• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Filter Housing and Oil Pump on 4WD

Caleb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can't seem to find a single video on how to replace the oil filter housing or the pump for that matter. I need help on directions, videos, or even pictures on the how to. With it being a 4wd then it makes it that much harder. Also I'm wondering, what else sits between the oil filter housing and the valve covers other than the heads that could possibly be leaking oil onto the housing?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To do the filter housing you pretty much have to take the passenger side exhaust manifold off. There isn't much of a way around it since the manifold is in the way of the bolt.

There isn't anything except the head and valve cover above it that could be leaking oil, unless your valve seals are that shot that your exhaust manifold is leaking oil.

Your oil pump is a different story. At a minimum you have to jack the engine up a few inches to get enough space to drop the pan to try and work around it. Ideally you would just remove the engine and work on it upside down on a stand, as there is a chance the oil pump drive rod falls out when you remove the pump. There is supposed to be a little retaining ring on it to prevent that, but I have found they don't have a 100% success rate.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The oil filter housing has a O-ring to seal it to the block.
From what i remember from my 2.9 rebuild that there was 2 types used on the 2.9 . My 89 engine needed the 4.0 O-ring from what i remember.
I just ordered both.

cattracks31

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Hard work breeds character
Hey guys. I have my engine up 2" in my 89 4x4 and there's no way I can get the pump out, let alone tools in to loosen anything. How far down should the pan drop in the rear? 2"? 3"? I even lifted the transmission 1/2" thinking that would give me more clearance. I was hoping to look for any debris clogging the pickup and clean out the pan as well as change the pump and pickup. Thoughts?

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I would think that you would need to lift the engine 4 - 6 in. to get enough room to clear the pickup tube and pump to remove the pan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals