• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ocd Fabrication & Our Bronco Build

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
What's going on Ranger/Bronco crew!

I've been lurking and using this website for YEARS and felt it was time to start a new account and get into conversion with the real people involved directly to the Ford Community. I own and operate a Fabrication Shop here in Northern California and have been a Off-road / Hot Rod enthusiast sense I could walk. Father and grandfather started the family into this industry and now its my generation to keep it going. So without further Jibber Jabber here is out build.

My Gf wanted a truck after a few years of wheeling with me so we started looking around. I got her eyes set on a Bronco ii. We picked this up a few years back and I've been slowly building it for a great On and Off-road Rig. This B2 can take you to church and threw Rubicon the same day! We have taken it threw all of Rubicon and most of Fordyce Trial, along with some occasional fire trails/weekend get a ways. This build progresses every time we touch it and we have no plans on stopping. I am going to start prototyping a few Ranger/Broncoii Parts here in the upcoming year depending on yours and some local responses I get back from them. But enough about that. Here is a Build List and Photo Dump. Glad to be here and start sharing/conversing a little bit more!

1989 Ford Bronco ii
- 2.9L
- Auto / BW1354 ( Stock )
- Dana 30 Front Axle ( Leaf Spring Conversion , ARB 30 Spline Locker , Chromo Shafts , Chromo U joints , High Steer Knuckle , And G2 4.88 Gears )
- Ford 8.8 Explorer Rear ( 31 Spline , Welded Diff , G2 4.88 Gears , Stock Shafts )
- Custom Tube Front Bumper w/ Integrated Spring Hanger ( 1.750 x .120 Wall Dom )
- Custom Tube Rear Bumper w/ Drop Down Tire Swing Out ( 1.750 x .120 Wall Dom )
- Side Tube Protection/Sliders ( 1.750 x .120 Wall Dom )
- Bilstein 12in Front Shocks
- Bilstein 12in Rear Shocks
- Toyota RUF Front Leaf Springs ( Custom Pack )
- Explorer Rear Leaf Springs ( 2 sets built into one )
- 3in Shackles
- Custom Front Shackle Hangers ( RuffStuff 7in Offset Shackles )
- Warn M8000 Winch
- 35x12.5x15 BFG KM3's
- 15x8 Level 8 Wheels ( Dual Valve Stem , Poly Protection Ring )
- 2in Wheel Spacers
- Pioneer Head Unit
- JBL GTO Door Speakers and Rear Speakers
- Memphis Audio Boat Tower Speakers
- RockFord Fosgate 500W 4 Channel ( Powering the rear GTO's and Boat Speakers )
- Complete Interior LED Conversion
- Front Led Head Lights
- Led Tail Light Bulbs
- 3G Alternator
- ARB On-Board Air
- Hi-Lift
- 2in Rear Tub Modification ( For Tire Clearance )
- Long Slip Front Driveline ( Double Cardon 1310 ; Built by DriveLine Services of Sacramento )
- Intake Box Reseal / Watercrossing Clearance
- RLB.com 4ft Whip
- RLB.com Amber Rock Lights
- Piaa Hi-Beam Front Bumper Lights
- Extreme LED Square Reverse Lights ( Wired into Reverse Signal )

I think that is it but if I do remember anything ill be sure to update it
4530470B-CFA0-4A0E-86A4-7B45E0D25267.jpg
IMG_3427.JPEG
IMG_3429.JPEG
IMG_3491.JPEG
IMG_3558.JPEG
IMG_3563.JPEG
IMG_3564.JPEG
IMG_3583.JPEG
IMG_3585.JPEG
IMG_3586.JPEG
IMG_3587.JPEG
IMG_3592.JPEG
IMG_3596.JPEG
IMG_3604.PNG
haha. Let me know what yall think! Looking forward to break new trails along with other fabrication shops into expanding the Ford Community On and Off-Road!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Looks like a well built toy.

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Welcome to TRS. Nice rig

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Pretty cool rig...

How's the welded diff like the trips to church?

I think it's cool you may have some offerings in the future. We have a classifieds section that is free for all members. However if you want to use the forum to promote your offerings... we have a supporting vendor option you will need look into for that purpose. If you have any questions about that... @Jim Oaks would be your contact.

welcome to TRS...

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty cool rig...

How's the welded diff like the trips to church?

I think it's cool you may have some offerings in the future. We have a classifieds section that is free for all members. However if you want to use the forum to promote your offerings... we have a supporting vendor option you will need look into for that purpose. If you have any questions about that... @Jim Oaks would be your contact.

welcome to TRS...
Lmao, Yes. In parking lots we get quite the stare from car people and non car people for the exact opposite reasons! Sense day one I put in a order with Eaton to get a E - Locker rear for the Explorer 8.8 but sense then and continuing they have no eta or realm of a time frame that locker will be coming back into the market. I'm not a fan of ARB for many reasons ill not mention now because I can go on and on, But the deal I got for the front locker just couldn't be passed up so it was a no brainer never the less my opinion. I love mechanical lockers ( Eaton/Truetrac ), and that is our immediate second option. Ill make that decision once I get her new rear axle build going. We tear dropped the axle tube to a unrepairable state on the Rubicon last season and I just so happen to be putting Full Width Super Dutys under a 01 Explorer, so it'll be the perfect donor axle to build out the Cad file I'm designing for a leaf spring truss that implements built in Leaf Spring Perches.

And yes, I read all the rules for businesses and resale through your guys website and have no problem talking to @Jim Oaks once I'm ready to actually produce or take pre orders on parts. For now Ill just be doing demo Parts on the bronco and the Explorer I'm building to see if the TRS community thinks they want things/parts I make. Thanks for the warm Welcome and hope to see you and the rest of the staff around!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well I for one am looking forward to seeing what you may offer.

I will say there is several that have been looking for steering upgrades... like the no longer available Super Runner Steering.

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Well I for one am looking forward to seeing what you may offer.

I will say there is several that have been looking for steering upgrades... like the no longer available Super Runner Steering.
Hmmm. That's interesting. I don't have a donor TTB set up to reference but I'm sure I can get one. Realistically with cost involved is it worth it to get into a swing steer style upgrade rather then just doing a axle swap or upgraded Full Size Bronco Axle swap ?

YES. I 100% understand that doing a swap is a lot of work and not easy for anyone to do. I'm a 9 - 5 type of guy also and always want to accommodate peoples realistic budget. But with the cost involved I've got it pretty low with getting a leaf spring dana 30 under a stock or modified bronco. when done properly its handling is improved so much it is unrecognizable. I take our B2 on the freeway at 75 + mph ( Gears limit that lol ) and take on ramps as fast as 40 mph with great feedback from the truck. The only reason I ended up swapping was because the money involved in properly fixing the lifted TTB set ups in the smaller form ( B2 / Ranger, Not fullsize ) was extremely higher, yet also a lot of labor. But I'd like your feed back on that though because I don't realistically know the budget of a steering kit like that or the likelihood of sale for the average B2 user.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Lmao, Yes. In parking lots we get quite the stare from car people and non car people for the exact opposite reasons! Sense day one I put in a order with Eaton to get a E - Locker rear for the Explorer 8.8 but sense then and continuing they have no eta or realm of a time frame that locker will be coming back into the market. I'm not a fan of ARB for many reasons ill not mention now because I can go on and on, But the deal I got for the front locker just couldn't be passed up so it was a no brainer never the less my opinion. I love mechanical lockers ( Eaton/Truetrac ), and that is our immediate second option. Ill make that decision once I get her new rear axle build going. We tear dropped the axle tube to a unrepairable state on the Rubicon last season and I just so happen to be putting Full Width Super Dutys under a 01 Explorer, so it'll be the perfect donor axle to build out the Cad file I'm designing for a leaf spring truss that implements built in Leaf Spring Perches.

And yes, I read all the rules for businesses and resale through your guys website and have no problem talking to @Jim Oaks once I'm ready to actually produce or take pre orders on parts. For now Ill just be doing demo Parts on the bronco and the Explorer I'm building to see if the TRS community thinks they want things/parts I make. Thanks for the warm Welcome and hope to see you and the rest of the staff around!
Great rig. I'd love to feature it at broncocorral.com

I also like supporting small business. I will let people promote their products here in returnfor an item to give away.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS

Years ago I was kicking around doing a D-30 swap on something, but then the axle got stolen and I never got around to getting another. Might have to make a point of getting another now…

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Great rig. I'd love to feature it at broncocorral.com

I also like supporting small business. I will let people promote their products here in returnfor an item to give away.

Ill have to jam over there and see what's going on. I have use bronco corral before and I'm pretty sure one of my customer used that site for the Bronco Race Truck I built him 2 years ago. Thanks!

Welcome to TRS

Years ago I was kicking around doing a D-30 swap on something, but then the axle got stolen and I never got around to getting another. Might have to make a point of getting another now…

I hated the axle. Still kind of do. But I am from the rock crawling and race world where no matter what bigger is better, so my opinion is not always best. But for this Rig and for 35's its turned out to be a fantastic axle option never the less. Simple and effective. Id say go for it! I'm going be sourcing parts with Ruffstuff here soon with a few connections to offer a "Weld - In DIY Dana 30 kit" for the Ranger/B2/Explorer crowd. I hope its going be able to get the traction I am after.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I hated the axle. Still kind of do. But I am from the rock crawling and race world where no matter what bigger is better, so my opinion is not always best. But for this Rig and for 35's its turned out to be a fantastic axle option never the less. Simple and effective. Id say go for it! I'm going be sourcing parts with Ruffstuff here soon with a few connections to offer a "Weld - In DIY Dana 30 kit" for the Ranger/B2/Explorer crowd. I hope its going be able to get the traction I am after.
Lol, now I have to ask what exactly you hate about it. I need to do something about the D-35 in my choptop, either chromoly axle shafts or change the axle to something else. I shattered an axle shaft with 35s and I really don’t want to keep breaking them. Thinking about building something else at some point (I have a couple other off road truck ideas in the works). Definitely be interested in a weld-in kit if you offer it.

ole.war.horse

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
DSHS banned Drv
Make / Model
WAbanmanhaters
My credo
Not favorite, find the easiest LAZIEST ! simple way --always without doubt!it`s the most efficient
BAD ASS, ha! love the cable in the back axel. Why doesn't Ford take tips? SSHOULD COME FACTORY LIKE THAT ! -- at least out of CANDADA - Toronto and Calgary , something.

I for one appreciated the post eeeer PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly::::::: (((roll bar underneath treatment is a treat!))

Ltrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
BAD ASS, ha! love the cable in the back axel. Why doesn't Ford take tips? SSHOULD COME FACTORY LIKE THAT
Not quite sure I understand what you mean by the cable in the back axle ?

Lol, now I have to ask what exactly you hate about it. I need to do something about the D-35 in my choptop, either chromoly axle shafts or change the axle to something else. I shattered an axle shaft with 35s and I really don’t want to keep breaking them. Thinking about building something else at some point (I have a couple other off road truck ideas in the works). Definitely be interested in a weld-in kit if you offer it.
To make this short and sweet ill explain MY con's of the dana 30.

1. No manual locking hubs and having to spend $1600 to get them is insane to me. On top of that switching from a good unit bearing to a outdated and not very sealed spindle assembly witch needs much more maintenance. And guess what happens when you break something on the trail. No easily available parts. If you want more info of what I am talking about google " Dana 30 Manual Locking Hubs Conversion "

2. The Axle tubes are absolutely underbuilt and need to be strengthened before ever put in service off-road. BUT! That's a easy and cheap fix. Multiple companies offer 2x.250wall Dom sleeves to install into your existing tubes to make it a .500 ( .5in / 1/2in / or 127mm for you Non US Guys ). These added in conjunction with a Knuckle C gussets like I built strengthen these axles beyond belief and make them much more capable.

3. High Steer options are out there but almost are COMPLETELY Wrong. I don't know what it is about the Jeep community but my Gawd they cant build a drop in steering assembly to save there life. The Driverside Knuckle needs to Built into Double Sheer ( Like you can see in my photos ) or built with a Y link.

4. The Ball Joint Design. This is my 4th set but NOT due to failure. Ill say it louder for the people in the back. NOT DUE TO FAILURE.... Its due to the pure lack of knowledge on the internet of how to properly set the lower ball joint preload/split ring. This had to do with centering the axle in the housing and for slightly adjusting camber ( +/- .5deg ). Every time I make an adjustment a replace them because I have a lifetime warranty. The Upper Ball joint does not move like the lower one does. I had no spherical ball. Its only job is to go left and right in a flat plain of travel. But it does move up and down depending on the preload on the lower ball joint. So with that said. I have a issue with the upper joint not holding up to its job allowing large impacts to bend the lower part of the Axle C due to nothing helping on the top end. I AM switching to Ball Joint Eliminators to remedy this issue but lets face it. Its a $500 fix to do so.

Wiiiiiiith all that Jibber Jabber out of the way. Its more capable off-road then the dana 35 TTB and Dana 44 TTB in a Ranger/B2 platform. As for in comparison to a Dana 44 Solid Tube Axle ( NOT JEEP DANA44's ). If available in High pinion close and cheap enough for you. Its much more capable with a superior Ball Joint Design. Just eliminates you keeping 5x4.5 lug pattern.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The outperforming a TTB depends completely on the application... they're pretty equal I think, I have no regrets keeping the TTB in my '90 and plan on going to a Jana 54 in my V8 Explorer... done right it can hold it's own offroad aside from a few specific types of obstacles... the wheelbase monster gets to the BII's in that setup, 4x4 junkie has been all over that area in his BII and I'm pretty sure knows the area well and built his rig accordingly. In my area there isn't much in the way of rocks and an 8:1 4 cylinder can't do slow stuff anyway so I like the higher speed sand and trails better than full on rocks which is where TTB shines... I'm looking forward to a better weight distribution in the V8 Explorer to expand my horizons...

That said, second gen RBV's are where it's at...

I haven't had any failures of my D35 other than normal stuff, bent the drivers beam a little at one point but that was fixed with a chain and reverse then welding in a support on the bottom of the beam... doing the clearance around the joints and full circlips hasn't failed me yet, around 11 years on the same parts (unless you count parts I changed for no apparent reason or from bending from jackassery...)

I gotta say that rear tire carrier is pretty cool...

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
The outperforming a TTB depends completely on the application... they're pretty equal I think, I have no regrets keeping the TTB in my '90 and plan on going to a Jana 54 in my V8 Explorer... done right it can hold it's own offroad aside from a few specific types of obstacles... the wheelbase monster gets to the BII's in that setup, 4x4 junkie has been all over that area in his BII and I'm pretty sure knows the area well and built his rig accordingly. In my area there isn't much in the way of rocks and an 8:1 4 cylinder can't do slow stuff anyway so I like the higher speed sand and trails better than full on rocks which is where TTB shines... I'm looking forward to a better weight distribution in the V8 Explorer to expand my horizons...

That said, second gen RBV's are where it's at...

I haven't had any failures of my D35 other than normal stuff, bent the drivers beam a little at one point but that was fixed with a chain and reverse then welding in a support on the bottom of the beam... doing the clearance around the joints and full circlips hasn't failed me yet, around 11 years on the same parts (unless you count parts I changed for no apparent reason or from bending from jackassery...)

I gotta say that rear tire carrier is pretty cool...

Absolutely! And by all means, Don't get me wrong in my opinions because at the end of the day the consumer/owner is the one who benefits by his build. I actually LIKE TTB set ups but you nailed it with the size constraints. I Don't see any issue with having a dana 44/50 or even hybrid set ups. Around 2 years ago I got the chance to build a Baja race truck with a Solo Motorsports extended beams kit and full long travel for a OBS Ford Bronco. It couldn't have been a better set up for the rig. But that was strictly his direction for the build. High Speed desert with mild obstacles from time to time. Locked front and rear paired with a Currie 9in and Chromoly Everything haha. Ill post some picture for yall to check out.

And Thank You! The rear drop down swing out was designed in my head years ago just never implemented until I became aware of the constraints someone smaller then me has with loading and unloading the tire. This is the wife's rig after all so I built it to be fully operational for her to manage under her own power. If I could do it over again I would design different geometry to implement some gas struts for easy on the lift. It bottoms out flat and doubles as a work bench. Im pretty well known on the trail as the "Tool Box". lol.

6DD474F4-.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals