• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Offset and Back Spacing

f1ipf10p

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Couple questions. i have searched over the different threads here haven't quite found the answer i'm looking for. i'm changing the wheels on my 97 Ranger and don't really know how to judge what i should look for. Stock back spacing acording to the dealer mechanic i talked to is 4.5 in, but i have seen on a couple threads that say it is just 4 in. If i'm going with 15x8 i can match them to both back spacings, both of which have 0 offset. i have also read that for a 15x8 wheel you want a 3.75 in back space with -19 offset. so which do i go with??? Any help

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you dont neeed 3.75 backspacing, 4 will be just fine. its only a quater inch difference. Not a huge deal.

f1ipf10p

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks. i though as much but wanted to be sure. any thoughts about what offset i should be looking for?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i have 15x8's with 4" and -19 offset. if your rinning a 15x8, you want it to sit a bit out so a larger wire wont rub. im clearing 33x10.50's without any rubbing.

like above mentioned, you may not notice much, but depending on the tire, it can be the difference between rubing and clearing.

The other thing, if you run a lift, you need that clearance. if i had the stock offset in a 15x8, id be rubbing. (yes i know about the sway bar link here btw)

heres how much a 32x11.5R15 sticks out on a 15x8 w/ 4" and -19

Last edited:

f1ipf10p

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'97
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have 15x8's with 4" and -19 offset. if your rinning a 15x8, you want it to sit a bit out so a larger wire wont rub. im clearing 33x10.50's without any rubbing.

like above mentioned, you may not notice much, but depending on the tire, it can be the difference between rubing and clearing.

The other thing, if you run a lift, you need that clearance. if i had the stock offset in a 15x8, id be rubbing. (yes i know about the sway bar link here btw)

heres how much a 32x11.5R15 sticks out on a 15x8 w/ 4" and -19

ok so here's one for ya. this is what i want to do: 15x8 w/4" and -19 with LT265/75r16e (duratrak comparable size to 31.6x10.4x16) with a four inch lift. nothing else has been done to the truck. would it work? i'm frekin' excited to get started on this build and this has been the best info for me so far. thanks

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok so here's one for ya. this is what i want to do: 15x8 w/4" and -19 with LT265/75r16e (duratrak comparable size to 31.6x10.4x16) with a four inch lift. nothing else has been done to the truck. would it work? i'm frekin' excited to get started on this build and this has been the best info for me so far. thanks
Well for one the 15" rim won't work with 16" tire...:icon_rofl:
But im sure you meant 15" tire or 16" rim. It should fit just fine.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say you should be ok with that set up. here's what 265/75r16 on stock rims looks like with NO lift and i have no issues with rubbing so with a lift i'd say your fine. (mine's an '04 ) to give you an idea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals