• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ocala, FL

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My Wife’s family is heavily Norwegian immigrants, mine are mostly German immigrants and we give each other a lot of grief. I definitely don’t mean any offense.
None taken, I thought it was hilarious. My family is pretty much the same - Norwegian and German... my grandma spoke Norwegian and Finnish. I think some of us got the passive aggressiveness you mention for sure!

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
That "private Farm Land" is mostly thorough bred horses. From what I hear, lots of $$$ in horse farms down there. Silver Springs is near there too. That's a cool place to visit. Far from Disney and other tourist attractions, but still plenty to do. A lot of the city/towns have "Indian" names. Kissimmee is NOT "KISS a ME" but more like "K'Simmy" There is a City called Hialeah, ( Hi-uh-Lee_uh ) not to be confused with the Sport Jai alai ( Hi ah Lie ).
Yes. Horse capitol of the world and lots of $$$$$. You should see the new equestrian center they built. Goes from Alt 27 all the way to 40. I can't begin to guess how many acres.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
That "private Farm Land" is mostly thorough bred horses. From what I hear, lots of $$$ in horse farms down there. Silver Springs is near there too. That's a cool place to visit. Far from Disney and other tourist attractions, but still plenty to do. A lot of the city/towns have "Indian" names. Kissimmee is NOT "KISS a ME" but more like "K'Simmy" There is a City called Hialeah, ( Hi-uh-Lee_uh ) not to be confused with the Sport Jai alai ( Hi ah Lie ).
I've noticed the names when I visited down there. Tohopekaliga, Thonotosassa, Okeechobee, etc. and figured they must have been Native American names. MN has a lot of those too. During our last vacation we got an airboat ride from a guy that grew up & lived in St. Cloud, as did I. But I grew up near St. Cloud, MN. We had fun talking about the mixups that happen. I remember TV ads for that area when I was a kid and they pronounced it as you said. On one of our trips down there I picked up a sixer of beer for my Dad that was called Jai Alai, and I remember the cashier saying he too liked "High-Lie." I was like WTF is he talking about? Prior to that I'd only seen it as a crossword clue and assumed it was pronounced "Jigh-a-lie." I think it holds the record for fastest ball speed in sports or something like that.

I had a pre-interview today so we'll see how it goes.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
We also have some fun names too, like, Yee Haw Junction, Two Egg, Christmas, Niceville, and Frostproof, just to name a few.

Early 2000's I was in Miami for work. We roomed in Ft. Lauderdale and drove for almost 2 hrs in traffic to the site in Homestead. Jai'alai was big gambling bucks then. Yes, fastest Ball sport or something like that. I've seen brutal video of people who have been hit with a jai' alai ball.

Congrats on the interview, Hope it went well.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
We also have some fun names too, like, Yee Haw Junction, Two Egg, Christmas, Niceville, and Frostproof, just to name a few.

Early 2000's I was in Miami for work. We roomed in Ft. Lauderdale and drove for almost 2 hrs in traffic to the site in Homestead. Jai'alai was big gambling bucks then. Yes, fastest Ball sport or something like that. I've seen brutal video of people who have been hit with a jai' alai ball.

Congrats on the interview, Hope it went well.
Don't forget Mossy Head.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
So I had an in-person interview Wednesday and was able to check out the area. With the woods and sandy soil it reminded me of central MN, except there are palm trees. The town itself is spread out, and people seemed friendly. It looked a bit slower than a typical city. Houses seemed to be valued similar to what they are here. I did a few 'drive bys' of some of the ones we looked at on Zillow.

One thing I noticed is when looking up fuel prices on gas buddy, actual prices were like $0.20 higher than what the site said. And they were recently (hours old) reported prices. What's up with that?

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
So I had an in-person interview Wednesday and was able to check out the area. With the woods and sandy soil it reminded me of central MN, except there are palm trees. The town itself is spread out, and people seemed friendly. It looked a bit slower than a typical city. Houses seemed to be valued similar to what they are here. I did a few 'drive bys' of some of the ones we looked at on Zillow.

One thing I noticed is when looking up fuel prices on gas buddy, actual prices were like $0.20 higher than what the site said. And they were recently (hours old) reported prices. What's up with that?
Some stations have different prices for credit cards, for whatever reason, idk. I was traveling this week and noticed at a light that a stations price kept changing. As it cycled through the prices ( LED sign ) I noticed on price had a "credit card" lable.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Some stations have different prices for credit cards, for whatever reason, idk. I was traveling this week and noticed at a light that a stations price kept changing. As it cycled through the prices ( LED sign ) I noticed on price had a "credit card" lable.
That kind of makes sense. They do that here too, but usually it's only a nickel or so. I've never seen that much of a disparity.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I’ve lived in FL my whole life and the humidity is simply horrid. If I’m doing something outside in the summer, what ever I’m working on will get soaked in sweat. Just stand outside long enough and my shirt gets a sweat ring. I find the humidity miserable.

I’ve spent some time in the desert. That was an incredibly strange place to me. So hot, so so hot, yet I wasn’t wet. Then at night it was cold. It was the strangest feeling.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Yes some of the people interviewing me mentioned the humidity and how miserable it is. Growing up, it was always warm and humid throughout the summer, but not quite as relentless as it is in Florida. However, the heat/humidity isn't particularly painful.

I do remember leaving for a trip out to Washington once. When we left in the morning it was in the low 80s and incredibly humid, miserable. The next time I got out of the van was somewhere in Montana, and the temp indicator said 112 degrees. I thought boy this is going to be miserable, but it was not bad at all, especially in shade.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I’ve lived in FL my whole life and the humidity is simply horrid. If I’m doing something outside in the summer, what ever I’m working on will get soaked in sweat. Just stand outside long enough and my shirt gets a sweat ring. I find the humidity miserable.

I’ve spent some time in the desert. That was an incredibly strange place to me. So hot, so so hot, yet I wasn’t wet. Then at night it was cold. It was the strangest feeling.
I agree on the desert. I've live in Florida my whole life too and the humidity really brings out the sweat. The desert was super hot, but not quite as uncomfortable. I will say though, the hottest I've ever been was in Virginia in July. Way worse than any time I can remember in Florida. The second hottest was in Sulligent, AL. Pretty sure they are only about 10 inches from the sun.

Either way, I'll take the heat any day over cold.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The Don Garlits Museum is in Ocala.
North Florida is really the South and south Florida is really the North since most everyone came from here. The dividing line is I-4.
I plan on moving there in the near future. I got my Florida funeral director license, the only reason we stay here is to take care of our folks and we down to my mom and hers and her mom is in hospice.
I hate winter.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
If you have an option on which city to move to, there’s a huge real estate difference. I was looking at 5 acre piece of land with an older but big house in Monticello (half hr away from Tallahassee). House needed work but it was quite nice. Had pool, shed, cleared land, little creek. All in with repairs (around 50k) would have been under 400k. Was also looking at a 10acre parcel for 60k.

400k in Panama City get a cookie cutter house with no land. That Monticello house would have been a solid 600k if it were within an hr of PC. You have to go way, way out of town to get cheaper. That’s probably cause Tallahassee is terrible. Land is insane in PC. Like 60k per acre in the rudimentary searches I’ve done.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Monticello is a very old southern town. Not much to do there if you're under the age of 70. But there are some good fixer uppers all around here. Tallahassee is great as far as as I'm concerned. I own my lil 1/2 acre and taxes aren't terrible on that. I live outside of city limits but you can see the capital building poking through the trees from where I live.

All that to say, That's long way from Ocala :ROFLMAO:.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I don’t even know how big Ocala is. I’ve always thought it was a Monticello with a Walmart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals