• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

offroad light install

ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok heres the question lol i want to have 2 lights on my bull bar and 3 probly 100w kc on my roll bar with 2 rectangle lights kc hilights on there as well ok i wana have them on all on switch. Can i??? and can some make a wire dirgram for me? Thanks

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so you are talking about 7 lights?you can use 1 switch,but will need to use at least 4 relays.i can draw a wiring diagram later,no time now.

ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used three relays in this diagram,you can add more if needed-check the amp draw on each light and make sure the total load does not exceed the relays capacity.i like to use the hella 40 amp relays as they have a mounting tab on them,bosch is also good.not shown,but still needed is a fuse on power circuits to the relays and switch.also,note the orientation of the tabs on the relays.there will be a 5th tab in the middle of most relays too,ignore it-it is not needed for most applications.

Last edited:

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
you'll need (to be safe from fire) at LEAST 3 relays, 3 switches, 3 fused wiring harnesses.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you'll need (to be safe from fire) at LEAST 3 relays, 3 switches, 3 fused wiring harnesses.
3 relays,yes.3 fuses(actually 4-one for the switch)yes.3 switches,no.the load on the switch to turn on the relay is in the milliamp range,and most automotive switches can handle 20 amps or more.so one switch can control many relays at the same time quite reliably.to calculate load on the power circiut of the relay,divide the system voltage into the light's wattage(100watts/14.7 volts=6.8amps.times 3 lights in one circuit=20.4 amps.this is well within the 40amp rating of the relay.use a 30 amp fuse in the circuit)

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As gwaii said, you only need one switch... the only thing the switch does is turns the relay "on", there is no power going from battery to switch to light like most systems without a relay use...

94bigsteele

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
why would you wanna have all 7 lights on one switch .wont that put a pretty big load on your battery?

ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the reason i want them hook up on one switch is because i wana make it look neat and have a factory look..... im gna go to junk yard and yank out the fog light swith out of another ranger and im gna take the covering out and take the demil and cut out the place above my fog light swith look great and look like its ment to be there

ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the fog light switch has a light on it how would i hook it in?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the switch should have a thin red wire with a black stripe,and a thin black wire on it....find those same wires on another switch that is already on the truck,and tie into them.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
why would you want it all on one switch? if you want a little extra light on the highway you cant have all 7 plus headlights blaring down the road, why not use a couple switches one for each "bank" of lights? just a thought one for the bull bar one for the roll bar and one for the rectangles?

ranger28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah 93baker you got a good point but see here in wv the are really strick on laws and cops around here will prob pull me over if i had any of them on on the highway..... its crazy i know so only time ill be using them is when i need all of on lol

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i cant see any need for that many lights, but whatever floats your boat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals