• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Off Road Lighting Question

SmokedOut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, i have a 2009 ranger sport 4.0L and i recently installed a set of PIAA 510 driving lamps, i have every thing hooked up exept for the "switch power" wire, i had it run directly to the battery and they work, but i would prefer that it be wired so it gets power when i turn the ignition on, any help finding where i can tap in would be great, thanks

Quartermile

Look at your owners manual and find the fuse that feeds the panel when the switch is on. I think the one in my truck is white with a pink tracer or something like that.

SmokedOut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, i never even thought of the owners manual, ha.
so i went ahead and rigged up the light switch directly to the battery positive terminal. is it risky to do this, what are the downsides besides leaving them on and killing he battery?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That should be it, I think most MFG's recommend you go straight to the battery... really no reason to run it to your ignition, its pretty hard to leave a pair of off road lights on and not notice it...

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go strait to your battery but Use a relay switch. You can set it up to where the power wire goes from the battery to the relay switch THEN to your lights. You then use another power sorce such as a headlight fuse (or any power supply that is only activated by the truck being on) to a switch which you then run to the relay switch to tell it to turn on. This a way your power is running strait from your battery to the lights and your switch is only sending a small amount of juice to turn on your lights.

i will try to diogram it a lil lol..

Ground wire-------Relay switch Ground

Battery----------->Relay switch power----------->offroad lights

Fuse panal------->On/offswitch------->Relay switch on/off supply

Sorry couldnt do it the way I wanted to......kept putting things in the wrong place I will try to do something on Paint or something and post it.

Last edited:

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok lets try this....

This away your not putting all the power through your switch. I know personally I have burnt up switches from running to much juice through them. This keeps that from happening and your lights to getting all the power they can.

SmokedOut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the diagrams, i just ended up running the switch power off the battery and its all good.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just got my KC's, and they provide an in-line fuse to go between the battery and the switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals