• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Oil in the Air Filter

Quaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello,

I have a 1983 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L inline 4 that I just finished rebuilding. And after driving it for a while I noticed that there is a good amount of oil in the air filter coming from the hose that connects it to the oil fill cap. It's my understanding that this connection is part of the PCV system to provide fresh air into the crankcase while the blowby is sucked back into the intake manifold. So I checked it out and found that air is flowing both out of the oil fill cap and the crankcase breather. I also checked the PCV valve and it was providing a vacuum to suck out the blowby. I am assuming that there has to be a vacuum leak elsewhere for air to be going out of both the oil fill cap and the crankcase, is this a fair assumption? any guess on where the vacuum leak could be? any other ideas why air would be coming out of the oil fill cap and in turn pushing oil into the air filter? Thanks for any help!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There shouldn't be any possible way for the PCV airflow to go backwards, especially if the PCV valve itself has vacuum. The only reason I can see for airflow to go backwards like that is excessive crankcase pressure that the PCV valve can't handle.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Assuming carb 2.3l engine in an 1983 Ranger

PCV Valve may not be working like it should

And no, shaking it is not a "test" confirming its working, lol

PCV Valve should be plugged in to intake manifold or base plate on carburetor, it must be BELOW the throttle plate, thats regular vacuum, above throttle plate is Ported Vacuum and it won't work as designed

With engine warm and idling pull PCV Valve with its hose from the valve cover, put your finger over lower end of PCV Valve should have a vacuum there and RPMs should change a bit
If no vacuum then PCV Valve is bad

Yes, PCV valve should suck in the blow-by pressure created in all piston engines, so either PCV system is not working or you have way too much blow-by

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals