• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil leak

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual

I have been having this oil leak problem for a while. I have so far made three attempts at fixing it. First time, I replaced the main crank shaft seal. Second time, I replaced the oil pump housing seal and replaced the o-rings on the oil pump. Third time, I went back in and applied RTV gasket maker on the oil pump housing seal. While this seemed liked it worked. The leak is back and it is leaking worse now. I'm thinking it is the oil pump shaft seal that has gone out and would require a new oil pump. Or it could be something else that I missed or don't know about. The oil pan gasket seal seems fine and the front engine crank block seal seems fine too. The leak is mostly on the driver's side in the upper portion (right where the oil pump would be). Its not the oil filter, its all clean and dry in that area.

My plan of attack is to go back in and replace everything that I can at one time. New front crank shaft seal, and new oil pump (with new seals).

Now the thing that is bitting me in the butt is the price of the oil pump. Ford wants $340 for a new one and Advance Auto wants $200 for a Melling's brand. Should I just bite the bullet on this and get OEM and know it will work. Or is it okay to get a different brand. *edit: I just researched Melling, and their business is producing fluid type pumps. So I'm a little less scared to use their brands now.*

Please post your opinions on what it could be. My Ford is bleeding and I'm trying to save it.

*edit* Something I just thought of. Is there a weep hole on the oil pump that lets oil drip out to let the owner know a seal went bad, just like a water pump would?

Last edited:

C_Root

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A thought would be to either steam clean, or degrease the motor, and drive for say a day, then get in there and check things out. Have you checked the bottom side of the valve cover?
Croot

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My '93 was leaking in the same place when I had it. It was the main seal that was leaking...but it was my own fault for not re-installing the crank pully properly after doing the crank sensor.

The pully had a bad wobble to it and it tore the seal to hell.

That being said, it's possible that you have an underlying problem causing the leak and it'll never stop leaking until you find what the original problem is.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
A wobbling crank pulley is a good idea for me to check. Didn't think of that. I'll replace the crank shaft seal anyways, since it is cheap and too much work is involved to get to it.

The engine oil pan was clean until this leak happened. I keep my engine clean so I can spot leaks and fix them.

I still suspect the oil pump. I can see the oil pump housing clearly enough to see there is a lot oil moisture coming from that area. And if it was the crank shaft seal, the whole bottom of the oil pan would be covered in oil. At least thats what I'm thinking.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Bump

Does anybody have an idea of what it could be? Just reply a quick answer. I'm trying to get ideas to fix the problem(s). Valve cover gasket is good, I can clearly see that. Cam seal seems good too. Where is the oil pressure switch? If its somewhere near that leak, that could be it.

More evidence:

You can see that there is oil residue around where the oil pump would be.

If you look closely at the oil pump housing, you can see a square hole. That hole would be facing the timing belt when installed in the engine.

If you look where the oil pump would be. You can the oil residue trail on the inside of the timing belt cover.

The photos were taken when I went back in the for the second time. Which at the time, I did a lot more work too (water pump, thermostat, timing belt tensioner, and oil pump seals).

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Bump....Its like I'm talking to myself.

You know, if I said I was going to light my Ranger on fire. There would be more replys. But thank goodness that I will never do such a thing, as it would be like setting myself on fire.

So lastly, I got the chance to power wash the engine at the car wash. It warmed up enough around here for them to open. Doesn't help when it has been in the 10's and 20's *F. I will be checking for any new leak on every trip I make.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You might want to replaced the oil pan gasket. You put sealant around it and not replaced it? Now that you have it cleaned up you will see in acouple of days where it is leaking from. Some leaks are easy and some are a real pain the the a**.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
You could try some dye in your oil, it may help you find the leak if it's still leaking.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
And I need a bed for my Ranger, so if you wanna take that off before lighting it on fire I would appreciate it, thanks.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Found the problem on the first trip of the day. So after having the engine cleaned and oil free, I found the leak. Those square holes on the side of the oil pump housing, that is were the leak is coming from. Apparently, those are weep holes or breather holes. I noticed the oil residue coming out through the driver's side weep oil. Since now I have to replace the most expensive of oil seals, might as well replace all those cheaper ones as well. And some more ATV sealant for good measure.

I put a red circle where that weep hole is.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Are you using your socks as shop towels?

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Are you using your socks as shop towels?
Yes. I believe in re-using old clothes. So when my sock's fabric becomes thin, I wash them for the last time and use them as shop rags. I use them to detail the interior, wipe my hands off, clean parts, or to asborb oil.

Coreyrocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What is the seal you have to replace

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Learjet, I dont think its folks not wanting to help, its just that leaks of any kind are hard to diagnose even when looking at them, yet trying to do with just pictures. Plus take into consideration many have the v6 not 4 cyl engines and they are different animals. Now it appears you are the guru on 4 cyl oil leaks if it makes ya feel better. Personally I have never messed with one so I could not offer anything positive and the few that did were like me just trying to give some thoughts. Glad you found the culprit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals