• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O2 voltage reading 0.00 volts during live data hook up

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hooked up a code reader. An old cen tech from harbor freight. I didn't have any cel or trouble codes. Just wanted to monitor live data. I found that my O2 voltage was at 0.00 volts. It never changed. Any leads to what I should be looking for? I see that I have 2 O2 sensors equipped on my 1997 ford ranger xlt 4x2 automatic with 4.0liter v6. Please help. Any and all advice is appreciated.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If you don't have a light and it does work (Check it when you turn the key to run without starting.), then I'd say the code reader just doesn't speak exactly the same language as the truck.

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I got under the truck when it cooled down and got a better look. I have 3 oxygen sensors. 2 upstream and 1 downstream.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Like @SenorNoob said, some code readers (mainly cheap ones) simply cannot read the data properly. The upstream o2 sensors (B1S1 and B2S1) change voltage rapidly as they sense the changing fuel mixture, cheap scanners often do not have a fast enough refresh rate to see this fluctuation so you'll just get a dead reading. The downstream o2 sensor (B1S2) stays at a fairly constant voltage since it is just reading exhaust post catalytic converter but, sometimes even this data is just not available and the scanner will again show dead info. With no check engine light, ignore it. The PCM is much smarter than a 10 dollar scan tool.

Last edited:

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Like @SenorNoob said, some code readers (mainly cheap ones) simply cannot read the data properly. The upstream o2 sensors (B1S1 and B2S1) change voltage rapidly as they sense the changing fuel mixture, cheap scanners often do not have a fast enough refresh rate to see this fluctuation so you'll just get a dead reading. The downstream o2 sensor (B1S2) stays at a fairly constant voltage since it is just reading exhaust post catalytic converter but, sometimes even this data is just not available and the scanner will again show dead info. With no check engine light, ignore it. The PCM is much smarter than a 10 dollar scan tool.

Well, the scan tool is cheap, but it reads voltage on the 02 bands for my friends Dodge Hemi. He thought it was his scanner as well not reading with my pcm, but it reads his voltage when we hooked it up to his truck. I am having no cel, but driveability problems under hard acceleration at operating temperatures.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Turn the key to the run position (not start) does the check engine light come on, and then go out once the truck is started?

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
CEL illuminates like it is suppose to (KOEO) then goes out when you start the engine (like it is suppose to). Scanner shows no codes.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Then I would have no problems ignoring the live data. If all 3 o2 sensors showed zero voltage to the PCM the CEL would be on, you would have about 9 DTCs and the engine would be stuck in open loop mode. Work on diagnosing by the symptoms in this case. For about 25 bucks you can get an ELM 327 USB adapter and if you have a windows laptop you can use forscan (free software). This setup gives you about the best scanner you can use on a Ford short of a dealer level device.

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then I would have no problems ignoring the live data. If all 3 o2 sensors showed zero voltage to the PCM the CEL would be on, you would have about 9 DTCs and the engine would be stuck in open loop mode. Work on diagnosing by the symptoms in this case. For about 25 bucks you can get an ELM 327 USB adapter and if you have a windows laptop you can use forscan (free software). This setup gives you about the best scanner you can use on a Ford short of a dealer level device.
Okay, I downloaded FORscan. Just the free version to start off with.

on the elm327 usb adapter, will the above link work?

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a free version for phones, this is not full forscan. If you downloaded the windows version on a laptop your good. It's free, you just need to renew the license every 2 months. The paid version is no different you just don't have to keep updating your license. No extra features.

Elm327 adapters are tricky, lots of garbage out there that doesn't work.

This is the one I use and can verify works.

If you wanna spend some more, this one is supposed to be forscan's official device but I have not used it and it costs more.

seanagins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
There is a free version for phones, this is not full forscan. If you downloaded the windows version on a laptop your good. It's free, you just need to renew the license every 2 months. The paid version is no different you just don't have to keep updating your license. No extra features.

Elm327 adapters are tricky, lots of garbage out there that doesn't work.

This is the one I use and can verify works.

If you wanna spend some more, this one is supposed to be forscan's official device but I have not used it and it costs more.

I did download the windows version on a laptop. Beings that I downloaded the free version, how do I renew every 2 months? I will research the elm327 usb adapters some more. Thanks for all your replies and efforts.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Then your good to go. In 2 months it will expire and you just go download the license again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals