• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change Process

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
On a serious note. I got my recall and called the dealer. No parts available. I work with people at dealers. They said the recalls went out by priority of safety. Meaning, if you have a family car you're high on the list. Ford ranger xl 2 seat is low on the list.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On a serious note. I got my recall and called the dealer. No parts available. I work with people at dealers. They said the recalls went out by priority of safety. Meaning, if you have a family car you're high on the list. Ford ranger xl 2 seat is low on the list.
Meh, we got notes in the mail for 2 years that our Edge had a claymore passenger airbag but they were waiting on parts.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I waited a while for a new part for the 2011 when I got the recall for it. I think everyone dealing with the whole Takata air bag mess is in the same boat.

As far as parts for the new Ranger. The lack of availability of parts is a bit discouraging. I think Ford is trying to limit the parts stream since the current Ranger is a stop gap model for when the new one comes out based on the Bronco platform.

Hell, it took me 3 months just to get some plastic center caps for my winter tire steel wheels. Bought and paid for. I still get the feeling Ford views the Ranger as the unwanted step child for the U.S. market and would rather we had all bought F-150s.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
..... I still get the feeling Ford views the Ranger as the unwanted step child for the U.S. market and would rather we had all bought F-150s.
:huh: All they would have needed to do was not redesign and sell the 2019 Ranger in North America? That was a huge investment... you can bet they wanted to do it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My impression is they were drug into it begrudgingly. They saw what the rest of the mid size truck market was doing and realized they were missing out. Especially with the Tacoma.

They spent some money on redesign of the truck the the 2.3EB for sure. I don’t think they had a choice in order to be competitive. They have quite a bit of time before the Bronco based Ranger will be out. So, they had to do something in the mean time.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Some people think their time is too valuable to do such mundane work... meanwhile I rebuilt my distributor for fun last summer and get Motorcraft oil/filters at wally world.
Bought 4 Motorcraft FL 910S filters at wally-- just couldn't pass up the deal of $3.88 each!!! Changed out the oil Monday, so all set for another 3k:icon_thumby:

The oil is a good deal too

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I buy my Motorcraft filters at wally world too... hard to beat the price.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I buy my Motorcraft filters at wally world too... hard to beat the price.
When I was with Ford, heard dealers parts managers complain they couldn't even buy them, for what wally was selling them for! I purchased the first one, at my selling dealership, and paid $9.17!!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've thought about buying the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil... the price is as good as the oil filter prices. But I always grad the full synthetic.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Amazon always has the 910s filters for around $3.50. I bought a dozen of them a couple years ago.

Now If only I could find cases of motorcraft mercon v for less than 75 bucks...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
this.

one step forward....10 steps back.:D

this is a small crime, simply is minor compared to the modification they did to the older style ranger/explorer to fit the cammer 4.0 and pushrod 5.0....

the redesign of the hvac was criminal....treason level. went from the easiest cake walk of a heater core change possible...maybe 15 minutes if you just happened to be too drunk to see at that moment

to like 8 hours by the book....:annoyed::annoyed:

dont get me wrong.....the second one i did only took about and hour and a half after i applied common sense and left the book on the shelf......but i really would like to choke the air off of the people that came up with that brilliant piece of work.

there was a plus...pulling a dash for those in the know only takes a few minutes with power tools. but it has to be because the heater core is retarded now....

with the plus..the later modular wiring is kind of cool if you have the right tools to work with...and doing hvac repair is actually easier then a gen 1 for resealing all of the components...like now that they are so old. but which happens more often:annoyed:

assuming the pictures here that 85 managed to save (seems i lost all of mine) are close what actually made it to final production...

obviously the ranger was setup bit different due to work cycle demand limits...if you look at the cooling its like the rs as far as flow path..(except egr)

quite a few changes....ability to have manual fan as well on the cover ect.

like the old rangers....the flow area just isnt there with this setup to wring it out all the way with all electric cooling at the max load under 25 mph....even with the generous oil capacity and oil cooling ...and egr cooling... and tuning parameters.

these same issues face swappers of the other eco motors...just gets worse as we move along from the gen 1 motors to now...

my questions about noted cooling based on observations of the unit in these pictures went un-answered several times, so i assumed the guys we were with at the debut deal just did not know.

the oil filter location was due to 4wd...that was a direct answer.

but cooling after i mentioned the transit 350 seems to get along ok with a much bigger load and engine... just never went anywhere:dunno:.

naturally

i did not think that pulling a tire off would be required for an oil change though. compared to the edge it isnt any harder....you cant even see anything after crawling under the 150's...covers everywhere. and plastic engine oil pans can eat a dik....

clearly...they do not have enough real world people in charge over there...

20 k oil change with good oil might not hurt it....the egr cooler probably will though.

even with the beefed up ring lands on the pistons compared to the 2.0...these i think will benefit from a oil catch can as the first thing a guy does when he gets home to keep them alive...

but the egr cooler will probably offset the good the catch can would do to keep the valves clean. i suspect port injection added to this things future to keep the valves clean..oil changes will be the easy part of diy ownership.
Try a heater core replacement in a 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee....you have to remove the steering column, and the whole dash assembly to get to it....I believe book time calls for 14 hours to replace the heater core in my Grand Cherokee. The heater core in my Bronco 2 and Ranger take maybe a half hour at the most to change, then maybe another half hour if you are slow to top off the coolant system LOL.

I guess the oil filter location in my 84 Ranger 2.8L V6 and the 88 Bronco 2 and 87 Ranger 2.9L V6 are cakewalk then compared to disassembling the driver's side of the Ranger to do a simple oil and filter change.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Amazon always has the 910s filters for around $3.50. I bought a dozen of them a couple years ago.

Now If only I could find cases of motorcraft mercon v for less than 75 bucks...
They were apparently out of the Fl-910s at the time--the ones they listed to me were $6.00 per filter, coming to $29.00 with tax--I had actually order these, as it was the best deal I could find--two days later, I got a email from Wally world-back in stock--I returned the Amazon filters

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
They were apparently out of the Fl-910s at the time--the ones they listed to me were $6.00 per filter, coming to $29.00 with tax--I had actually order these, as it was the best deal I could find--two days later, I got a email from Wally world-back in stock--I returned the Amazon filters
They are back to 3.97. I grabbed them at like 3.57. What I do is just keep stuff like this in my wish list. Go back and check it once in a while and when it hits crazy low prices I stock up. I buy the 5 quart jugs of pennzoil ultra platinum and wait till it hits 19 bucks then buy a bunch. Same with any basic maintenance item. I have more pcv valves and gaskets than I will ever use but they went on sale for less than 2 bucks once...

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've thought about buying the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil... the price is as good as the oil filter prices. But I always grad the full synthetic.
I use it because it is listed on page 321, of the owners manual, as the oil recommended for this 2.3 Eco Boost engine--

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess the oil filter location in my 84 Ranger 2.8L V6 and the 88 Bronco 2 and 87 Ranger 2.9L V6 are cakewalk then compared to disassembling the driver's side of the Ranger to do a simple oil and filter change.
You just pop a panel loose, no big deal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals