• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

off road x pipe :)

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
haha i was just watchin the kenne bell cobra mustangs with the x pipes. they sound soooooo good. and was wondering how it would sound on a ranger 4.0l. i know it would be all custom but it would be rad if someone guinea pigged it :) my truck hardly likes the single in/ dual out 2.5 in side exit, so i assume back pressure would destroy

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
sounds interesting do you have a link to a photo of how they are constructed? i think we can discuss the design theory.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
And x pipe would take up a lot of room for presumably little benefit.

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
there are several different companies that make the x pipe for various year mustangs. Bassani was the one that most of the cobra guys were running. it wouldnt necessarily be for any gains. i doubt you would get any unless you were running a forced induction system. i was just curious about the sound that you would get from running an x pipe with dual mufflers in the rangers. wondered if anyone had ever seen anything like that on a ranger before.

i havent seen any other kits except for the mustangs. flowtech i believe makes a universal x pipe but it doesnt do much to impress.

i think it could be done but finding the shop willing to dive into it would be a bit rough. thats a lot of custom pipe work. and LOTS O MONEY :)

they just sound gorgeous though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk23XzXgWUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH_WXCThC34

http://images.autoanything.com/images/products/med/exhaust_systems/bassani_x_pipe_hero.jpg

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
not really if you found a junkyard pipe and cut the x member out and cut your y pipe b4 it turns and run dual pipes back then angled the pipes together to meet the x pipe that would work. just cost you some cutting, about 14' of pipe and welding. my thing is how would it clear the gas tank? or does it converge in front of the axle? id like to see one installed on a car on the rack.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im running an H-pipe equalizer with my duals. H-pipes sound about the same as X-pipes, but X-pipes offer slightly better performance.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
heres my question will an x pipe sound worth a darn on a v6? i seen a clip w/ one on a v6 mustang and it sounded horrible, hollow and lacked the good v8 flutter thru the band. im not sure if it will sound good on a medium/largebore v6. h pipe duals sound good, just have to have the right muffler/cat arrangement. what kind of components are we talking sludge? (cat/muffler combo)

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i ran it for a while with no cats (i know, im a hypocrite) and two glasspacks. now im running minus the glasspacks and plus 2 converters in their place. the sound is about the same.

online, ive been told it sounds good and ive been told it sounds ricey. ive never had anyone thats heard it in person say it sounded bad. personally, i absolutely love the way it sounds. it is undeniably v-6, but ive never heard a rice rocket that sounds anything like it.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
your not a hypocrite you experimented like i did and found the result wasnt what you expected/wanted. i ran a 3 inch magnaflow cat w/ straights b4, loud as hell but sounded good. then i got the ticket and put the fart cans on there, believe it or not down low to about 3k it sounded v8ish, but after that it had the monotonous 4 cylinder tone that was annoying at high speed cruising. if i had a 5th gear it wouldnt have sounded bad, but we all know an a4ld just doesnt have another gear. ive done many combinations on the exhuast and wound up catless cuz its hard to run a cat when burning a qt of oil every 1000 miles, needless to say when i rebuild im def putting on the cat to reduce noise and clean up the idle/reduce pulsation. i will be running a duals setup on mine if i end up running a twinturbo setup on my trk, and an xpipe/hpipe may be used depending on what i come up w/. if im running one large turbo ill be running a large diameter pipe and singling it the whole way. ultimately for boost functions i prob wont connect the two pipes but may be interesting to test in my future builds.

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

I had the bassani or-x on my gt..

with their catback.. it was a full stainless system and resonated burbled and growled like nothing you have ever heard!

i am fairly certain that there would be no way to duplicate with the 4.0 besides stainless is really expensive!

Dam i miss the sound..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals