• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter relocation.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I think my oil filter relocation kit failed. I think I saved the engine. It lost oil pressure and for a few seconds and went back to normal. But it was raining and I couldn't see exactly where the oil was coming from. I used the Hayden kit. Are there any better brands you guys could recommend? Also has anyone successfully used one of the Ford 90° adapters on a 89-91 ranger?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
which hayden?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I use the one Bobby posted, but I wish I would've bought the L&L version. It's a much nicer unit, and can be clocked any direction you need it to point. I did convert my Transdapt unit to use braided stainless hoses and AN fittings though.. That eliminated the leaks for me. The way I directed the hoses makes sure the unit stays tight on the block.

The Transdapt unit seems to be the lowest profile model on the market for the Ford engine family. I bought other brands to begin with but they were too thick and wanted to hit the steering gearbox.

Here's the L&L: https://www.landlproducts.com/details.aspx?c=0&sc=0&ItemID=1020

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The one I got was from Hayden. And I looked at it today and it looks like the hose cracked right next to the barbed fitting. I was going to get the braided hose. But I figure I would wait for the oil change. And who would think brand new hose for oil would go bad that quickly. The Hayden one hits the corner of the motor mount plate when threading it on.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I ran in to the same problem with it hitting the engine mount. I think I might have ground a little off of both for clearance. I can't remember now..

One thing to look very carefully for is cracks in the aluminum adapter. It's just cast aluminum, which is brittle as glass when you're tightening the NPT fittings in it.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Permanent solution and cheap insurance:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I a
Permanent solution and cheap insurance:

I have that but that other hose shouldn't have busted like that. It was made for pressurized oil.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I a

I have that but that other hose shouldn't have busted like that. It was made for pressurized oil.
At this point, it doesn't matter if it shouldn't have or not. It did, and it may do it again in the future. Either a restriction in the filter or somewhere else could be possible. That's where braided steel hose and AN fittings show their true worth..

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At this point, it doesn't matter if it shouldn't have or not. It did, and it may do it again in the future. Either a restriction in the filter or somewhere else could be possible. That's where braided steel hose and AN fittings show their true worth..
Yeah and now there is braided stainless hose on it. Instead of repeating it im simply pointing out to others who may stumble upon this forum to see that it shouldn't have but did. And now I have too pressure test the oil pressure because the gauge isnt reading any pressure even after repriming the engine the way your suppose to by pulling the distributor and turning the drive gear, so either when the the hose blew it and the cluster got a weird voltage reading and took out the gauge it is 30 years old. or the sensor on the block is gunked up or the the oil pump got knocked out. This thread has turned into a cautionary tale about not using anything other than the steel line or push locks

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Yeah, this is definitely one area of the V8 swap that shouldn't be skimped on. One of the most wise places to spend money is to protect your engine oiling system with the best parts you can get.

#1 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I went through this on my first build in 2001. Bought the TransDapt, it leaked almost immediately. Took off the header to reseal it. Of course you have to take the braided hoses off to unscrew it. Put it all back together, and now it was leaking at the female threads in the adapter. When I put the hoses back on, I wanted to make sure they wouldn't leak, so I tightened them pretty tight, with teflon and pipe dope. (BTW, I'm a master plumber of 45 years retired.) The POS pot metal adapter cracked at the female threads! Bought the Canton, adapter and had it on for 11 years without any leaks.
Canton new.JPG

Canton oil filter adp. Kaufmann motor mount.jpg

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The adapter from Hayden actually was not leaking it was a hose that blew apart

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The Canton unit is nice, but it's way too thick for many swaps.. It depends on the truck and the engine placement.

I really think the L&L unit is the nicest one on the market. It's worth the extra cash in my opinion, just because it's clock-able.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals