• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not getting full drop with Beams?

TheStig88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Installed a set of dream beams and 1" drop springs in my 84 over the weekend

measured before and after and only got 2.5" of total drop :dunno:

is this normal?

i don't want to install the flip kit and have an absurd amount of neg rake

its been a few years since i lowered a beam truck but i don't remember having this issue...

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Drive it n give the springs time to settle, also run some suzuki samurai shocks. Thats what i did on my bagged 86

TheStig88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Drive it n give the springs time to settle, also run some suzuki samurai shocks. Thats what i did on my bagged 86
installed Toxic Drop shocks with the beams :icon_thumby:
rides smooth

only driven it about 30 miles so far.....

86beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yea maybe give it some time. New springs r stiff as hell

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Um the beams are 3" drop already cause I have them . Plus I cut the dead coil and a half out for another 1 " drop . Mine came down right there . Yes used springs so I get that versus new and break in time . But the beams are made for 3 already and only got 2.5

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!

TheStig88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Um the beams are 3" drop already cause I have them . Plus I cut the dead coil and a half out for another 1 " drop . Mine came down right there . Yes used springs so I get that versus new and break in time . But the beams are made for 3 already and only got 2.5

Sent from my iphone while gettin sidewayz!!!
its the 2nd truck i've personally installed beams on (not my 1st rodeo)

my 96 dropped dropped 4" with beams and new 2" springs

the current project only dropped 2.5" with beams and new 1" springs :icon_confused:

i did measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground if that matters....

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep in mind that the 84 is a 33 year old truck. Possibly a lot of sag in the original front springs. Unless you've owned it since new, there's no telling what a previous owner(s) actually did to the truck (IE: lowered by cut or heated coils, swapped in splash springs, etc).

As previously mentioned new springs can take a little time to settle in. First thing I'd do is put some miles on the truck and see what happens.

When measuring ride height it is better to measure top of arch to center line of axle. Generally makes for a more consistent measurements when making suspension mods.

Same wheels and tires? If not the new tires could be slightly taller than old tires, just being newer with stiffer sidewalls could make a difference.

Have you had an alignment? Too much toe-in can cause cause the front end to try to climb while driving. Might not even be perceptible while driving, but enough to make a difference in measurement. If this is happening the front end should drop while backing up. Since you were measuring from the ground I can also see how too much camber (positive or negative) could make a bit of a difference.

With beams and a 1" spring, drop shocks should not be necessary. With the beams alone the upper and lower shock mount stay same distance apart as stock, the drop springs only move them 1" closer together which stock size shocks should handle no problem. That said, running drop shocks shouldn't hurt anything either. If you are doing flip kit in rear, you will need drop shocks for that.

TheStig88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
update:

i did measure before the drop...same wheels and tires on stock springs
yes, they were all very saggy. so that could be my problem....

The rear springs are still noticeably saggy (got the ranger lean going on but on the passenger side....it sits about 3/4" lower than the driver side)

Still couldn't get it to sit how i wanted originally
Ended up cutting a coil out of the springs...now they're 2" drop springs :D
and the rear was so saggy that i ended up putting 2" lift shackles on after i installed the flip kit/notch
new leaf packs are in my future

after 2 tries and fails at a local off-road truck shop (2.7* of neg camber that they couldn't get out with 4* bushings :icon_confused:)
funny i had it closer with an angle finder and a tape measure.... :thefinger:

had it aligned at a shop that specializes in hot rods and hard to align vehicles
got it perfect with just a touch of positive camber to allow for my weight and future settling

Toxic drop shocks installed on all 4 corners
it rides like new

drove it to Chicago and back....twice
1400 miles
even got a few thumbs up on the highway :headbang:

shrunk.jpg

rear shrunk.jpg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad to hear it's getting closer to how you want. It's looking good, can definitely understand the thumbs up!
:icon_thumby:

Mostly wanted to chime in on the wheels. First time I've ever seen that treatment on them, or at least combined with a lowered truck. Makes them look completely different, like something that belongs on a Mustang. I like!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals