• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Gage Issue

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Hello folks. New here. Hopefully someone can help me out with this one.
97 Ranger, 4.0 4x4, new to me. 150k mi
Been eliminating lights on my dash. Down to my check Gage light for the oil Gage.
Gage comes "on" when the key is inserted and vehicle powered on (engine not running yet) then drops as soon as the engine starts and does not register pressure.

I have replaced the switch and observed oil leak out of the tree with the switch removed (oil is getting to the switch). I have noticed the boot on the switch wire is a loose fit on the switch itself.

I have just changed the oil and filter (issue was present before) nothing off about the old oil that came out. I have driven the truck a hundred miles or so, no overheating, engine sounds fine, is being lubricated.

I will try to have someone monitor the gage while I am under the car fiddling the switch boot incase connectivity is causing the issue.

Thoughts?? Thanks and I appreciate it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Pull off the wire on the switch and use a jumper wire to Ground that wire
Turn on the key
Gauge should go up to 1/3-1/2, if so then wire and gauge are OK
If not then wire OR gauge has the problem

If wire and gauge work
Make sure Oil Switch has a good ground to the engine block, some people use "tape" on the threads and this means no GOOD ground
The switch Grounds the gauge when oil pressure is above 5psi(closed), and ungrounds it below 5psi(open)

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Pull off the wire on the switch and use a jumper wire to Ground that wire
Turn on the key
Gauge should go up to 1/3-1/2, if so then wire and gauge are OK
If not then wire OR gauge has the problem

If wire and gauge work
Make sure Oil Switch has a good ground to the engine block, some people use "tape" on the threads and this means no GOOD ground
The switch Grounds the gauge when oil pressure is above 5psi(closed), and ungrounds it below 5psi(open)
Thanks Ron, good to be here and thank you for explaining that to me. Will test next time I'm at the truck. No tape on the threads, however, I remember seeing tape on the crusty tree to the actual engine block... Gave up trying to remove it for fear of damaging the block.

Suppose I can run a ground wire from the switch to a clean ground somewhere else.

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the gauge registers when grounded with the engine on, so switch needs a better ground, will rig one up when I get a chance. Thanks Ron.

In other news, while poking around noticed that the "new" starter was hanging on by one bolt. P.O.'s mechanic must have "overlooked" the sheared off frozen upper bolt. So now I get to drill out the bolt... time to break out the beeswax.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dunno if Ron mentioned this but its not a guage. Ford used a oil pressure switch (on or off) hooked to a guage. The guage simple reads halfway when switch is on. So there is no physical pressure information coming from the "sensor" it's really a switch. Just enough pressure to turn it on or not tells the guage to go to 1/2. So weird fluctuations are almost always ground issues not true oil pressure issues. Never ignore it, but realize it is what it is.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I had a similar issue a few years ago, my “oil pressure “ would fluctuate, turns out it was just alternator rpm causing a voltage change and thereby affecting the “guage”.

97RangerPete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
Dirtman, yes I'm familiar with these switches, rigged one up one on my Norton Commando as a safety.
Been sidetracked with my starter issue. Pulled it off today, no way I'm getting the frozen, sheared stump of a bolt out of the top hole, ain't happening.
Drilled a new mount hole directly below the large mount hole for a new bolt. Will also explore JB welding a stud to the end of the broken bolt also... if clearance isn't an issue.

All of this rolling around on wet gravel in 35 degree weather.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals