• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter thread insert

firemanst13

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am putting a brand new long block 4.0l OHV in my 1993 ford ranger. The new engine came with a 90 degree insert for the oil filter meaning the oil filter will dump oil everywhere when removed, I have the adapter to put on the engine to make the filter hang straight down making it less likely to spill any oil and you can fill it 100% before installing new filter. My problem is I dont know how to remove the oil filter screw in insert so I can put my 90 degree one on it and I sure dont want to mess anything up, can anyone here help me out with this, I have searched all over on-line and cant find anything, thank you ahead of time

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@firemanst13 ,

This probably worth a picture or 2 but here is my recommendation;
- add a remote oil filter kit to your long block. The stock 4.0l OHV oil filter is tiny, I like the larger PH8A style Ford filters. They are cheap and easy to relocate to where they can offer some oil cooling and a slightly larger oil capacity.
- I also recommend adding an oil cooler to your new investment 🙂

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@firemanst13 ,
Seeing your pic, no matter what angle that adapter is, if you add a remote oil filter kit to it, your filter can be mounted out of the way and on any angle you desire 🙂

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Hello, I am putting a brand new long block 4.0l OHV in my 1993 ford ranger. The new engine came with a 90 degree insert for the oil filter meaning the oil filter will dump oil everywhere when removed, I have the adapter to put on the engine to make the filter hang straight down making it less likely to spill any oil and you can fill it 100% before installing new filter. My problem is I dont know how to remove the oil filter screw in insert so I can put my 90 degree one on it and I sure dont want to mess anything up, can anyone here help me out with this, I have searched all over on-line and cant find anything, thank you ahead of time
If you have the stock Ford angle adapter with it's hollow bolt and o-ring, then I wouldn't worry about destroying the old pipe nipple that's screwed into the block. Just reef down on it with pipe wrench or a big vice grip pliers and unscrew it. The only chance of removing it cleanly would be double nutting it, and that's probably not worth the trip to the hardware store if you're just replacing it.

firemanst13

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have the stock Angle adapter with the hollow bolt and o ring, I dont want to tear the threads up I want to put it on my old engine so when I return it I can get my deposit back, thanks for the help, I was just worried it didnt screw in and I was going to break something

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals