• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

np435 PTO

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Dont know if I have put it in the right spot but figured its a transmission question so here I go.

How hard is it to put one on mine let alone find one? I have read that Fords, Chevy's and Dodges came from the factory with them but am also told they can be as hard as finding a hen with teeth, at least in a JY.

I have read that they can be used for powering wintches, hydrolics, etc... and wonder if they can be used for turning a compressor for OBA, if they can turn fast enough. I am also told that they can operate while the truck is in netrual.

I know space under a ranger is limted but just wondering what you all think. I havent seen anything on here about this subject, so figured why not.:icon_idea:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
A pto will power everything you listed. The most comon applications are for hydraulic winches, dump beds, and wreckers. If you can't find one in a junk yard you can go straight to chelsea, or just google chelsea 352.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The 205 also has a provision for pto, been thinking what I can run with that. I have 2 pto drive boxes, one is brand new air shift, the other is in good shape, cable shift, and one hydraulic motor...I was thunking of a high output air compressor, but still undecided....

SVT

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it have to be the chelsea 352 or are there others out there that will fit. I would hate to sell myself short but If I want to run a wintch Ill get an electric one for my bumper but to run OBA, I would like to keep an AC compressor from under my hood.

From what I see they arent cheap for a new one and not may places sell them either.

Now one thing I didnt find but do they just bolt onto the trans and thats it or is there other things that have to be done?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would call around locally to any machine/hydraulic shops in your area. Who knows, maybe they have a remanned one on the shelf for $150. I think that's your best route as of now.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Your only luck in the junkyard will be an old wrecker or possibly utility truck. Pretty decent initial investment if you can't find good used stuff cheap. There are a few things to weigh out on this. One is finding good condition stuff for the right price. Next would be weight and practicality. For the price you may spend on just the PTO and lines I'm willing to bet you could score a decent electric winch. For on board air I would personally go with converting an old A/C compressor over. Don't get me wrong the route you are looking would be more robust but are you needing industrial parts and more off price for what you are using it for?

Matt

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As for a winch, I may go woth an electric one. I just see having a PTO on my truck as being useful one day, you never know when you could use something as useful as a PTO.

You could turn your truck into an electric generator, air compressor, hydrolic station, etc... makes your truck an all in one thing.

As for ways of finding, I will do.

Also just though about this, what about one connected to a driveshaft and how long are the lifes on one of those?

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the end price you can get OBA and an electric winch. However a pto air compressor can push some crazy cfm's and a hydraulic winch is pretty indestructible. If you decide to go for it start up a build thread so we can see how it turns out.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
For the end price you can get OBA and an electric winch. However a pto air compressor can push some crazy cfm's and a hydraulic winch is pretty indestructible. If you decide to go for it start up a build thread so we can see how it turns out.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
I would stray away from a pto if you plan on using it for a self recovery winch. Electric winches are better in every way. An electric winch can be used without the engine running, it's line speed is completely independant of engine speed, they have about 10 less potential points of failure, etc....

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have read that guys running the hydrolic PTO with 12,000lbs wintches with the PTO that can be put on the np435.

If all else fails, wonder about running a hydrolic pump off the engine belt setup, I know that can to be to hard to do (hince hydro assist and hydro steering works).

In the end I want my truck to be more then just a play toy or DD, want it to be able to do a little bit of everything.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It still sounds like a lot of added expense and weight for going this route. Best point yet is an electric winch will still work even if the engine is dead, a pto won't.

Matt

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The PTO itself is like 37lbs, not really that much to add.

Even if my engine dies and I have a working winch, it wont get me home so I would in theory be screwed anyways.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
depends on why your engine died. if you rolled over and shut it down to keep it from tearing itself apart you could use your electric winch to get yourself upright again. in that scenario you could check your fluid levels, fire it up, and keep on wheeling. if you hydro locked your engine you could pull yourself out of the puddle you are in with an electric winch. from there you could pull the plugs, give each cylinder a healthy dose of wd40, crank it over, put the plugs back in and keep on wheeling.

There is a place for PTOs but self recovery is not their place. if you were building a wrecker, a rollback, a dump truck, or a utility truck with a lift then a PTO would be warranted. Running a hydraulic winch you will have a potential failure point at every hydraulic connection (two at the pump, two at the res, two at the cooler, two at the winch for the simplest system) You will have some difficulty trying to match wheel speed with line speed in self recovery operations. the complete system will be significantly heavier than an electric winch (40lb pto, 15lb hydraulic pump, 15 lb res, 10lb cooler, 60lbs of fluid, etc....)

If you're set on doing it then by all means do it, don't let any of us stop you....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals