• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Filter Upgrade

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have a write up on the oil cooler?
How much did it help?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Pics of the filters ? Pls

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Do you have a write up on the oil cooler?
How much did it help?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
I just put in a sandwich plate at the filter and ran 1/2" lines up to the factory auto trans cooler ports on my radiator. It allows the engine to come up to temp faster and more uniformly.

I the hose clamps on the tube were temporary. I used 1/2 compression fitting to 1/2" barb to join the hose to the tube.

-PlumCrazy

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I ended up finding a filter with the same thread, diameter,and O ring, but its 6.982" long. The NAPA # is 1773. (the Purolater was L400017) I also found a 1333 is a little bigger around (3.7") and 6.982" long, but it is valved different it was 30psi where as the 1773 and 1515 are 8-10 psi.
I was thinking about the 90* adapter years ago but have been busy with other things. I know the larger filter will fit in my truck (2.3) and might give it a shot...just a question...

You mentioned the filter was 30 psi and the 1773 was only 8-10 psi...are you saying that the larger oil filter reduces oil pressure?

That would be a boon to someone like me who's engine is suffering a bit of blow-by and sees the oil being pushed out of the engine like it was free...

I also have a rad that has the workings for auto transmission cooling and I bought it in case I decided to go automatic transmission some day...using it as an oil cooler was a thought I had but nice to see someone actually doing that...might incorporate that some day too...:)

Anyway, if you could answer the question about oil pressure I'd appreciate it...:icon_thumby:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The 1773 is the same as the 1515. The 1333 was higher, which was why I didn't use it.

-PlumCrazy

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, OK...might have a look into the bigger oil filter...it might help a bit with keeping the pressure down...if not at least there will be more oil in there to slosh around...:)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just put in a sandwich plate at the filter and ran 1/2" lines up to the factory auto trans cooler ports on my radiator. It allows the engine to come up to temp faster and more uniformly..
-PlumCrazy
Not really following some of this logic. The oil getting cooled is going to help the engine to heat up faster? I would think that with both the oil and water circulating thru the systems would distribute the heat rather effectively. Without a cooler does the water come up to operating temp before the oil or the other way around?
Dave

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
In my experience, water first, so after intial startup the coolant warms the oil.

Most auto trans coolers utilize both the oil to water cooler and an oil to air cooler.

This way ir heats up faster, but runs cooler.
-PlumCrazy

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I also am running a 180 t stat and a weak electric fan that needs to be upgraded.

-PlumCrazy

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess what caused me to ask is that a couple of weeks ago had the intake gasket replaced and three days later, temp gauge was jump9ing high and back to normal real quick. Took it back and the temp at the thermostat was 185 and 125 in upper hose (must have been the gauge, no problem since). Radiator was cold enough I could stick my finger in filler neck and not feel much. This is after water was up to temp. Maybe a longer drive would have caused the thermostat to open more often. With that situation, the water just doesn't get hot enough to heat the oil. It wasn't all that cold at the time but between 20-30 outside.
Dave

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just bought the #1773 filter from NAPA yesterday, but not time for an oilchange yet, I will put it on when I take my winter tires off for the season, and switch from 0W30 to 10W30 for summertime.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Bigger does not mean better. There was a guy that really got into comparing filters. In general the more expensive filters have alot more pleats in the filter element giving them more surface area to actually filter. Do regular oil changes with motorcraft filters every 5K and clean replace the breather filter regular so the pcv is not sucking dirty air in the crankcase. Change the PCV with spark plugs. Nothing replaces regular preventive maintenance, what you save in fuel economy figure how much you spend in fuel for every 5,000 miles at 16 mpg your spending over $1400. A new PCV with spark plugs can easily pay for your oil changes and tuneups in fuel economy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals