• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pressure Gauge "Dances" Low When Stopped

Dabblingman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger (V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey! A week into our 1999 3.0 V6 Ford Ranger. Much to learn. Many quirks.

Today, noticed that the oil pressure gauge is normal (in the middle) when....
1) Driving (moving)
2) In Neutral
3) In Park

BUT, when in DRIVE, but stopped, the needle on the gauge drops to the low side and bounces up and down on it. A special "Check Gage" (they, that's how it's spelled) light comes on. Once I drive away (from the stop light, etc), everything is OK.

Anyone ever see this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would assume Ford was consistent with this, my 1989 f250 has a fake gauge. Instead of a sensor out on the engine to send back oil pressure readings, they just installed a switch and put a resistor on the cluster circuit board. If you have over 5 pounds of pressure, the switch opens and the resistor is hooked in so the guage reads straight up in the middle.

If you get less than 5 pounds oil pressure, the switch will close, grounding out the gauge wire and making the gauge go to zero.

Your best next move is to go to the store and buy a real pressure gauge, one of the cheaper ones with the tubing will work. Hook it up and see what pressure you are really running. if it really is going up and down on either side of 5 pounds, if you went to a little thicker oil it may make the problem go away. Needless to say if this works you have some wear in the engine, but you might be able to work with it. A new pressure switch may help it also. But see what pressure you really have with a real gauge.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
my 2000 has been doing that on and off for at least 15 years.
I usually put 10-30 or 15-40 oil in for the summer, 5-30 in winter.
that helps, but does not totally eliminate the issue.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
When you have the factory "fake" gauge, the sending unit has a single wire connection. It is a male prong sticking out and the wire is a female piece that goes on. This can get dirty and cause a weak connection resulting in the gauge intermittently or permanently showing low. This is a very common scenario. The first thing I would do is clean that connection and see if the issue goes away. This is a free procedure.
You can convert the "fake" gauge to a real one by replacing the sending unit (do a Google search for the correct unit) and placing a jumper wire to bypass the resistor on the gauge cluster. If you want to see an actual number for oil pressure, pick up an aftermarket gauge like Franklin recommended.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you do end up pursuing an aftermarket gauge, this pod blends in almost completely on the A pillar:
1719249809674.png

You'll just need to find a matching trim paint color and give it a quick spray before installing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals