• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

alters1did

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First guess, overdrive clutch and/or od overunning roller clutch.
Hello fordman.. and Ronin

I have this issue with my 1991 ranger 2nd 4.0. No overdrive. I have hard reverse then 1.2.3.but no 4. I drive till about 45/50 nph and I'm able to move the shifter over to the od position. Come to a stop light and repeat. I've had the speedometer act funny so I replaced the speed sensor. Also the shifter isn't quite perfect on the position it actually is, like on od it's actually in between d and od. Don't know if that would actually matter. Previous owner replaced the steering column and did a poor job. Any light on this will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance and sorry for the super bump

alters1did

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
*1991 ford ranger 2wd 4.0

penguin8079

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1991 A4LD - Torque Converter Cover?

Hi there! I am trying to remove this transmission to take it for rebuilding (trying to save the $400) but I am stuck at #4 on the removal checklist! I need to remove the torque converter cover. I don't see anything near the bell housing that looks like it can be unbolted or removed to provide access to the torque converter bolts. Can someone out there tell me where to look for this cover, or point me to a thread where I might find out more? I feel like this should be very simple but it's driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for any help!

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there! I am trying to remove this transmission to take it for rebuilding (trying to save the $400) but I am stuck at #4 on the removal checklist! I need to remove the torque converter cover. I don't see anything near the bell housing that looks like it can be unbolted or removed to provide access to the torque converter bolts. Can someone out there tell me where to look for this cover, or point me to a thread where I might find out more? I feel like this should be very simple but it's driving me crazy. Thanks in advance for any help!

It's been awhile since I had to remove mine (thank god), but I think you have to go through the starter hole to get to the bolts.

Robert

Posted using a spiderweb, and a picture frame.

penguin8079

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you! That makes sense; I'll try that next. I appreciate your reply - thanks again!

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Think I may have a new one for ya...lol
92 2.9 with a4ld. If I shift to od from a stop it seems to start in the wrong gear and has to downshift at take off. Almost seems like od is engaged all the time in all gears. When starting in drive all is normal. Fluid is clean and not burnt and no other problems.
William

JGenaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok lets give this a shot here. bought a 94 ranger 4x4 4.0. guy said it needed a new kickdown cable, once i get it up to 2500rpms i let off the gas and gas again and it shifts and then all the other gears shift normally. now i picked another one up at the junkyard and was wondering... does that cable hook to any other bracket or clip besides the one on the firewall, pedal, and trans????????

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
ok lets give this a shot here. bought a 94 ranger 4x4 4.0. guy said it needed a new kickdown cable, once i get it up to 2500rpms i let off the gas and gas again and it shifts and then all the other gears shift normally. now i picked another one up at the junkyard and was wondering... does that cable hook to any other bracket or clip besides the one on the firewall, pedal, and trans????????
If it is not changing from 1st to 2nd unless you let off the gas, it isn't the kick down cable, it's the governor sticking, mine has that problem when it's cold, but once it warms up it's ok.

all the kick down cable does is shift the trans to a lower gear when you gas on it to pass or speed up.

also my kick down hooks to the gas pedal on my Bronco II, but on the Ranger, it hooked to the throttle body.

Robert

posted using a white board and permanent marker.

afudge85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got my 85 bronco ii up and running! But now I seem to have a pretty serious transmission problem hopefully someone can help. While driving at speed (50-60mph) there is a rough grinding sound that comes and goes sounding rather serious it seems to catch sometimes and I then have to pull off the road, put it in neutral until it frees up. At low speeds it's completely unnoticeable. Also when the sounds begin I noticed the vibrations were very obviously felt by touching the 4 wheel drive knob but there are no flashing 4x4 lights and the fluid level is good. Also note the transmission fluid was barely registering when the problem started but is full after about a quart and still doesn't look burnt. If any one has any information on where to start I would appreciate it.

fordboy93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1993 ranger 3.0 a4ld no 2-3 shift

hello i have a 93 a4ld i started with no 1-2 shift unless i was around 3500 rpm, i replaced modulator and adjusted and have 1-2 shift around 2000 rpm, now my problem is im getting no 2-3 shift and it seems like its going from 2nd to 4th if i put in od it starts in 2nd and in first i have 1st however i just get high revs when selecting 2 or 3 on the shift selector.... i adjusted bands, removed valve body and the 3-4 solenoid was not as tight as the lock up solenoid the 3-4 had play..... anyhow i was wondering what could cause the no 2-3 shift should i replace the servos and solenoids i dont see how either could cause a no 2-3 shift any informaton would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
hello i have a 93 a4ld i started with no 1-2 shift unless i was around 3500 rpm, i replaced modulator and adjusted and have 1-2 shift around 2000 rpm, now my problem is im getting no 2-3 shift and it seems like its going from 2nd to 4th if i put in od it starts in 2nd and in first i have 1st however i just get high revs when selecting 2 or 3 on the shift selector.... i adjusted bands, removed valve body and the 3-4 solenoid was not as tight as the lock up solenoid the 3-4 had play..... anyhow i was wondering what could cause the no 2-3 shift should i replace the servos and solenoids i dont see how either could cause a no 2-3 shift any informaton would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Most of the time, a delayed 1-2 shift is a stuck governor, not all the time, just most of the time, but you might want to have it checked.

Robert

posted using a frozen bug and a blue blanket.

fordboy93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the time, a delayed 1-2 shift is a stuck governor, not all the time, just most of the time, but you might want to have it checked.

Robert

posted using a frozen bug and a blue blanket.
the 1-2 shift was fixed if you read the post im having a 2-3 shift issue, lots of info for 1-2 shifts and 3-4 but not alot on 2-3 shift issues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My situation is I was driving doing 55 mph and all of a sudden the engine revs freely like it is in neutral. I am in gear, but no forward movement. As the truck is slowing down I start shifting it into different gears to see if anything works. Nothing. As I almost come to a stop, it all of a sudden catches and I am able to accelerate. I manually shift back up through the gears, but when I put it into OD the engine revs freely again. So I leave it in Drive and limp it home.

I park it in the driveway and check the trans fluid. Fluid is full, red, and doesn't smell burnt. I jump back in and I have no forward gears, but I do have reverse. Don't have time to mess with it so I leave it for a couple of days.

Find time to do some more checking. No leaking fluid, no forward gears, but still have reverse. I decide to try the transfer case. 4-hi, still nothing. 4-low and I have forward movement except for in OD. I put it back into 2WD and I still have forward movement in all gears except for OD.

So what does this mean and how do I fix it?:icon_confused:
My A4ld is doing the same thing now. I have to keep it in drive to get it anywhere. Im wondering if you have solved your problem and can tell me what it was.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
My A4ld is doing the same thing now. I have to keep it in drive to get it anywhere. Im wondering if you have solved your problem and can tell me what it was.
On the side of the passenger side of the case, check those two big round things and make sure the rubber cups are not tore or cracked.

Robert

posted with a ice cream stick and broken glasses.

softshellcrab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Dominus Vobiscum
One More problem

I did a 5" lift and 32" tires, I changed the speedo gear to 21t, and when I took it out to check the speedo, the transmission surged at about 45. I took it out of OD and put it in D and it stopped. So I assume that the OD is not liking the new speedo gear, or is that possible? The truck was running pretty good except for being 15-20 over on the speedo. I guess tomorrow I'll put the old gear back in and see if that corrects the problem. My tranny does have a VSS sensor on it, the only thing I can ascertain is that I need to reset the computer, maybe it forgot where its at. The speed is right on now, darn!

90 2.9L 2WD 125,000 4.68 rear

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals