• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

not your normal speedometer problem

hschwartz3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the truck: 01 ranger 2wd 5-speed 2.5 4 cyl. standard cab 7.5 axle

the problem: speedometer works up until 73-74 mph then falls to zero. I dont go over 74 often, but sometimes i do depending on the highway. This is my service vehicle, so when the speedo stops so does the odometer and so does the mileage reimbursement.

I've replaced the VSS sensor on top of the rear axle diff, but it didnt change anything. Any other ideas? thanks for the help.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
There might be another sensor right on top of the output to the driveline on the back of the transfercase. At least there is one there on my 4x4 1996. That sensor could be bad too.

The one on the top of the diff is solely for ABS up until like 1998 when the switched to pure digital readings for the speedo from my understandings.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
There might be another sensor right on top of the output to the driveline on the back of the transfercase. At least there is one there on my 4x4 1996. That sensor could be bad too.

The one on the top of the diff is solely for ABS up until like 1998 when the switched to pure digital readings for the speedo from my understandings.
I thought they switched in '94-'95.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think there is a grey area.

From the article it says that up until 1995 was gear driven cable from the tranny/transfercase up to the speedo.

Then it says 1998 onward is purely digital from the ABS sensor off the Diff.

Then there is my truck which is neither. 1996 and it has a "gear driven sensor" on the output shaft the transfercase by the driveline. Which sends a digital signal up somewhere to the computer or something...

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
The fulsizes switched much earlier. My '92 and '95 are digital with a single speed sensor on the top of the diff.

hschwartz3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, there is no sensor on the tailhousing of the transmission.

From my understanding, the PCM converts the raw data from the VSS sensor on the rear diff to calculate vehicle speed.

I'm not sure where to go from here, didn't know if any other members had a similar issue.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I'd bet its the psom (programable speedometer and odometer module) when they fail they get bouncy like mine or they work within some oddball range, outside of that they drop, which is what you are experiencing.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^ so since my trucks speed bounces to 100 sometimes then back to the right speed or back to 0 then back to the right speed its that module?

where is it located how much do it cost to replace im so tired of my speedo being off.

it was right even after i changed my tire size i changed my speedo gear and what not to make it right and it was dead on for a while now it runs a little fast

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
^^ so since my trucks speed bounces to 100 sometimes then back to the right speed or back to 0 then back to the right speed its that module?

where is it located how much do it cost to replace im so tired of my speedo being off.

it was right even after i changed my tire size i changed my speedo gear and what not to make it right and it was dead on for a while now it runs a little fast
Your truck (if its the 94) won't have this modual. It will have a gear in the back of the transmission or t case that you change to adjust the spedometer.Perhaps its not in quite right or have you pulled the dash out recently? I know on my 84 I pulled the dash out for something and when i plugged the cable back in it did what your describing until I pulled it out and fixed it.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
In his first post he said its an '01. The psom is the speedometer & odometer. Gotta open up the dash to get at it. Before replacing it, check all the wiring from the sensor up to the module.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck (if its the 94) won't have this modual. It will have a gear in the back of the transmission or t case that you change to adjust the spedometer.Perhaps its not in quite right or have you pulled the dash out recently? I know on my 84 I pulled the dash out for something and when i plugged the cable back in it did what your describing until I pulled it out and fixed it.
ok thanks man i havent checked the connections and stuff for a while and no i havent even had the cluster out of the truck.

thank again

hschwartz3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK, thanks for the replies. I'll check out the wiring harness and stop by the pick and pull yard to get a spare speedo/odometer. Could i possibly use an instrument cluster from an explorer?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pull your dash apart, look at it, get numbers off it, whatever, to match what you find in the JY. Then you'll know which tools to take, how to access it, etc. before you get there. I'd guess 99 and up Explorers, but have no idea about the newer years.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636 is kind of helpful....

Oh yeah, Welcome to The Ranger Station (oops, low post count threw me!).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals