• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

official build thread for project "coal miner"

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: My truck is now rolling on brand new cooper discover s/tt, stoping them new tires are ebc green stuff brakes pads. new lights the whole way around, euro styled, all smoked. Then for 400 bucks, i brought home a donor truck... a identical truck to mine. a recent off road adventure.( quad trail) proved that these new tires are awesome!!!!!!

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ended up getting a 2wd frame off a southern truck. . i undercoated the frame put my built explorer 8.8 axle under it with ruff stuff axle swap kit.

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
finally got the engine outa the car time to clean it up. its a 1982 om 617 turbo inline 5. racked fuel pump to 180hp red line is 5g. has a t3 turbo with a turbo brake delete. engine was rebuilt in 92 before the guy died ( I guess the rear main seal went). the car had 400k+miles on it. and still ran like a raped ape. hears a few pics

Last edited:

Ruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good! Keep updating

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry no recent update: so far working on engine mounts got to lower the rack and pinion and sway bar 1.5 inches to get the sump . The ranger is gutted and ready for transfer I also made a lighter step side bed for the truck since I am going the street truck route. Pics to come

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tonight I unbolted the rack and pinion and the sway bar. And ground down the frame again.... wasent happy with the undercoating so I shot some primer on it

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finished the lower pinion. The engine is sitting where its should be. And shockingly the tranny mount lines up mount

joecool85

Reaction score
is that a FFV 3.0 in there? I'm getting about 12 city with my 3.0 FFV on ethanol with 4:10's and an auto...
Something is wrong. I get 20mpg average, 21mpg highway, 17mpg city in my 5spd 3.0 Flex w/4:10 gears. I have 245/75/16 tires. This is running regular gas which here in Maine has "up to 10% ethanol content".

Awesome project btw, consider me subscribed.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I moded the maf on mine near the end with street tires I got 20 with off road 17. Consider your self lucky

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update got the engine mounted I'm collecting the oil for it I'm gonna run royal purple fluids the whole way around I got a oil pan seal on order I got to relocate the oil drain

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, great build. I swapped that engine into a Cherokee with a gm700r4 4x4 trans. It went along good and got 30mpg too boot! It was my DD for almost 2yrs, then sold it to build my Ranger with a Kubota diesel. It's a 2.2 4cyl that I turboed. It's 2wd and mated to the mazda 5spd. I am getting over 40mpg with this rig, thats why I sold the Jeep as max mpg was my goal. Keep up the good work, you will be happy with it, but I belive you would like it even more with a 5spd.

joecool85

Reaction score
Hi, great build. I swapped that engine into a Cherokee with a gm700r4 4x4 trans. It went along good and got 30mpg too boot! It was my DD for almost 2yrs, then sold it to build my Ranger with a Kubota diesel. It's a 2.2 4cyl that I turboed. It's 2wd and mated to the mazda 5spd. I am getting over 40mpg with this rig, thats why I sold the Jeep as max mpg was my goal. Keep up the good work, you will be happy with it, but I belive you would like it even more with a 5spd.
Ranger + Kubota engine...? We needs pics and maybe even a whole thread about it, that sounds cool!

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about that at one point our farm tractors are Kubota they are IMO the best diesel tractor out there . And I would love a 5 speed ..... but that'd later down the road. The engine is finally fitted the the frame for the last time. And had her running on the frame as a test ( just because :D) I haven't really ran it since I racked the pump and she is blowing a lot of grey . Hehehehehe.

Last edited:

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya, I kinda went the Kubota route by accident. I was planning the Benz for the Ranger, found a stick flywheel for it but discovered the Ranger bellhousing was too small for the flywheel, so it was find a t5 trans or try the Kubota (it was sitting in the bed waiting to be transplanted into my bobcat skid loader). I had nothing to loose but my time, and it turned out better than I had expected. I failed at loading pix on this site, better in the shop than on the computer!

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. I'm reusing the Benz transmission So I dident have that problem. I gotta figger out a drive shaft though .
Edit: FTE where are u located at

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals