• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil burning

PRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To make a long story short. I was heading up a big dirt road up a mountain to go wheelin with a buddy and when I stopped right before we entered the playground I popped my hood just to let my engine breath and I had oil smoke coming from the back of the block. Checked my oil and sure enough it had burnt up about a quart. I did just do an oil change about 100 miles before so I know the level was right before. Now I was running it really hard up the hill the whole way and I know I need to replace my cam syncro/sensor because I have been hearing it squeaking for about 500 miles or so. Could the Camshaft Syncro/Sensor cause any oil to burn from the engine? I don't have any blue smoke from my tailpipe it was only smokin on the engine. Thanks in advance.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds more like a leak than burning the oil. Check the lip around the valve covers with your finger or a rag (rag is better)...if you come up with oil check that the VC bolts are tight...if they are you may have a leak from some place else...could be where a sensor plugs into the block...most likely the actual oil sensor...but if you have spots that are hard to get at or see you can pick up one of those mechanic mirrors that telescope...some even have lights...and that helps to see into dark areas...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm with Mark. Sounds like it is leaking onto the exhaust and not actually burning.

And no, the synchro drive can't, in and of itself, cause the engine to start burning oil.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
check intake valley bridge too

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks , That could come in handy when I start chasing oil leaks which look to be coming from some where high on the driver's side of a ohv 4.0. Right now, the clutch job is branching out to the most complete brake job I have ever done. New calipers, rear wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, hardware, hoses all the original hard lines. I usually just fix what is busted on brakes. I jostled an an original line and it popped. Could only get a rear bleeder to open, I sheared the other WC bleeder. . When I started twisting off a caliper bleeder I quit. I removed the bad lines with a pair of dikes and a 6 point wrench I have borrowed my BIL's brake line kit. 3/16 tube. a double flare tool to make up all the hard lines. I'm just a shade tree hack, but I'm better than whoever ran the rear line and part of the RF.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like my brakes...what started out to be a "HUH?" due to no brakes turned into my first major brake job...it was a good learning experience...especially in that it was five years after I installed everything that I had to get them to work properly...the truck sat for five years before I finally got to drive it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals