• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Change/Hard Start

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,
First Post, 3rd Ranger. I had a few cars in between but I found myself coming back to the ranger. Newest addition is a 2002 XLT Extended cab with the 2.3.
I've only had it a few days, and loving it so far. Not too similar with the site, so be gentle :) I've got a few questions.

I just did an oil change, Mobil 1 syn and a Mobil 1 filter. From what I've read, 4 qts is what capacity is... 4 qts didn't fill mine up. It ended up being closer to 4.5 qts. The size of the filter looked the same as the FL-400's or whatever is stock, so I don't think that would be a factor. Made me wondering if my dipstick wasn't reading right for some reason? I don't want to over/under fill my new baby wanted to know from those who do their own oil changes what they usually put in there. Thanks!

Also, it seems I have a 'hard start' issue. Not anything major, but it takes a few sec longer than I'd like to start. Don't know if it's normal, or a remedy? :icon_confused:

Thanks!

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Nobody knows how much oil their 2.3 takes after oil change?

irishfan84n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it is usually 4 1/2 to 5 in my ranger 2.5 and I think it is the same for the 2.3, but always remember to fill up the oil filter before you put the new one on so you dont get a dry start!! Hope this helps

nh2123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
4.5 quarts is resonable, that is what my 2004 2.3 takes. Also "hard" starts is something to be expected and is a known condition with the 2.3 duratec engine. Nothing to worry about this engine just takes a few more senconds to start than most.

Oh2Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I didn't understand why my dipstick was reading my oil level was so low after putting in the specified qts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals