• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oh, LOOK! Not ANOTHER V8 build thread!!!

rusty shackelford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i just said that they make them and its not all that hard to find them. but anyways, onto the point. for 28oz its not all that hard to send the explorer 50 oz off to have it re balanced. its done all the time to use the explorer front dress on 351's. damper dudes does a lot of them for the early bronco crowd.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now my turn to ask a question. Why would an Explorer damper be needed for a 351 running Explorer FEAD? Wouldn't they use a distributor, or a cam position sensor where the distributor normally goes? As such they should be able to run any 28oz damper. What am I missing there?

Thanks for the info about Damper Dudes. What I was finding at the time was researching was that almost nobody would rebalance a factory harmonic balancer. I didn't know if they were incapable or just incompetent but they wouldn't. I had heard of a company that had them available in the past but was never able to find any info on the company (not even name) or the product. I checked them out and when you place the damper in the shopping cart is says that there are none in stock. I'm assuming that I could send the damper in for rebalancing? If so they should mention something about that on the site. I wander if they could even get it down to neutral balance? Be nice to have for a high revving 5.0L.

Maybe I should start hitting up the local junkyards and pick up what Explorer balancers I can find. There's a ton of those short blocks around here because the Mustang guys love to rip the heads and intakes off, nobody ever touches the short blocks. Sad thing is most of the time they almost immediately put the top end back up for sale double what they paid.

rusty shackelford

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the part you are missing is because the pulley and damper is 1 piece unlike a lot of others. that means you have to think outside the box.

some use a distributor, some dont. for the 351 with a distributor you can either have it rebalanced or get an adapter pulley.

long story short, if you want 28oz and want to run the explorer damper, call up damper dudes and theyll set you up for less than a hundred bucks.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My goal is 350 HP, and I have to keep the OBDII computer and all that jazz. If you know how to get me there without a stroker kit I am all ears. This is still in the planning stage as of right now and like I said, this is going to be a sloooooooowwwwwww build. Like it will be a couple years until I will be able to afford some of these mods. This isn't my daddy paying for these, I'm busting my ass for $7.50 an hour at Bojangles FULL TIME so I can save all the money I can for college and this build.

Also, this is a question for all. I want to know how big the injectors I need have to be. Also, I have not really gotten a thurough look at my 302, I want to know if there is an EGR system and if I got some AA or custom long tube headers if there will be a problem with the pesky EGR system.
How about booting on a set of AFR 165 heads to a stock block, 1.7 rockers and you will have close to 400 HP (385ish). There was an article done on it that was posted in one if my threads where I'm doing a poll (gt40 vs AFR 185 heads)...

SVT

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How about booting on a set of AFR 165 heads to a stock block, 1.7 rockers and you will have close to 400 HP (385ish). There was an article done on it that was posted in one if my threads where I'm doing a poll (gt40 vs AFR 185 heads)...

SVT
Dude, thanks. This is the kind of input I really appreciate. Do you know if they're aluminum?

EDIT: Never mind, found the link for them here: http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=21_23

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
BTW, I still wanna stroke her.

That sounded weird.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
As ranger svt has kindly pointed put do a set of afr's, id suggest 185s, and a different cam trust me I have one and have ridden in my combo with a better after market cam and man what a difference. My input ....

Save money on stroker kit, do a new stock crank (it'll hold as much as the block will) do a freshen bore 306
Put that money into BETTER heads, afr 185
Anderson ford cam, comp extreme energy, or custom grind
Vic jr efi intake
30lb injectors
75mm tb

You'd be in it for SAME money and have a 400-425 engine hp good roving small black as compared to a 350 or less hp with those x heads and 25 year old cam

My. 02

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As ranger svt has kindly pointed put do a set of afr's, id suggest 185s, and a different cam trust me I have one and have ridden in my combo with a better after market cam and man what a difference. My input ....

Save money on stroker kit, do a new stock crank (it'll hold as much as the block will) do a freshen bore 306
Put that money into BETTER heads, afr 185
Anderson ford cam, comp extreme energy, or custom grind
Vic jr efi intake
30lb injectors
75mm tb

You'd be in it for SAME money and have a 400-425 engine hp good roving small black as compared to a 350 or less hp with those x heads and 25 year old cam

My. 02
I don't know, I was really set on the E303's. They may not perform as well, but DAMN do they sound incredible!!! That's a trade-off I am more than willing to make.

Plus I saw that the 185's flows better than the 165's and it was listed for the same price. Honestly I was a little sticker shocked when I saw $1600 until I saw in the pricing catalog that it said it came in pairs.

So AFR's will definitely find a new home under my hood. Of all the heads I've looked at they were the first one's I saw that had holes drilled in for the alternator and A/C brackets.

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
Any big lift cam like a xe280hr or afm n-41or even a tfs srage 2 will sound even better than an e303 at idle. All my buddies have xe or tfs cams and sound nastier at idle then my little e303

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
And yes afr will be a much better head than gt40x even afr or tfs, can get them for 900 ready to go.

Even afr 165 out flow the gt40x and there gt40x is supposable "bigger" head .... but flow numbers don't lie.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The only difference between the AFR 165 and 185 is the intake valve. The 165 uses a 1.94, the 185 uses a 2.02 (the AFR205 uses a 2.08). Both 165 and 185 uses 1.60 exhaust, which is why exhaust flow between the two are the same...

SVT

89Ranger5.0

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 302
Transmission
Manual
True but that's not the only difference, the intake runners are also bigger. You can also get a 185 with the 1.94 intake valve. There's more than meets the eye for sure

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only difference between the AFR 165 and 185 is the intake valve. The 165 uses a 1.94, the 185 uses a 2.02 (the AFR205 uses a 2.08). Both 165 and 185 uses 1.60 exhaust, which is why exhaust flow between the two are the same...

SVT
I noticed that too. Makes me wonder why both are offered, especially at the same price.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any big lift cam like a xe280hr or afm n-41or even a tfs srage 2 will sound even better than an e303 at idle. All my buddies have xe or tfs cams and sound nastier at idle then my little e303
I mean i like the sound of a V8 that seems like it's struggling to survive, but too much lope will eventually get annoying. The e303 just seemed like the perfect amount of lope. Not too much, but enough to let you know something might be under the hood...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals