• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OBDII code readers/scan tools, any preferences?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Or are these things all pretty much the same?

I ask because I've found a few that claim to offer lists of "most probable fixes" for particular codes in a particular vehicle, in descending order of probability (based on past mechanic reports), rather than just showing a code for "xx sensor out of range" or something like that. Are these features worth a darn? Is there an internet site with the same type of info?

Been searching and haven't really found much, other than a review on Amazon stating that one brand requires you pay a fee to access such info, whereas others don't charge you for it.

Looking for one that also reads ABS/SRS codes.

Finally it needs to be a self-contained unit (no Bluetooth/smartphone/app-based stuff).

Thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How much are you looking to spend?

If I wanted full capability and price wasn't a big deal I'd look for a Solus Pro, you can find them used starting around $1000.

I have used an Actron unit, the high end one, and it was pretty nice. The only difference between the high end one for $150 (ish) and the super duper $300 one is the OBDI adapters.

Identifix does have a reported fix thing, and it is pretty reliable, but it is a subscription service. It's basically Napa's answer to AllData with fewer shop manuals and wiring diagrams.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I dunno, I guess around $200... That's about where I saw an Actron unit that had the ABS & SRS priced at (I thought it also had the OBDI cables too, but I'd have to check again). It was one that claimed to have a list of reported fixes already built into the unit. I couldn't determine if the list was updateable though.

Perhaps I'll have to email Actron since I couldn't find mention of how to update it in the .pdf manual...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Price varies based on where you buy them, obviously. I'm familiar with Advance's pricing because that is where I sold them.

Actron CP9670 Auto Scanner and Actron CP9690 Elite Auto scanner are the same handheld unit the difference being the OBDI capability of the Elite. I have found it finicky and hard to connect to Ford's EEC-IV though.

Updating is done through your PC. They have a site:

You go there, download the proper files, and then plug the scanner into your PC and load them onto it. I have an older Mac unit that is similar to an Auto Scanner that works the same way.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ok, cool deal. I guess I'll go with the 9670 then since OBDI codes I can always pull the old-fashioned way using paper clips & blinky lights.

Thanks adsm. Appreciate your help!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, cool deal. I guess I'll go with the 9670 then since OBDI codes I can always pull the old-fashioned way using paper clips & blinky lights.

Thanks adsm. Appreciate your help!
No problem.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Forscan? Requires a PC.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forscan? Requires a PC.
I like it, used it to diagnose a bad wheel speed sensor (which was actually a wheel bearing dying silently)

I use it with a wifi thingie and my cell which works great... when it works. I was trying to clear an evap code on my wife's car and I could not get it to connect and as I fought it the wifi thing started wanting a password (there is no password)

I need to check if I can get a cord to just plug my phone into the vehicle directly and cut out the wireless. Neat for Dash Command... not necessary for diagnosis.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a bluetooth OBDII dongle and have tried Torque on my phone but just haven't had much luck. It won't pull any data sometimes or won't connect or whatever. My girlfriend has a different one and it was a lifesaver for her Prius when the hybrid battery died - she could clear codes and it would run fine for a day or two, then rinse and repeat.

I actually have not used Forscan yet but I have it, and a USB dongle. I am planning on using it when I replace the master cylinder in my F250 to bleed the ABS valve, and maybe see if I can edit the computer and add cruise control.

OBDII scan tools are not super useful to me because I only have one OBDII compliant vehicle :secret:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I need to check if I can get a cord to just plug my phone into the vehicle directly and cut out the wireless. Neat for Dash Command... not necessary for diagnosis.
If they can do this, you can do that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OBDII scan tools are not super useful to me because I only have one OBDII compliant vehicle :secret:
Same, for most things I just use my Superchip programmer for my F-150. It won't do ABS codes... and of course it won't talk to my wife's Edge.

If they can do this, you can do that.

Actually I kinda like that. Gimmie a mouse over a touchscreen anyday.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im far far from an expert on scan tools but just throwing my 2 cents in. I keep an actron 410 in my glovebox, its a cheapo basic scanner (think it cost 40 bucks). It reads basic codes and has basic obd2 live data. I really just use it to confirm people have loose gas caps lol.

I have a launch CRP129 I use alot when working on my truck (cost about 200) it scans all systems and reads all available PIDs so it gives plenty of data for a little unit. Does some basic maintenance stuff as well like parking brake reset, steering angle, oil and battery reset etc. I really like it for day to day repair and diagnostics.

I just bought a launch x431pro (got it on sale for $1,000) i have yet to really use it but I mainly got it for the bi-directional controls and abs bleeding. Its a low end "professional" unit and doesn't have access to wiring diagrams or any info like alldata but its more than I could ever need.

I also have a blue driver that I used with tourque pro but it just sits in my toolbox now since the crp129 and x431 makes it pretty much obsolete.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks yall for this thread and your answers, it's helped steer me in (hopefully) the right direction.
I got mine today, it's the 9660. It was only $20 more than the one just below it in price $59, and added things I liked. The 9670 was another $40 jump and added things I really didn't think I'd use.
One thing I didn't get was the extension cable because a lot of the reviews stated they'd bought it for no reason they could see. I guess time will tell :)

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals