• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Leak FMS?

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy everybody! At the suggestion of BigJim, i'm starting my own thread to sew some ideas about my Ranger.
I've got a 2002 4.0L V6 XLT Auto 4WD with 126K miles, using Full Syntec oil.
I appear to have an oil leak coming from the front main seal; enough to see oil, not enough to drip on the garage floor when it's parked there overnight. I also don't seem to be losing oil from the dipstick.

Some of my concerns:
At full throttle and 80+ MPH, the a/c doesn't stay cold, and the air speed drops from the vents. Once I back off and settle down, it comes back in 20 to 45 seconds.

At full throttle and 80+ MPH, the check engine (sometimes) will flash, and when I settle down, it'll stop flashing and go away. Occasionally it'll stay on and i'll pull a "Random Misfire" code.

At 50-65 MPH, if I turn the wheel off-center at all, I get a light, high speed ticking noise. One person told me it was the ball joints, and because the factory ball joints don't have grease tits, i'll have to replace them, and then grease them annually.

I've also been told from someone on this site that it's normal for the a/c to "kick off" at F/T high speed to conserve power.

I'd like your thoughts, opinions, facts, and if someone else has the same truck I do, how's it doing, and how does it compare?

As always, many thanks for your help and insight!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good post Dan

Howdy everybody! At the suggestion of BigJim, i'm starting my own thread to sew some ideas about my Ranger.
I've got a 2002 4.0L V6 XLT Auto 4WD with 126K miles, using Full Syntec oil.
I appear to have an oil leak coming from the front main seal; enough to see oil, not enough to drip on the garage floor when it's parked there overnight. I also don't seem to be losing oil from the dipstick.
Full synthetic don't make a hill of beans for use in a vehicle engine... save your money! That oil leak is more likely from a valve cover or the timing cover.

Some of my concerns:
At full throttle and 80+ MPH, the a/c doesn't stay cold, and the air speed drops from the vents. Once I back off and settle down, it comes back in 20 to 45 seconds.

This is normal and is controlled by the computer

At full throttle and 80+ MPH, the check engine (sometimes) will flash, and when I settle down, it'll stop flashing and go away. Occasionally it'll stay on and i'll pull a "Random Misfire" code.

Could be lots of things. A partially stopped up air cleaner to a slightly weak plug wire...or whatever

At 50-65 MPH, if I turn the wheel off-center at all, I get a light, high speed ticking noise. One person told me it was the ball joints, and because the factory ball joints don't have grease tits, i'll have to replace them, and then grease them annually.

Spend more time thinking about this and then post where you think the noise is really comming from.

I've also been told from someone on this site that it's normal for the a/c to "kick off" at F/T high speed to conserve power.

I'd like your thoughts, opinions, facts, and if someone else has the same truck I do, how's it doing, and how does it compare?

As always, many thanks for your help and insight!
Sounds like you have about a normal 02 Ranger that don't need anything done to it.. Drive it and enjoy!
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I thought the noise was coming from the Power Steering pump since it really sounded to me like high-pressure fluid being pushed out of somewhere, but there's no sign of PSF, leaks, or loss in the can.
The ball joints being a problem make sense because i've read a couple of posts where people have complained about the same thing and had the same results, and it also makes sense that if can't grease a moving part, it'll eventually fail, which generally makes noise.

So it sounds to me like I need to switch to a regular oil instead of synthetic, replace the ball joints eventually, and enjoy the ride.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Run whatever oil you want, nothing wrong with either.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy Dan

Both your noises from the front end might be related to front alignment. Do you have oversize tires and have you had an alignment lately? It could be as simple as that.

As for oil. Sure everyone should use the oil he thinks he likes best. HOWEVER everyone should be aware of the real facts about synthetic oils.
Synthetic oils can withstand MORE heat before breaking down than regular oils can withstand.
BUT our engines don't put out enough heat to breakdown regular oils... So that extra heat ability can NEVER be used in our vehicles. If it can never be used why pay the price for it to do the same job regular cheaper oil does?
KNOWING this fact, if a guy chooses to pay the price for synthetic oil then...fine!
But most guys that spend the money don't have a clue and think the higher priced oils will do SOMETHING for their rides.. They are incorrect in their thinking.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Larry's shee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is no way a balljoint could make a "high speed ticking noise". Low speed clunk or groan , yes. Service/inspect your front wheel bearings , look for rocks stuck in tire. Inspect front brakes also.

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info about synthetic; i'll be switching to regular next oil change.
I have big tires, slightly bigger than factory suggestion, but I had an alignment int he last couple of months.
Also, Bigjim, how do you "clean out your PCV system"?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You start at the valve cover and you take out the parts and clean them. Even the hoses need rodding out and cleaning the inside real good.
I think your vehicle has an orfice that reduces the vac to the cover. Sometimes these orfices get partially or fully clogged.
If there is an actual pcv device then it should be replaced... not cleaned, replaced.
I have the exact same engine and havn't even thought of looking at mine to clean it. I never have done repair that wasn't screaming at me to fix it.
Big JIm

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
A flashing check engine light is not a good thing, that is telling you you have a sever miss fire that is causing damage to your catalytic converters.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
mine throws a check engine light about 2 times a week for about 3 min or so and its the iac i have a problem with it once in a while. it will idle high, but the code only comes on for those 3 min after 40min to an hour of high way driving never comes on otherwise.

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just realized I haven't replied to this thread yet; sorry about that!
I replaced the Front Main Seal and that resolved my oil leak. I put the correct size tires on the truck, and got an alignment, and that fixed my clicking issue.
I've still got the Power Steering pump whine, but it's not leaking and i've heard it in other similiar Rangers.
You can check out my latest posts for the current issue: Transmission. (Oh boy!)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals