• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

O/D Off flickering. 2000 Mazda B3000 manual trans.

Ramsey4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
As the title says I have a 2000 Mazda B3000 flex fuel with a 5 speed trans. The "O/D off" light is flickering in every gear including neutral. Shifting is normal and I replaced the trans fluid after it started lighting up but was not low or overly dirty. Truck has 142xxx miles and I don't think it was converted over from automatic. Any ideas? I figured only autos would have an "OD off" light.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

All instrument clusters have the same lights, so manual trans would have OD light just not used, but it is wired

Most likely an issue with the wire from cluster to computer
In below diagram, left side toward bottom you will see Transmission Control IND, thats the OD light
That light bulb gets 12volts with key on, its other wire is GROUNDED by the computer(PCM) as needed, using Pin1 wire(white/light green stripe) on connector 214(C214)

So either PCM is doing it or white/light green wire is shorting to ground in the harness

Pin 79 at the PCM connector in the engine bay could have some corrosion, next pin over is pin 80 the fuel pump relay ground

Attachments

Ramsey4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the welcome and all of the info. I'll check when the snow dies down. I'm going to assume it's a wiring issue since I did unhook the battery the other day for a half hour and that didn't reset the light. Doesn't seem to affect anything mechanically, other than being annoying, so does it matter if I just pull the bulb if I can't figure out why it's flickering?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can just pull the bulb

If you pull the cluster also replace the 6 back light bubs, just as general service

You could also pull the pin 1 white/green wire out and then plug cluster back in and start vehicle to see if OD light stopped flickering, if so its a wire/PCM issue, if it still flickers then its a cluster issue, pull bulb

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having the same issue with my 07 4.0 Mustang with the 5R55. But it only flickers in OD at in town speeds. Get it on the highway at 60 or better, never happens. It's a P0741 on mine, Torque Converter Clutch Locked Off. Been throwing money at it trying to fix it. Yesterday, my friend who has a transmission shop told me it is highly likely to be a bad TPS. Since around town, it's kind of herky-jerky before the light flickers. Like it's trying to make up it's mind if it should lock or not.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Manual transmissions usually don't have torque converters...

Ramsey4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Manual
Thanks RonD. Good call on the illumination bulbs, 2 or 3 are burnt out anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals