• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer in 2011 Ranger

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Tighten it until it snaps then back off a 1/4 turn
I'm looking at a white faced gauge cluster to replaced my blackface. It's listed as having 123,000 miles on it. If I remember right the mileage is stored in the computer in the truck not the gauge cluster. So this should show my mileage not the mileage on the truck it came out of -------------- right??

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Nope. You cannot replace the gauge cluster. The gauge cluster and PCM are "married". Meaning the cluster is digitally coded and the PCM must see that specific code in order for the truck to start. The only way to replace a gauge cluster in a 2004-2011 ranger is to have the old cluster and new cluster sent to Fords factory for them to re-code the new cluster to match the old one. And they won't do it...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I imagine it's the same on Rangers... my '07 F250 has a junkyard cluster that currently reads around 133k. The towing company I got the truck from said it was replaced because the gas gauge in the old one did not work. The guy who works there said the truck had 170k actual miles, the title said 217k... I have no clue how many miles are actually on it. I was told that a dealership can reprogram the gauge cluster to match what is stored in the PCM.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I imagine it's the same on Rangers... my '07 F250 has a junkyard cluster that currently reads around 133k. The towing company I got the truck from said it was replaced because the gas gauge in the old one did not work. The guy who works there said the truck had 170k actual miles, the title said 217k... I have no clue how many miles are actually on it. I was told that a dealership can reprogram the gauge cluster to match what is stored in the PCM.
Unless they swapped the PCM with it... that didn't happen.

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo
Go ahead and rain on my parade. :D

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Go ahead and rain on my parade. :D
It's my job. :icon_rofl:

There are white face "kits" available. I've never done one because the work seems insanely tedious as you have to take the cluster apart, remove the needles and carefully lay on decals over the old gauges. Try searching the site, I'm fairly sure I've seen a couple people do it.

But in all honesty I would take the truck to the dealer and demand they replace your blackface guages. Blackface is not socially acceptable in this day and age and ford needs to make this right.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

There are white face "kits" available. I've never done one because the work seems insanely tedious as you have to take the cluster apart, remove the needles and carefully lay on decals over the old gauges. Try searching the site, I'm fairly sure I've seen a couple people do it.

But in all honesty I would take the truck to the dealer and demand they replace your blackface guages. Blackface is not socially acceptable in this day and age and ford needs to make this right.
I hate working on clusters. I replaced the cluster in my Yukon then replaced stepper motors several times on the replacement. Mid-2000’s GM clusters really stink.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Unless they swapped the PCM with it... that didn't happen.
I can't say for sure that they didn't, I just don't know. It's totally possible. The guy I got the truck from is a nice guy but is very, very low functioning.

I do know 100% for sure that I have never read that this is necessary. I read a whole bunch of threads over on ford-trucks.com a while back about this topic (I had a TBC Fault message constantly popping up on my dash) and never, never, never did I see anything about swapping the PCM as well. A lot of guys say they have bought clusters from eBay or junkyard or whatever as "upgrades" for base model trucks and just popped them and and went on with life although there may be functional issues with certain features that the truck didn't come with.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I can't say for sure that they didn't, I just don't know. It's totally possible. The guy I got the truck from is a nice guy but is very, very low functioning.

I do know 100% for sure that I have never read that this is necessary. I read a whole bunch of threads over on ford-trucks.com a while back about this topic (I had a TBC Fault message constantly popping up on my dash) and never, never, never did I see anything about swapping the PCM as well. A lot of guys say they have bought clusters from eBay or junkyard or whatever as "upgrades" for base model trucks and just popped them and and went on with life although there may be functional issues with certain features that the truck didn't come with.
If it's a diesel truck its possible they didn't marry the clusters. Ford gave no give a crap about security to the diesel line. But I know for a fact the rangers with HEC clusters (digital odometer) were always married to the PCM and swaps are near impossible with few exceptions. Replace the cluster with the donor PCM and go through all the hassle of using the donor trucks keys. Or have ford do the work. Ford was sued hard over odometer fraud on their trucks so they made it insanely hard to do. I'm in no way calling you a liar, but whoever did the swap on your f250 must have done more than a simple junkyard swap (again if its diesel, maybe it's just that easy). But like I said I know for a fact rangers are simply not that easy. 2004+ rangers had the married clusters, PATS was all integrated and it's a nightmare to screw with either the PCM or cluster without ford getting involved and not at a dealer level, at a factory level. Even a dealer wont help you with any of that.

@adsm08 is a dealer guy, he could probably give more insight on the legality and ability a dealership has to perform such a task.

I know forscan cant do it and I don't even think ford dealer computers can do it. Adsm08 would know the details. There is also tuners who can fully delete the Pat's system but not sure that is enough to get the truck to start with the wrong cluster.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Interesting. For what it's worth it's a V10 truck and definitely has a gas engine gauge cluster and digital odometer (think 05-07 all did.) I wish I was a fly on the wall when they were working on it, just 'cuz I'm curious.

Looks like you can get reman gauge clusters from a variety of sources, at least for my F250 anyway. Says they need VIN, current mileage, trim level etc so the programming tools must be available to aftermarket suppliers somewhere.

I will have to send mine in eventually to get fixed, the stupid timer chip in the cluster freaks out and the radio, power windows and all gauges just go dead for a while.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
It's all about PATS. An '07 F250 diesel didn't have it. So the cluster could be swapped. Alternately, an '01 F150 gasser did have PATS and requires the cluster and PCM to be swapped together or be reprogrammed. Don't ask me how I know.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Nope. You cannot replace the gauge cluster. The gauge cluster and PCM are "married". Meaning the cluster is digitally coded and the PCM must see that specific code in order for the truck to start. The only way to replace a gauge cluster in a 2004-2011 ranger is to have the old cluster and new cluster sent to Fords factory for them to re-code the new cluster to match the old one. And they won't do it...
You keep saying this, and it is always wrong.

A 2011 Ranger's instrument cluster should not be VIID locked, and should be able to be reprorgrammed into a new truck. Also, if he gets a blank cluster, never used, it can be plugged in, programmed, and the PATS reset and the PCM will accept the new cluster without question.

I also know on the earlier Rangers, closer to 04, FORScan can edit the odometer.

The Ford scanner (and probably FORScan, but I don't know) can do what's called an "inhale" where it pulls all the data off a still communicating module, including the odometer reading, and then load it onto a new (or used) one, including over-writing the Odometer block.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ok so then slap in clusters willy nilly! Wooooooo!

airbourneranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Tire Size
245/45-18 & 275/40-18
My credo

Hey dirtman that is probably closer to the truth than you think, as upside down as the world is right now.(y)(y)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals