• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil filter relocation adapter; To bypass or not to bypass?

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
So I think I have decided to relocate the oil filter on my 2001 F-150 4wd. It seems that most kits come with a bypass adapter. I am thinking that I would not want an adapter with a bypass in it, since it wouldn't have this from the factory, and I'm not doing this to a high-rpm, high-volume needs hot rod. Hopefully some of you knowledgeable folks will chime in.

The reason I want to relocate the filter is one, due to easier access, and second, I hate the mess it makes when oil drips all over the front differential, that isn't able to be cleaned real easily.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Look for the oil cooler kit off of a 97/98 F-150. That will relocate it up behind the bumper. Nice easy access, no mess. The only thing some people don't like about that one is that it puts the filter horizontal, so it's pretty much impossible to pre-fill it, but I have never had much of an issue from that. My 97 with 230K miles has the filter out there and it doesn't even tick or clatter on start up after an oil change.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Look for the oil cooler kit off of a 97/98 F-150.
I had thought about that. Finding a good one in a salvage yard might be kinda hard, and I bet a NOS one from a dealer might be a lot more than I could put a kit together for. Wouldn't happen to know a part number would you so I could look into it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check rock auto, they are a common replacement thing because they leak over time. There should be a plastic catch funnel on top of you differential.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Check rock auto, they are a common replacement thing because they leak over time. There should be a plastic catch funnel on top of you differential.
Checked rock auto, didn't see one on there. There was one on there (isn't anymore) but it still would leave a mess on top of that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was under a '97 4.6 on Rockauto, look under "oil cooler line" Weird brand I wouldn't mess with but they have the Ford part numbers.

My '02 with a 5.4 has the tray, I have never had a problem with it. It drains well, easy to wipe off the spout if so inclined.

It does suck to get at the oil filter though I will give you that. Especially with the front skidplate installed. But I think my brother went thru two of the remote oil filter things in the time he had his '97. The filter base in my '85 (perma cool I think) always has had a constant ooze but it is a necessary evil.

I have had my '150 for 12.5 years with the drain tray and have never felt the need to go the remote route. :dntknw:

EDIT: F85Z6K743AA w/o pressure port, F8TZ6716AA w/ pressure port. Double check but I think that is what you are after. Not sure what engine you have, that is for the 4.6, 5.4 may be different.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Another thing I just thought of is to get the filter adapter/cooler unit off an 05+. That should be a fairly bolt on affair, as I have changed the gasket for the same piece on an early 90s Grand Marquis and the gasket was the same.

Basically all that does is point the filter forward 45* and move it up a few inches. It gets it away from the diff though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals