• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official 4R44E Problem Thread!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
5r and 4r are the same internally, just a software change so even a 5r on a 4r computer would just run without using the fake second gear though right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
5r and 4r are the same internally, just a software change so even a 5r on a 4r computer would just run without using the fake second gear though right?
The valve body is different, and so is some of the wiring IIRC. Its enough to make it funky if you have the wrong stuff.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not to derail here but any idea what exactly is different on the valve body. Cause the shift kits are the same for the 4r and 5r with the same instructions and diagrams?

My transgo kit fit both and had no seperate instructions.

20181001_113510.jpg
20180930_203452.jpg

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
He always seems to pop in just in time to make us all look dumb. :icon_rofl:

kennychainsaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I found some small metal parts in the bucket after changing my transmission filter. (see picture below) The small fragment was stuck to the magnet. The small round things do not stick to a magnet.

The fluid was practically black. A few months ago, it failed to go forward after stopping at a stop sign. I had to put into second in order to move. At this point, I bought a siphon pump and took out a quart, replaced a quart, then did the same thing the next day. It ran better and I didn't experience failure to move. Today was a day off of work, and I used it to work on the truck! To my dismay, it looks like some parts of a valve or something was left down in the pan...

the truck is a 2001 Ford Ranger, Edge. 3.0L 6cyl, Automatic transmission.

What should I do?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found some small metal parts in the bucket after changing my transmission filter. (see picture below) The small fragment was stuck to the magnet. The small round things do not stick to a magnet.

The fluid was practically black. A few months ago, it failed to go forward after stopping at a stop sign. I had to put into second in order to move. At this point, I bought a siphon pump and took out a quart, replaced a quart, then did the same thing the next day. It ran better and I didn't experience failure to move. Today was a day off of work, and I used it to work on the truck! To my dismay, it looks like some parts of a valve or something was left down in the pan...

the truck is a 2001 Ford Ranger, Edge. 3.0L 6cyl, Automatic transmission.

What should I do?
You had a cork gasket, those are spacers built into that gasket to keep it from getting over tightened(cork performs best at a certain thickness)
It's likely the factory gasket, they won't be found in your replacement, just be sure to get em all out of the pan.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Keep this thread going. Thanks to everyone for any info posted on these transmissions.

kennychainsaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You had a cork gasket, those are spacers built into that gasket to keep it from getting over tightened(cork performs best at a certain thickness)
It's likely the factory gasket, they won't be found in your replacement, just be sure to get em all out of the pan.
awesome, thank you. I pulled the old gasket out of the trash and only 4 little spacers were missing. It seems I found them all. Time will tell if the filter change and new fluid will keep me on the road!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
awesome, thank you. I pulled the old gasket out of the trash and only 4 little spacers were missing. It seems I found them all. Time will tell if the filter change and new fluid will keep me on the road!
Good luck Kenny, I'm worrying with one myself

meich75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 that has to rev high to engage transmission. It is the same for forward and reverse. Fluid smells a little burnt but is light red. Can't confirm if it was recently changed since I just bought it for cheap. Dropped the pan and the was a thin dark grey film on the magnet and pan. Can I possibly get it going with just a shift kit to fix the valve body or am I looking at a full rebuild?

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in this mess too. Already had 4r443 in 96 ranger 2wd rebuilt once less than 3 years agoand after not even 10k miles its undriveable because it jumps in and out of random gears at any time cold or hot and I don't really wnat to take it back to that shop for another rebuild and though they have good rep, still work is questionable when its does this so soon[miles wise] after a rebuild.Its only had a couple 5 hour one way trips. I am guessin the shift solinoids are screwed, and shop didn;t replace , to probably get me back in shop and spend more money.. NOT...I am going to switch the truck to M5ODR1 ,then figure out the 4r44e myself and have it as a spare as I have a 98 2.3 auto waiting too.. Does anybody know if the 98-2001 2.5 m5odr1 fits behind the earlier 2.3 and the earlier [93-97] truck? I think it does, but i keep gettin yes and nos and got a line on a trans..If anyone here has parts let me know i need everything for the swap pedals master slave flywheel clutch [driveshaft??] etc TIA get me at hawgford@windstream.net

LilRedVelvet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger but Automatic, and a 1992 Ranger with 5 speed and 4x4. Located in Philadelphia. 1992 trans has under 100k miles and did its job well. Off for its second life.

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got a 4R44E issue for you...

Ballooned torque converter.
Looks like I'm going to be opening it up sooner than I wanted.

2001 2.5L 172,000 mile Minnesota work truck, clapped out rust bucket purchased at auction ($300) for the driveline.
Appears to be all original except the exhaust. Someone used coathangers to create a mount to hang a generic muffler to the cat output flange.

Engine interior was spotless, no issues other than the failed thrust bearing that eventually ate the crankshaft.
The trans has used, unburnt fluid and functions as expected.

Attachments

Last edited:

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Not common on this unit at all. Really not on any non modified unit. If the truck was used to tow or carry a heavy load continuously in a partial stall condition this might happen. Trashing the pump would be more probable.
Brad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals