• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not able to accelerate after about 25 to 30

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the V6 Batch fire is ODD and EVEN alternating
1 3 5(tan wire) then 2 4 6(white wire)

So 2 injectors on one bank and one on the other bank, and it alternates each 1 rotation of crank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Well I rewired the Injectors to the layout you described earlier and had to fix a wire I didn't hook up an it sounds better and doesn't feel super rough any more, I haven't driven it to see if it was gonna make the difference on the drive yet with injectors, would my iac sensor from the ranger work with the v8? Or do I need a V8 one

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any Ford IAC valve would work, if it fits
IAC Valve is a "control" not a sensor, computer "learns" how much voltage to send to IAC Valve "solenoid" to open it enough for engine to do 700rpm or 1,500rpm, or anywhere in between
And its precise, +/-4rpm usually

Computer has "target RPMs" in a table in memory
say 1,100rpms when coolant is 50deg(cold engine)
and say 750rpms when coolant is at 190deg, fully warmed up

ECT sensor, 5volt 2 wire sensor tells computer engine/coolant temp

Dash board gauge uses a 12volt SENDER for temp, usually 1 wire, so no connection between these

The ECT is an important sensor, it tells computer when to Choke the engine, and how much Choke when engine is cold
All gasoline engines need to be Choked when cold, fuel injection has no Jets so a choke plate couldn't be used, so the computer "chokes" the engine, which means Rich Fuel mix and high idle, based on engine TEMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've got custom temp an oil pressure gauges cause the stock ones no longer worked in my original motors case, it smells a bit rich but I can't dial it back anymore with out having to do more custom exhaust work which will be done, just don't have the time currently, I did another drive just now, idk why but reverse feels hard now when backing up where before it wasnt as hard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
My tach gauge is prolly off cause the v6 calibration, so I'll need to do that before long, on this drive it did the same when I got to a certain speed it just sounds like it cuts out and doesn't fire 2 cylinders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've got custom temp an oil pressure gauges cause the stock ones no longer worked in my original motors case, it smells a bit rich but I can't dial it back anymore with out having to do more custom exhaust work which will be done, just don't have the time currently, I did another drive just now, idk why but reverse feels hard now when backing up where before it wasnt as hard
Exhaust work is fixing some of the leaks and maybe wiring in another o2 sensor downstream

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm using the crappy GT40p manifolds from the explorer but am searching for a set of headers for it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You know the temp and oil gauges have nothing to do with ECT sensor or IAC Valve, they are totally separate from Computer system

ECT sensor is only used by the computer so it can adjust air/fuel mix based on engine temp, i.e. choke or no choke, idle high or idle low

Gauges are good to have, but no relation to computer operation

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm using the crappy GT40p manifolds from the explorer but am searching for a set of
You know the temp and oil gauges have nothing to do with ECT sensor or IAC Valve, they are totally separate from Computer system

ECT sensor is only used by the computer so it can adjust air/fuel mix based on engine temp, i.e. choke or no choke, idle high or idle low

Gauges are good to have, but no relation to computer operation
I didn't know about the ect till now but I know the gauges don't have any relevance to very much stuff since, I think I put that in cause you said gauge at an earlier post lol, it's hot where I'm at so been tryna cool off an not melt away haha, will the ect sensor being from the ranger make a difference?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Would my tps sensor be the cause, I used the same one from the ranger,I used alot of the rangers stuff during the swap I'm just not sure if there compatible across with it each othe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I've got the ect tps an icm from the ranger still I think, I think it's my air bypass valve is from the ranger as well on the v8

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ECT and TPS would work on V8 but NOT the ICM(spark module)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Would that be an indicator on why it sounds like it's bog when getting into third , I've looked around and as far as it seems it seems like it's worked so far but if changing it would fix that I'm gonna get a v8 one, it's remote mounted by the purge canister with a heat sync

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting spark, found that out yesterday the hard way

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, you are using a TFI system with distributor, not an EDIS/ICM so it would work

ICM means distributorless to me, with coil packs, but can mean any electronic spark system so my mistake

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals