• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd issue - armrest over-rotated? 1995 60/40 bench seat

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I picked up a '95 Ranger last year, and after finishing some engine work I am moving onto the laundry list of other fixes. The one I am least likely to figure out and most likely to break something on ....

The center armrest (bench seat, so this is also the back of the 'middle' seat) -- is over-rotated. It rotates upward from the bottom about 90 degrees and stops, with the storage lid facing mostly forward. Then you can rotate it back down that ~80 degrees or so, with the storage lid facing upside down. See pictures.

I cannot figure out how it got this way, nor how to fix it. I cannot open the storage to try and access any fasteners inside (the door hits the back of the bench), and even with significant amounts of force I cannot get it to rotate either past the stop or past the bench so that it is on the "right" side of the range of motion again.

Suggestions?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Not really a bench seat... but a 60/40 split bench.

I've owned a few of those truck seats... never seen that happen. Wait

It appears to be installed incorrectly.... backwards.

FliesLikeABrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fixed. This was my 5th or 6th time trying to fix it, but I always stopped myself short of getting too carried away with brute force.

Here's what I did, in the unlikely case someone else needs to solve the case of the upside-down center armrest in a 60/40 2nd generation ranger:
  1. I put a thin piece of sheet metal on the seat, extended under the armrest
  2. Using mild force, and later escalating to a medium prybar - I rotated it upward until the door of the armrest could open forward. Previously it was obstructed by the seat and couldn't open at all
  3. Now I was able to remove the little cover inside, and take out the large torx screw that acts as a hinge
  4. Protruding from the driver's seat is a cylinder that normally acts as a stop that sets the angle that the armrest sits at when it is folded down. There is a set screw, to allow for fine adjustment of that angle. My set screw was mangled a bit, and removing it left the threads chewed up so I ran a tap through the threaded hole (M5), before reinstalling the set screw
  5. Reattached the armrest, in the proper orientation. The original torx bolt was in fine condition, as was the preload spring/spacer bit that goes under it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals