but it is possible. Same deal with the temperature gauge/light switch on the side of the block between the filter and the oil pressure sender.
You do not need to use a lot of force when you tighten either one in place. You can make a new oil switch leak if you apply too much force as you can distort the seal between the bakelite and the rolled metal edge of the sender.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals