• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oh.... P1401

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
98 2.5 auto trans

Ive replaced the egr pressure sensor 2 times. (autozone warranty) still getting the code. the pins are not bent. What to do next? fuel economy is suffering and I do not know what to do!

Help!!!

Tom

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Code P1401-Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic (DPFE) sensor signal was over 4.0 volts.
Enabling conditions: Engine off self test.
Blocking Action: This code can block the following monitors: Fuel control, O2 monitor, catalyst, misfire, and EGR monitor.
Testing: Check for an open ground for the sensor, damaged sensor or a short to 5 volt reference in the signal wiring.

Engine Off:
The EGR can’t have flow with the engine off, The engine off voltage is the base line for engine idle testing. The normal voltage is 0.45 to 0.60 V sensor range. The new plastic low profile sensor is the 0.9 to 1.1 V version with some of the older versions being the new 0.9 to 1.1 V version too. If the signal voltage is wrong check the 5 V reference and ground before replacing the sensor.

5 Volt Reference Check;
Note: 5 V reference is shared with other sensors.
The sensor requires 5 Volt reference to operate properly. Check for 4.9 to 5.1 V using battery – as reference. If voltage reading is too high, check the grounds because they are the most likely cause of a high reference voltage
reading. Low 5 V reference is usually caused by a short to ground.
Sensor Ground Check;
Check for 0.050 volts between sensor ground at the sensor and battery negative. Note: Sensor ground is shared with other sensors.
Normal ground voltage and reference voltage with wrong signal voltage indicates the sensor is bad.
If the voltage is too high check the voltage on the PCM ground to battery negative.
– High voltage indicates the PCM to engine ground or battery to engine ground is bad.
– Normal PCM ground voltage with high sensor ground indicates a prob-
lem at the PCM connector or inside the PCM.

Attachments

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Its suppose to rain here for the next.... well, as far out as the forecast goes. Ill pull it in my garage tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Tom

db796

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where do u guys find the codes is there a spot on this site that shows what they mean...? if so could one of u guys get a link could be useful for me...

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Where do u guys find the codes is there a spot on this site that shows what they mean...? if so could one of u guys get a link could be useful for me...
In the tech library under "computers"

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I know its been like 10 months since this problem developed but I've been super busy and finally had time to get around to this. I tested the voltages for the 3 wires to the DPFE switch. The ground shows 0V, power shows 5V, and the reference shows 5V. I thought there was an internal short in the computer. I picked up a junkyard unit, having the same issue. I have also replaced the DPFE again. Once again, i am stuck. HELP

Thanks,
Tom:annoyed:

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I still need help with this.

Tom:icon_confused:

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried running vacuum to the EGR valve and see if the engine runs rough or dies? Take both hoses off of the DPFE, start the truck and see if exhaust comes out. Both hoses are on and not blocked?

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your little tube in the intake that goes from the valve to the intake might be clogged. Carbon likes to build up in the intake...

Before:

After:

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
neither of the hoses are cracked or clogged. When vacuum is applied to the egr valve the engine stumbles and almost dies. Im starting to lean towards a short in the wiring?

Tom

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

thoorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Brwntom,

Did you ever get this solved? I am having the same issue on my Ranger. I am getting p1401 code and get 5V on both vref and the signal line (pins 1 and 3). I was thinking that maybe the PCM is bad but then saw that you changed yours and it didn't help.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I changed my DPFE & hoses, and p1401 went away. Yay!
BTW, stick to Motorcraft DPFE (I bought mine $74 from Rockauto), cuz they lasted longest. Whereas other manuf DPFE failed prematurely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals