• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OBDII delete? '66 289 into a '00 153

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the process of building up a 289 engine, carb'd. Wondering what speedbumps I'll run into shoehorning it into an OBDII chassis....anyone have experience?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'll assume your state doesn't do emissions inspection. Getting it to run will be easy, there are maybe 6 wires needed to make that engine run. Getting it somewhat matched into the truck.... Not so easy. By that I mean tying in things like guages, using the factory ignition switch ect ect. But while you're dealing with that just run it off a toggle switch ignition and a push button starter.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you want things like the instrument cluster to work then you are going to have a far easier time keeping the EFI. If you don't care about things like speedometers and temp gauges just throw it in and wire the bare minimum, starter, lights, coil, alternator.

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I figured I'd at least get the equus tripod and inductive tach. Speedo..I could probably figure something out..equus makes those too.. The dash would basically be all custom though. Airbag computer is completely separate from ECM so that would still function. Plan is to keep electric fuel pump and regulate it down to bowl pressure at the firewall.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are probably not gaining much if any power with a 289...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
270 horsepower isn't an upgrade over a 2.5 lima? :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
270 horsepower isn't an upgrade over a 2.5 lima? :icon_confused:
I guess I missed the part where it was a heavily modified 289.

Stock most were well south of 200.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
270 is basic horsepower for the factory high performance 289 in 65-68. The 2 barrel motors weren't that exciting but there's no "heavy modifications" involved to make 350+ hp from a 289. Its just an early 302. Even the even earlier 260 can make a ton of power and was the original engine used in the first AC cobras.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
270 is basic horsepower for the factory high performance 289 in 65-68. The 2 barrel motors weren't that exciting but there's no "heavy modifications" involved to make 350+ hp from a 289. Its just an early 302. Even the even earlier 260 can make a ton of power and was the original engine used in the first AC cobras.
gross hp is different than net hp.

A 270 gross hp K-code 289 is generally worth too much to put in a Ranger, Mustang guys go nuts over them. One probably wouldn't show a 225 net hp 5.0HO a whole lot.

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
153: 149ft-lb @ 3000rpm, 119hp @ 5000rpm (MFI w 9.1:1 cr)
289: 258ft-lb @ 2200rpm, 195hp @ 4400rpm (2bbl w 8.7:1 cr)

AFAIK it's not a special 289. It came with C80E-M heads. I bored it .030 over. Got a 4bbl 600cfm edelbrock carb with vacuum secondaries, edelbrock dual plane aluminum 4bbl intake. I have standard '66 exhaust manifolds for it. Going with a flat tappet cam xe250h grind, advertised from 600-4800rpm. Might get a set of GT40 heads, one guy has some local and wants $350. I already have a T5 from a '95 SVT Cobra from the same guy.

I'm not here to build a horsepower monster. I already steered away from the roller cams because of the price and the higher rpm ranges/required valvespring upgrades. The faster you spin it, the more likely stuff is to break. I'm going back in with stock rods and rod bolts after I balance the assembly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SAE gross power

Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower, bhp, which was a version of brake horsepower called SAE gross horsepower because it was measured according to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards (J245 and J1995) that call for a stock test engine without accessories (such as dynamo/alternator, radiator fan, water pump),[32] and sometimes fitted with long tube test headers in lieu of the OEM exhaust manifolds. This contrasts with both SAE net power and DIN 70020 standards, which account for engine accessories (but not transmission losses). The atmospheric correction standards for barometric pressure, humidity and temperature for SAE gross power testing were relatively idealistic.

SAE net power
In the United States, the term bhp fell into disuse in 1971–1972, as automakers began to quote power in terms of SAE net horsepower in accord with SAE standard J1349. Like SAE gross and other brake horsepower protocols, SAE net hp is measured at the engine's crankshaft, and so does not account for transmission losses. However, similar to the DIN 70020 standard, SAE net power testing protocol calls for standard production-type belt-driven accessories, air cleaner, emission controls, exhaust system, and other power-consuming accessories. This produces ratings in closer alignment with the power produced by the engine as it is actually configured and sold.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#SAE_gross_power

It is what it is but don't think a 200 gross hp 289 is really 75hp more than a 119 net hp 2.3. You are modifying it so who really knows where you are going to end up though.

600CFM is kinda big, I have a 500CFM on my 5.0HO and I had to rod/jet it down because it ran too rich out of the box (new Edelbrock 1403). Throttle response is nice and snappy too.

On the subject of cams/valve springs arms make sure the 289's rocker arms are not worn, they are a cast iron thing that is supposed to push on the valve itself but they wear and can end up pushing on the spring retainer washer to the point the clips come out and it drops a valve.

On a new engine new valvesprings wouldn't be a bad idea either. The stock ones are 50+ years old, they have done their duty.

Careful with GT40 heads, 289 heads have smaller combustion chambers and GT-40's will lower your compression a tad. Much better rocker arms though. $350 is kind of steep unless they have been gone thru with guides and seats.

Also watch the flywheel with a T5 swap, they changed the balance of the 302 in '80. Yours is 28oz, the original engine hung on the T5 would be 50oz. People swap them into first gen Mustangs so someone somewhere must be making a 28oz flywheel for them.

289 manifolds do fit nicely, I sold the ones off of my decorative 289 to Twister and they fit in his BII great.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree about not using the GT40 heads, your 289 heads have smaller chambers for better compression and if you want a low RPM engine the smaller valves will promote increased intake velocity and fill the cylinders better at low revs. I would only recommend an Edelbrock carb if you don't know how to set up a Holley, the Holley will make more power and have better throttle response. My son raved about the Edelbrock on his T bird so we swapped carbs for a week. The Edelbrock cost me 3 tenths in the quarter and had soggy response. He runs a Holley now and sold the shiney POS. The fuel inlet mounted at the right rear should be a tip off that Edelbrock was confused, who has a rear mounted fuel pump? I have a Performer manifold on my Mustang and will be using one on the 351 going into my Ranger. If I was building a 289-302 instead I would look for an old Holley Contender manifold or a 83-85 Mustang manifold, they are close copies of the iron 289 4v manifold and would help low end torque. If you can stand the weight an original 289 manifold would work good,too. A 1", 4 hole carb spacer will help throttle response whichever manifold you use.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
With a Holley I'd recommend a 600 cfm #80457, it's a basic electric choke, vacuum secondary carb that works great and costs a lot less than a Street Avenger. You may need to buy a secondary spring kit if you want to change the opening rate.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
79 Mustangs and Fairmonts with 302's used a 28.2 oz imbalance flywheel with a 10" clutch that works with early engines.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree about not using the GT40 heads, your 289 heads have smaller chambers for better compression and if you want a low RPM engine the smaller valves will promote increased intake velocity and fill the cylinders better at low revs. I would only recommend an Edelbrock carb if you don't know how to set up a Holley, the Holley will make more power and have better throttle response. My son raved about the Edelbrock on his T bird so we swapped carbs for a week. The Edelbrock cost me 3 tenths in the quarter and had soggy response. He runs a Holley now and sold the shiney POS. The fuel inlet mounted at the right rear should be a tip off that Edelbrock was confused, who has a rear mounted fuel pump?
My fuel pump is mounted on the frame near the fuel tank like most V8 swapped Rangers. Engine drive pump interferes with the steering box.

No complaints with my Edelbrock, it probably isn't the only thing on my truck costing me 10th's in the 1/4. At about 1200rpm it toys with cleaning four MT's.

Starts easy, runs great, no gasket surfaces below the fuel level to leak, throttle response is as good as efi (not laggy the drive by wire crap either). I have had it 8 years almost to the day and have done nothing to it.

Watch the hood height when using spacers, you can run out of room fast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals