• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OHV Valve Cover Replacement

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 1991 has leaky valve covers and I'd like to replace them. All the kits I see come with the upper intake gasket as well. So my question is do you HAVE to remove the intake to do the valve covers? Seems like a lot of work to replace something so simple. If so, makes me really appreciate the 2.8 in my other truck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have always removed it... maybe you could sneak a ratchet under the driver's side of the intake and get it off, I don't know, I haven't tried but that would be the hard one to get off. Passenger side is pretty easy.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I don’t recall if it was a “have-to”, many years ago I did my 4.0 valve covers but I also had a bad vacuum leak and pulled the intake in search of it, turned out the gasket between the fuel rail and lower intake had “pulled in” at the front & rear. I still pulled the lower intake to be sure ( after all, I was this far in and had the gaskets ) . Wish there was aftermarket 4.0 valve covers, the steel ones just didnt like to seal on the exhaust side even with new gaskets.

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That is where I'm leaking on both sides. I noticed the valve covers don't have those little wings that spread out the pressure. I've got a set of those from another motor, so those will go in when I put in the new gaskets. Appreciate the advise.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It would seem that the Fel-Pro VS50368T gasket set is the best one to use, yes?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Look it over before you start, a lot of early 4.0's leaked at the intake manifold end gaskets. Might as well fix all the leaks. Felpro is my first choice for gaskets.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
You can probably get the bolts out without taking intake off, but; it's gonna be might difficult to get the valve cover high enough to snake the new gasket in there without messing it up.

Might just check the torque on the valve cover bolts. Mine like to work loose every couple of oil changes.

Seconded on the lower intake gaskets. Mine were bad. Changed them with the newer style (ask for a 95 gasket set I think), and still have a small leak at the front...:annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals