• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Oil Capacity

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
From what I've read, the oil capacity, with filter change, is 5 quarts (I always change the filter). I put in 5 quarts and it gets to the bottom mark on the dipstick, like it's a quart low. I've had this for 2 years now. It seems like the first oil change, 5 quarts was good on the dipstick. But that might be just memories. I haven't dropped or hit the dipstick. Did it shrink in the wash? :eek: Or maybe 6 quarts is normal?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe the Quarts are not full :)
Oil companies pinching pennies

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your using a jug they are not all the same. Used to be they were all 5 liters up here. Now a lot are having shrinkflation issues.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's a little disc at the top of the dipstick holding the cup shaped piece, the disc should be up in there at the top of the cup, if it's migrated down that would explain things...

That and if you are using a jug, make sure you got a 5 quart jug, I've seen a number of 4 quart jugs lately, usually on diesel oil or straight 30wt where it's normal to replace that by the gallon... like my 7.3L that takes I think 2.5 gallons... or is it 3.5? I think it's 3.5...

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I use Super Tech. The jug says 5 quarts. I shudder to think that Walmart would lie!! :eek:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Have you added an oil cooler? Remote filter mount? Anything like that would increase capacity of the system.

I always keep extra on hand. After oil change, I start the engine and let it run for a minute. Then shut down. Wait for everything to drain back and check it again. If it's not quite right, I add a bit.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Did it shrink in the wash? :eek: Or maybe 6 quarts is normal?
Whatever volume of oil you have to purchase to keep the fluid level near the upper limit of the dipstick hash mark.
I don't personally like Walmart's Supertech, it is manufactured by Warren Oil..........not my 1st choice......

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the owners manual says 5 quarts, put 5 quarts in it. Run it for 30 seconds or so and let it sit for 10 minutes, and then check the level. If it doesn't read full or safe(depending on year), the stick is wrong. In the late 80's and early 90's we had a ton of oil consumption complaints, especially with 302/351 F trucks under warranty. An oil consumption test is required before a repair attempt so we'd change the oil and filter, run the engine, and check the stick. Many. many times the stick read low so we'd cut the appropriate length off the dipstick tube to correct the reading. Then the customer would drive the truck and monitor the oil level, if it was low he'd come in so we could check it and document the mileage. If less than 1500 miles/qt, we'd tear it down. We found one 89 F150 with no oil rings at all on some cylinders but almost all complaints were solved by correcting the dipstick.
The town of Canaan had a Crown Vic cruiser that was using oil so we did a consumption test. After 2000 miles with Motorcraft oil it was still full so we gave it back and the chief sputtered. It came back with another complaint so we repeated the test with the same results. It burned the Amalie oil they used but didn't burn any Motorcraft. I finally got it through his head that the only difference was the oil.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just examined the dipstick. The stick is solid in the handle. The cap is pushed all the way onto the tube. The Full to Add line is 1/2". There is no way there is that much slop. There isn't any slop.

So, it's:

1. I buy a 5 quart jug and there is only 4 quarts in it.

(I guess the next time I'll shell out more money and buy 5 individual quarts. OR I use the wife's pyrex quart measuring cup. Should I tell her?)

2. I was wrong about the level being right the first time I serviced, thus the dipstick or tube has been bad all along.

3. It actually needs 6 quarts of oil. (is that a bad thing?)

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Are you making use of the small or large oil filter?

If memory serves one can fit both the *Fram* or equivalent XG3600 (small) or the *Fram* or equivalent XG8A (large) filter.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you making use of the small or large oil filter?

If memory serves one can fit both the *Fram* or equivalent XG3600 (small) or the *Fram* or equivalent XG8A (large) filter.
Motorcraft FL-1A

Although, the first service I did, I might have used a Fram PH8A

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Motorcraft FL-1A

Although, the first service I did, I might have used a Fram PH8A
Motorcraft is the best choice, Wix (including Napa and Carquest) and Purolator are good ones. Fram would be low on my list, we had a filter cut away display and seeing inside a Fram convinced me.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Every 2.3 lima Ive had has been a 5qt with filter. The only time Ive ever had a oil consumption issue is when the head gasket failed between cyls 3 & 4. The head gasket had also eroded to one if the oil return holes from the head, so it was inhaling oil then pushing it out the exhaust. Went through a qt every 4 miles, fogged for mosquitoes pretty good too. Could only manage 35 mph in 3rd with 2 cylinders. Only drove it that way from town to the farm to tear down & repair. In december of course. Happened to have a jug of used oil from when I had changed oil before, used oil is at least better than no oil.
I did once accidentally buy a “4 qt” jug instead of a 5. I’ve always ran pennzoil with either motorcraft or purolator filters. The tractors get shell rotella 15W40.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Having had a few things apart over the years, the next dumb thing I would look at as is stated it should be 5 quart... There's nothing holding the dipstick in but the bolt for the support bracket off of the intake manifold (pretty sure, don't remember exactly...). Next time you're under the thing, probably with the oil filter off since there's not much room there feel up around the base of the dipstick, there's a ring where it should meet against the block, if that's sitting proud of the block there's your problem... or just unbolt the dipstick tube wherever the support is and rotate it a little and see if it goes down any, if it does bend the support some to match back up to wherever it bolts on...

I mentioned the end of the dipstick because I had to replace mine with a junkyard dipstick at one point because the original was falling apart, it got really silly...

jcwhidby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You might have the wrong dipstick in there. Might be worth checking into that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals