• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not able to accelerate after about 25 to 30

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It really seems like it's time to take a step back and carefully map out exactly what you have installed, the steps you've taken, etc. Start from the beginning to do some logical troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My o2 sensor came unplugged yesterday, that wouldn't be an indicator of the rough running problem? I only noticed this last night when lookin for voltage leaks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Well it seems a piston or connecting rod on the passenger side has given out, when I bump it over at a certain revolution it sounds like metal clatter, an or something hitting the oil pan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to hold off on running it anymore and see what I can do about possibly pulling the motor again, so tired of dealing with problems

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
It really seems like it's time to take a step back and carefully map out exactly what you have installed, the steps you've taken, etc. Start from the beginning to do some logical troubleshooting.
Ive made a list of the things I've currently installed and or done to the truck since the v8 build began

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Now would be a good time to circle back and post the whole list of what's there, what the base pieces are (engine, PCM, etc) and let people with fresh eyes look things over. At this point you're mired in the middle of it and it can be hard to see which way is up (been there).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Understandable lol confusion has been the biggest blockade in this endeavor and worry about something breaking, part of the reason why I'm on here asking around for this or close to this problem lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Haven't been on here in awhile, been going through some stuff haha, but im gonna be working on the danger ranger again as I need my wheels with a new heart. A basic list of what I've put into the truck would be
1.a 302 block out of a 96 f150
2.a ford explorer intake upper an lower manifold
3. I tried to convert my v6 harness to work with the v8 conversion but I don't think it worked like I wanted lol
4.a set of v8 ford explorer stock exhaust manifolds
5. Scored a 5 speed trans from a 97 f150 which isn't what I originally wanted to use but ended up with so it's not a problem, just extra parts for later
Once the sound inside the pan started in I decided to just take it apart and find out what it is that is making the noise, my best guess is some thing is loose so, im also planning to rework the whole wire harness as im straped for cash but I've got lots of wire so it shouldn't be a problem

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
How much oil did you add to it last fall to get it on the stick?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
How much oil did you add to it last fall to get it on the stick?
I put in what would've been in a 96 f150 5.0l oil pan, I blew a oil line during a test drive an got some better line at the time, my last oil change resulted in fuel in the oil pan. I'm sure my wiring needs to be changed to be proper but I'm thinking about putting a carb on for running purposes an just to get it going after I diagnose the sound that developed in the bottom end. Sounds like something slapping the pan at a certain revolution when I turn it over. Made the smarter choice to just take it apart an see what I'm dealing with atm ya know lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I kept the proper amount of oil needed an kept it at a good temperature, I'm gonna prolly do a different setup on my cooling when I take the motor out again, as well as some firewall smashing lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals