• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OEM Keyless Entry On a '93

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I'm converting my manual doors to power doors and once that's done I want to get keyless entry, but an OEM one. Reason being is I just want to have everything OEM as possible for the year. In the brochure they have a keyless entry system, but I don't know if it ever went into production. If so, anyone ever have it? Maybe part number?

I have seen other OEM modules, but for either the probe or other ford trucks, but not specifically the Ranger. Question: are OEM keyless entry units made specifically for certain models, or are they basic enough to be interchangeable? If not interchangeable, is there one for the ranger?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never seen fobs like that.

With enough ingenuity and wiring diagrams any RKE system can be put in almost any vehicle.

I had a functional RKE system in my 87 Ranger using parts from a 98 Taurus.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had this same interest a while back but never dove any farther into it than plain research. I wish I'd caught this then because I could've given you a good bit of information. Either way, I was able to dig up a few links that may help you. From what I can recall as far as the compatibility, the system essentially had signal wires going to the power door locks and when the button on the FOB was pressed, the transceiver (I assume that's what it would be called) caught the signal and did processed it. Fairly simple system if you think about it as signal wires and a signal box.

A couple part numbers:
Anti-theft Security System -- E9AZ 19A361-X ("X" represents a single letter, A through G. The different variations came with small additions, like an extra FOB, siren, etc.)
Remote Keyless Entry System -- E92Z-54220K51-X ("X" has similar meaning as above.)

Here's a few links:
OEM Remote Keyless Entry Kit on Ebay -- Has the FOB with "L" and "U" buttons "lock" and "unlock."
OEM Security System/Remote Start on Ebay
Wiring Info -- Browse through the different vehicle's charts from different years, models, etc to gather information about how it all works.

Almost forgot to add this:
It's seems to show an optional security system being available for all 85+ light trucks. This is straight from the master parts book.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Have seen the remote in the first picture way in the past. When I worked at Ford years ago, knew the alarm guy there really well. From what I remember any Ford alarm can be used in any Ford vehicle. Same as walking to an audio shop and ask for a security system, yes they will ask what kind of vehicle you have...yet it can be installed. Any alarm system can be installed into anything. Give you props for wanting to stay 93 with everything on your Ranger.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I've never seen fobs like that.

With enough ingenuity and wiring diagrams any RKE system can be put in almost any vehicle.

I had a functional RKE system in my 87 Ranger using parts from a 98 Taurus.
Awesome! Thanks for the motivation, now i'm not limited in options here.

I had this same interest a while back but never dove any farther into it than plain research. I wish I'd caught this then because I could've given you a good bit of information. Either way, I was able to dig up a few links that may help you. From what I can recall as far as the compatibility, the system essentially had signal wires going to the power door locks and when the button on the FOB was pressed, the transceiver (I assume that's what it would be called) caught the signal and did processed it. Fairly simple system if you think about it as signal wires and a signal box.

A couple part numbers:
Anti-theft Security System -- E9AZ 19A361-X ("X" represents a single letter, A through G. The different variations came with small additions, like an extra FOB, siren, etc.)
Remote Keyless Entry System -- E92Z-54220K51-X ("X" has similar meaning as above.)

Here's a few links:
OEM Remote Keyless Entry Kit on Ebay -- Has the FOB with "L" and "U" buttons "lock" and "unlock."
OEM Security System/Remote Start on Ebay
Wiring Info -- Browse through the different vehicle's charts from different years, models, etc to gather information about how it all works.

Almost forgot to add this:
It's seems to show an optional security system being available for all 85+ light trucks. This is straight from the master parts book.

Thanks for the research! Since these are basic systems, it seems like the first link you posted is just keyless entry, but the second link that has keyless entry supposedly too, has arm/disarm for the security system. I presume these actions include lock and unlock? Too bad there isn't a brochure, or manual somewhere that explains this.
Also, the third link you posted doesn't work.

Have seen the remote in the first picture way in the past. When I worked at Ford years ago, knew the alarm guy there really well. From what I remember any Ford alarm can be used in any Ford vehicle. Same as walking to an audio shop and ask for a security system, yes they will ask what kind of vehicle you have...yet it can be installed. Any alarm system can be installed into anything. Give you props for wanting to stay 93 with everything on your Ranger.
So the remote you remember was for the security system only, or did that include keyless entry. And yeah, interchangeability makes sense.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm trying here.. it's a scavenger hunt trying to lock down 27 year old parts haha.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you want it to look period correct, this is the remote they would have used in 93...

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I figured that's the key fob they used in 95+, but i didn't think it was also used in 1993. Hmm...
It was the one that came with my ‘93 Explorer limited (bought used) and my parents ‘94 E150 (bought new, so I know for a fact it was original).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
This is a 1993 part number for keyless entry unit F3AZ-54220K51-A

Seen here with wiring label shown: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Ford-F3AZ-19A361-K-Dealer-Installed-RKE-Remote-Keyless-Entry-Module/184109165084?epid=1517823151&hash=item2addc2ea1c:g:OJEAAOSwWSVeDkIl

Looks to have a starter motor "disable" relay that can be used, but not an alarm like some other keyless entry had
I assume the horn connection is just to confirm lock or unlock command "received"
Where did you get that part number from? The link provided is for a separate system, seems to be similar to 97/98 vehicles. I googled the PN you gave and it's for a newer system still?
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-kit-repair_f3az-54220k51-a.html

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford pre-1999 part numbers are like this

F3AZ-54220K51-A

E1 = 1981
E9 = 1989
F1 = 1991
F3 = 1993
ect...

And this is the year it was first used not the only year it was used, so you could find an F3 part on a 2020 Ford if it has not been changed significantly in that time
So F3 part may be found as OEM on later years
And in this case the E9 version may have been used in the 1993 Rangers, don't know, just found there was a 1993 version

A = generic, not model specific, 7 here would mean for Ranger model vehicle

Z = Ford service department, usually electrical

-54220K51- <<< this is the actual part number for keyless entry not model or year specific
-19A361- <<<looks like this part number was for keyless entry WITH alarm system included in the module

-A = version or kit designation

In 1999 Ford change the first 4 numbers a bit, first number alone is the year
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
A = 2010
B = 2011
L = 2020

Then the following 2 numbers are the vehicle model if its specific to that model
L3 = F150/F250
L5 = Ranger
R3 = Mustang

4th number is the same meaning, the department responsible for design and repair

And Part number and versions also stayed the same

Last edited:

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Ford pre-1999 part numbers are like this

F3AZ-54220K51-A

E1 = 1981
E9 = 1989
F1 = 1991
F3 = 1993
ect...

And this is the year it was first used not the only year it was used, so you could find an F3 part on a 2020 Ford if it has not been changed significantly in that time
So F3 part may be found as OEM on later years
And in this case the E9 version may have been used in the 1993 Rangers, don't know, just found there was a 1993 version

A = generic, not model specific, 7 here would mean for Ranger model vehicle

Z = Ford service department, usually electrical

-54220K51- <<< this is the actual part number for keyless entry not model or year specific
-19A361- <<<looks like this part number was for keyless entry WITH alarm system included in the module

-A = version or kit designation

In 1999 Ford change the first 4 numbers a bit, first number alone is the year
X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
A = 2010
B = 2011
L = 2020

Then the following 2 numbers are the vehicle model if its specific to that model
L3 = F150/F250
L5 = Ranger
R3 = Mustang

4th number is the same meaning, the department responsible for design and repair

And Part number and versions also stayed the same
Wow got it! Thanks so much for the information, that cleared up a few things. Then yeah it's possible they added a new remote entry model for 93. I have to double check the security system. I have to write this stuff down for future reference! Thanks again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it looks like Keyless entry came with and without alarm system in the module

But it looks like "Starter interrupt" was on either, just one more thing to go wrong, lol

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Yes, it looks like Keyless entry came with and without alarm system in the module

But it looks like "Starter interrupt" was on either, just one more thing to go wrong, lol
The F3AZ-19A361-A version im finding is the security system and is considered as an Add-on to the remote entry, not combined. Thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that could be the case but have a read here: http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/remotestart/index.html

This part was interesting
The powercode units have a seperate daughterboard inside them called DNA that contains the programming of the unit.
This allows for inexpensive changes of feature sets, for instance turn a keyless entry system into an alarm.
Note that each DNA cartridge has it's own unique menu of programming options.
Also note that there are two different revisions of the main control assembly, one allows for only alarm & keyless entry functions. The other allows for alarm, keyless entry and remote start features.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals