• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Oil clearance

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm rebuilding my first 2.5. In tear down everything looked absolutely great (except for the blown head gasket, reason for tear down). I decided to reassemble with no machine work, just hone and a std, std, std remain kit. I found .003 oil clearance on the new main bearings. Crank journals Mic exactly what the Haines book says but has double the clearance they recommend. Any experienced 2.5 builders that can tell me how critical that specific is on a daily highway driver? I greatly appreciate any input!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Where did you get your bearings? Could be they are out of spec. I would not want to take all that time and $$ only to find I had a thudding main bearing. Likely it won't make noise, but if it is .003" clearance, it is out of specification.
FoMoCo used to sell bearing shells, available individually, that were .0015 smaller than 'STD" for use when the journals were in good shape, but just a little smaller than desired. As I remember, there were different sizes available, and you could mix/match to get the clearance closer to spec. I did use several in my 2.3 when it was actually pretty low mileage.
I would not use them if the clearance is out of spec.
tom

Sonkay ranger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply I got my bearings from engine Tech they are to spec and the crank Journal is to spec, apparently it seems to be the main caps I really didn't want to do a line bore.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You should not need to do a 'line bore' unless you have had problems with overheating or distortion due to running without oil.
OR are blueprinting an engine. The factory done bore should last the life of an engine, even with installation of new inserts, if the block and caps have not been damaged.
The clearance being twice the factory spec indicates something is wrong. I do not see how main bearing caps could affect the clearance that much.
Have you checked using Plastigage? If you do that, you can at least check if the clearance stays out of limit or closes when torqued.
How are you so sure your bearings are to spec? Who is engine Tech? Are they a 'brand' or house branded parts? China?
A quick check would be to get a set of a different brand inserts and check their clearance.
Can you post an image of the new inserts, both sides, and the box/container they came in?
tom

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'd want to know how you are measuring the clearance and journals. Plastiguage or just a micrometer and a calculator?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals