• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not enough lift! Ok to add block on top of stock block?????

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Over the weekend I installed a tuff country lift kit on my truck, but the front sits 2-2.5 inches higher than the back (some add a leafs :mad: .......). Is it ok to put a block on top of a block (for rear axle)????? Or would it be better to get one block that is the same heighth as the two put together (which would get rid of the factory bump stop blocks)?????

Thanks

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its ok to put another 2'' block on top of the stock one.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I dont care how small they are, STACKED BLOCKS ARE BAD!!!!

Go with extended shackles to get more lift.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dont care how small they are, STACKED BLOCKS ARE BAD!!!!

Go with extended shackles to get more lift.
in the past i ran stacked blocks (4.5" on stock 2") successfully, while wheeling hard.. but axle wrap was quite noticeable watching someone else drive my truck around, and you could feel it when accelerating.

but with how cheap belltech 6400 shackles are, if you only need 2" of lift--don't stack blocks--get the shackles. or make a bastard leaf pack with your AAL stock leaves and explorer 4 door leaves.

even with the stock 2" blocks, and 6" lift springs in my truck now--you can still see the axle wrap when i drive, but its much harder to feel it while driving.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
go ahead stack another block, thats what im goin to do, when hopefully someday i get f-150 coils

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
u couldnt pay me to run stacked blocks on a rear......mine had it from the previous owner of the rears and springs, but itll only stay that way until i get the motor in and see how the truck sits

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of lift kits come with stacked blocks for the rear to go on top of the factory block. It's not the smartest set up in the world but my truck runs 4" lift blocks and don't give me any problems. They're just staying that way until I can get my 4" leaf springs but for now they work alright.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
A lot of lift kits come with stacked blocks for the rear to go on top of the factory block. It's not the smartest set up in the world but my truck runs 4" lift blocks and don't give me any problems. They're just staying that way until I can get my 4" leaf springs but for now they work alright.
x2 Alot of lift kits come with a block to stack on your factory block. I would still recommend the shackles, though you're only going to get 1.5" of lift from them. I don't know where everybody comes up with the 2" from these shackles, because they are only 3" longer than stock, you're only lifting one end of the spring, meaning you're only getting 1.5" of lift.
If you find it necessary to run the stacked blocks, I would run some sort of traction bar, though you may not get too bad of axle wrap since you have the AAL in there. I know even with the stock block in mine, the axle wrap is noticable.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, will axle wrap be noticable with two stacked 2 in blocks????

Sounds like I need explorer leafs and beltech shackles but I kinda wanted to keep the ride quality I have now (which is only slightly stiffer than stock).

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, will axle wrap be noticable with two stacked 2 in blocks????
Very noticeable. I even noticed the difference with no blocks on my B2 when I went to sploder leafs, noticeably less axle wrap.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Really????? I wonder if I have some right now but i just dont kno what it feels like.

Can anybody explain what it feels like when driving????

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Really????? I wonder if I have some right now but i just dont kno what it feels like.

Can anybody explain what it feels like when driving????
Well, the easiest way, not necessarily the best way, is to accelerate hard, and you will feel the rear "wind up and snap". It's kind of hard to explain.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the easiest way, not necessarily the best way, is to accelerate hard, and you will feel the rear "wind up and snap". It's kind of hard to explain.
Yeah, and if you don't let off the gas, the whole back end of your truck will start bouncing violently like it is shaking itself apart.

hick

DRangerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 & 92
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, and if you don't let off the gas, the whole back end of your truck will start bouncing violently like it is shaking itself apart.

hick
Yes, and its very annoying, can't accel, waiting for a ujoint to blow- I've got 3" f150 block under my stock blocks, with Ranger/explorer leaf pack,rides well , no probs so far but not on there long, and you can (pretty) easily fab a knock off James Duff traction bar, built mine from Honda Civic ( I think) front A-arm braces, built brackets for the top ubolt plate and a hole in front leaf mount with Help shock bushings, no more axle wrap.........

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual

This is an example of axle wrap.

I did this earlier today in my drive way. I was pulling up the hill with a truck on my car trailer in my ranger. I have a locker in the back and manual hubs. I was in low range and the hubs were unlocked. All I did was step on the gas and it spun the tires. The choppyness that you see in the tire marks is a result of axle wrap. It twists, slips, grabs, twists, slips, grabs and repeats.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals