• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Filters

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a Ford (or any) vehicle whose oil filter is interchangeable with a 2002, 3.0L, Ranger...? Store had no filter book only the digital video game look-up box. Showed all trucks, all years, no Rangers. Will anything else fit...? It's a convenient store as I live in the boonies. Thanx

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Motorcraft FL-400S
Hastings/Baldwin LF134
Fram xx3600 (xx = different Fram filter versions, such as TG for Tough Guard)
NAPA x1516 (x = different NAPA filter versions, such as 1516, 21516, or 41516) (WIX similar)

This should get you started.

A lot of those "video game"–type lookups list trucks separately from cars, such as "Ford" and "Ford Trucks". When looking up models by name, there might be more than one screen to look, and "Ranger" could be on a second screen. Look for a forward-arrow that indicates there's another screen following.

Hope this helps.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I use Motorcraft almost exclusively. Purolator and Wix(including filters branded Napa, Carquest and others) are OK, Fram is junk, the ones Jiffy Lube uses are junk, Lee is junk. I use Motorcraft FL910's on my John Deere and Husqvarna lawn tractors. The dealer still sells to me at employee prices and Walmart is often cheaper. K&N probably makes a good filter but they cost more and I have oil filter wrenches so I don't need their hex nut gimmick.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Anymore I stick to Motorcraft for mine, but I’ll do WIX, Mobile1, K&N if I have to. I will never buy another Fram after what happened with the GF’s car and my buddy’s van. Both had the same thing happen. Buddy’s van was changed at Jiffy Lube with a regular Fram, I did the GF’s car with a Tough Guard because I couldn’t find the usual AC Delco. Filter actually crushed down enough that oil was bypassing the filter some and clogging up things. Buddy’s van did the same thing. Was almost impossible to dig out of both. Never had that happen with another filter
A9C241F7-C99E-4F99-9481-2B56528F7FEF.jpeg

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...K&N probably makes a good filter but they cost more and I have oil filter wrenches so I don't need their hex nut gimmick.
Have a variety of FilterWrenches here too & yes K&N definitely costs more,
though quality is very good with a nice stout casing & easy access in tight spaces;
I've just had too many others get stuck on, wasted too many hours cutting them off; not an issue with K&N# HP series filters.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I sent those pics to my kids and my oldest son said he just put a fram on his wife's car. He said he is going to get a different brand from now on

jeedee

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you-all for the info. The store in question has their own brand. They're not bad...no crossover chart to check which of theirs subs for all the popular brands. Need an alternate vehicle that uses Ranger filters.....if available.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you-all for the info. The store in question has their own brand. They're not bad...no crossover chart to check which of theirs subs for all the popular brands. Need an alternate vehicle that uses Ranger filters.....if available.
Sounds like WalMart?
I'd avoid SuperTech OilFilters as they don't publish their specs (flow gpm & bypass psi ratings); what are they hiding?
Though SuperTech Oil+Lube products seem to be quite comparable to other premium brands & better prices.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I sent those pics to my kids and my oldest son said he just put a fram on his wife's car. He said he is going to get a different brand from now on
Yup, surprised me when I unscrewed the cap to pull the filter and oil gushed out and the filter didn’t come with the cap like usual. Had to get pliers and a screwdriver and dig it out. Never again. Also guess I should note that the Fram was made in China (both of them, my buddy checked his after I told him) and the AC Delco (stamped GM logo on it too, her car is a Malibu) was made in USA.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Posters on the "Bob Is the Oil Guy" forums have said that Motorcraft, Mobil1, and K&N filters have recently had quality problems and are made cheaper than they used to be. Some K&N filters are reported to leak around the hex nut weld. We're not talking about one or two guys griping, but a lot of members there.

I gave the different filter numbers to give you something that could cross to whatever filters are stocked. You could look at Amsoil too. The Amsoil filter I use on my 4.0 seems pretty well made.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Anymore I stick to Motorcraft for mine,
I mainly stick to Motorcraft (FL400S) or Purlolator (L20195). Sometimes Amazon has the Purolator Tech (TL20195) filters for $2-$3. They appear to be the same product as their regular line of oil filters, except they are painted white instead of red..

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WIX or Napa gold for me. Napa filters are made by wix

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've only used Motorcraft filters on my RBVs and have never had an issue with them.

Sometimes there's an advantage in being a dinosaur and driving old stuff.

My '84, '90 and three '94's all take the same Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. That's four different engines, to boot.

At my age it's nice having to remember only one part number . . .

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've only used Motorcraft filters on my RBVs and have never had an issue with them.

Sometimes there's an advantage in being a dinosaur and driving old stuff.

My '84, '90 and three '94's all take the same Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter. That's four different engines, to boot.

At my age it's nice having to remember only one part number . . .
With the exception of my 3.0 Ranger and mom’s soon to be gone Murano, all of the vehicles around here take either the FL-1A or the FL-820s (essentially a short FL-1A). I try to buy them by the case when I can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals