• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Just follow the post in the technical forums, the hardest part is getting all the parts, also unless you find a ecu from a 5 speed with your engine size, your check engine light will come one and stay on.

I have most of the parts that I have been collecting for over 6 months now, I plan on changing my 89 BII from a auto to manual.

Robert
The check engine light will stay of, then only thing the computer dose is control 3/4 shift and tc lock up, manual computer would be better though because it holds a high idle for a sec when the clutch is depressed for a smoother shift, been there, done the m5od swap now back to a4ld now after blowing 3 m5ods

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Would also like to add ran both auto and manual computers with manual trans, if I remember right the auto computer made the engine idle at about 1000 rpm but I'm thinking that was because there was no torque converter to "lug" it down at an idle

Sent from my SCH-R830 using Tapatalk

jhammel85

I had to clean my governor to get it to start shifting into second when cold. Works fine now...If it does hang up, I can run it in 1st then around 2500 put it in drive. Then it's unstuck and works fine.

My fluid is dirty. I need to change it and filter but it honestly worries me a bit to do it. Fresh fluid might wreak havoc, I dont know...

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Ok, that's what I was kind of leaning to, checked vac mod last weekend, adjusted bands and a fee other things and nothing. I'll try cleaning gov this weekend and see what happens

jhammel85

Try running it in 1st and bump to Drive. It will usually unseat it. Chances are though, you will need to drop the TC and clean it out. Super simple to do just make sure you fill it with the correct fluid and have black RTV on hand for the TC / Tranny.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Been manually shifting for now and been doing good, if I shift to drive too soon it will rev up like it hit neural, drop back to second and grabs right away then I can get drive

jhammel85

Good (in a way). Sounds like you also just have a stuck governor. See if cleaning helps. If your fluid is as dirty as mine, It could be causing it to stick.

If youre brave enough, go for replacing the fluid and filter.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
I'll do fluid and filter, did it about 50,000 ago when I got the trans and it had about 125000 on it and she's still going strong except the hopefully sticking governor

jhammel85

Good. I have no idea how old my fluid is. I've had the truck for about 60k and it was dirty then. It's got almost 200k on it now and I got it at 130k.

You might still have to go in there and clean up the governor but at least you know the governor and fluid change will help....For what it's worth, I'd look into getting a 35mm weight for the governor. Just google A4ld Governor 35mm weight and it'll come up. its about 8 bucks and it'll unseat the governor if it ever gets stuck again. The bigger weight helps keeping binding at a minimum anyway.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Ok I'll look into that thanks for the tip

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Well turns out my feeling that someone else was in my tranny before I got it was right. The gov valve is not there just the spring and counter weight are there. Guess it's looking like ordering a new valve

jhammel85

You'll find that there are a few Gov valve styles out there. Mine only had 1 groove so you're should also be a one groove Gov.

sledneck07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Where did you find it? I've looked for over an hour and haven't found one yet

jhammel85

Sonnax Part Numbers are below. I got mine from wtttrans.com

U56680A Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680AA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 2 Grooves).

U56680AB Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 3 Grooves) .

U56680B Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .326OD) 1990-95 3.0L.

U56680C Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).

U56680CA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has No Groove).

D56681-1 Governor Body, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) 2.3L 1989-90.

S56681-4B Governor Weight, A4LD (35mm OD).

The items i bought were in bold. You should check your parts before you buy to make sure you're right.

ravingracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 B4000 with the A4LD, and the torque converter is staying locked all the time when in 3rd and OD, when coming to a stop it bogs the engine down a lot, until it shifts down to second. I am trying to figure out where to start the troubleshooting. Any ideas?

UPDATE 1/28: Problem fixed! I found a wiring schematic for the 3-4 shift solenoid and TC lockup solenoid, and tested wiring. It was getting a constant ground. I disconnected the computer and the plug on the trans, and tested the wire. It was grounded, so there was a short in the harness. I ran new wiring to it, problem solved!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals