• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Northern aluminum raditator.how well do they work?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Has anyone used the northern brand raditator for a v8 conversion on a 83-88 rangers?if so how good do they fit?was there any modifications needed for install?and how well do they keep the v8 cooled down?i c quite a few people on ebay selling these radiators for the v8 swap rangers.was curious if they r worth the money or not?let me know.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
No experience with the Northern unit, but my Superior brand aluminum radiator can use the stock Ranger mounts with some creative mounting solutions, and has a 90 degree filler neck. It needs this because it tucks up inside of the core support to give you much more room in the engine bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-302-RANGER-V8-v-8-aluminum-radiator-direct-fit/163865757084?epid=11021510326&hash=item262729059c:g:oxkAAMXQgJRQ-rSc

It can be used with an automatic or manual transmission because it has a trans-cooler built in like stock radiators do.

It looks to have the exact same style lower mounts as the one you're looking at. I did have to buy some radiator hose reducers to make the top hose fit. I'm not sure why these rad manufacturers use such a small upper hose connection..?

I can take some pics of how I made my mounting "pins" if needed. I basically drilled holes in the lower mounting plates that are welded on to the radiator, inserted a short bolt, and thread on a hex shaped internally threaded post that inserts down in to the factory Ranger rubber mounts. Used lots of Loctite to make sure they didn't come loose. No problems with them ever since.

20171029_183029.jpg

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
more pics the better man.looks like u have tons of room there.i contacted the guy that sold u that radiator.he said it didn't need any modifications at all to install.it sounds like it needed a little huh?whats the donor car u used for engine?will u be using an electric fan?im also trying to figure out if 95 stangs power steerings pump will work with 1987 compression hose.or will i have to mess around with mounts and pulleys from other cars.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
My truck is already done. Has been for nearly 2 years.

I run a mechanical fan right now. Since that picture was taken, I moved the radiator lower mounts towards the engine, because I had to make room in front of the radiator for an aftermarket A/C condenser. Still running the mechanical fan too. I may switch to an electric eventually, but I like the simplicity and reliability of the mechanical right now..

The donor engine was a 1992 Thunderbird 5.0, which is the same as the 94-95 SN95 Mustang.

The only modifications needed to the radiator was to drill some holes in the lower mounts to accept some bolts/internally threaded hex posts. Those stick down in to the Ranger rubber mounts.

I used the Thunderbird power steering pump and had a custom hose made at Napa. I had to buy a power steering hose that had the Mustang pump connection one one end, we cut it down and used normal hydraulic fittings on the other end that threads in to the 87 Ranger power steering gearbox.

steering shaft.jpg
TG3.jpg

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

I run a mechanical fan right now. Since that picture was taken, I moved the radiator lower mounts towards the engine, because I had to make room in front of the radiator for an aftermarket A/C condenser. Still running the mechanical fan too. I may switch to an electric eventually, but I like the simplicity and reliability of the mechanical right now..

The donor engine was a 1992 Thunderbird 5.0, which is the same as the 94-95 SN95 Mustang.

The only modifications needed to the radiator was to drill some holes in the lower mounts to accept some bolts/internally threaded hex posts. Those stick down in to the Ranger rubber mounts.

I used the Thunderbird power steering pump and had a custom hose made at Napa. I had to buy a power steering hose that had the Mustang pump connection one one end, we cut it down and used normal hydraulic fittings on the other end that threads in to the 87 Ranger power steering gearbox.

View attachment 32077View attachment 32078
the pump looks exactly like the 94-95 ones.its funny u said u went to napa to make hose for pump.i was going to c if they could do that same exact thing.need end for mustang pump and other end to fit 87 gearbox.was it hard to explain to them what u wanted exactly?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Not really. It wasn't cheap though. Buying a new hose for the pump only to cut it off and add another end to it.. The hydraulic fitting was costly. It was the cost of the new Mustang hose that was highest I think.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
There may be a factory hose that would work for this. Possibly an early 90's F150 hose or similar...?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
couldn't u use 6AN fittings for it.cut end of ranger use barb fitting on it,and do the same for the mustang hose and thread them together after.wouldn't that work?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
its better doing it the way u did it in my opinion. instead of trying to figure out what bracket from what donor car to use then if pulleys line up.id rather do what u did. cost out weights the headaches by far.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

View attachment 32077View attachment 32078
did u have to relocate battery to the right side as well.i just noticed that?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I relocated the battery because it was fighting for the same space the airbox was. I used a Trail Gear battery box because it was one of the more affordable, but still durable and secure options that was made of steel, which allowed me to weld my own custom brackets to it for mounting anywhere I needed.

As for using AN hose for the power steering, you could use a hydraulic compression fitting that clamped on to the steel tubing used for the original power steering line that hooks to the pump. Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at165056erl?rrec=true

I'm sure there are multiple ways you could go about it. I just thought the way I did it was the quickest, easiest, and most affordable at the time. Stainless braided AN hose and the fittings aren't cheap.. Just remember that there are high pressures involved on one of the hoses, and that connection will have to be very strong. The return hose can usually be much more simple and cheap because of the lower pressures involved.

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
the return pressure hose one from ranger should just slide into place on donor pump right?u shouldn't need to add a fitting to that i don't think?

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I relocated the battery because it was fighting for the same space the airbox was. I used a Trail Gear battery box because it was one of the more affordable, but still durable and secure options that was made of steel, which allowed me to weld my own custom brackets to it for mounting anywhere I needed.

As for using AN hose for the power steering, you could use a hydraulic compression fitting that clamped on to the steel tubing used for the original power steering line that hooks to the pump. Something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at165056erl?rrec=true

I'm sure there are multiple ways you could go about it. I just thought the way I did it was the quickest, easiest, and most affordable at the time. Stainless braided AN hose and the fittings aren't cheap.. Just remember that there are high pressures involved on one of the hoses, and that connection will have to be very strong. The return hose can usually be much more simple and cheap because of the lower pressures involved.
u know i was wondering if they made something like that.i could probably use my ranger inlet hose if they have the right sized adapter to go to mustang pump

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
i wish u lived local so i can meet u.u seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I just know what I learned while building mine, and researching every single option I had for whatever part I was having trouble with that week.

Be aware when you're installing the pump end of the hose to the pump, there's a tiny little white plastic (Teflon I think) ring that goes between the pump and hose, and without it the connection will leak like crazy. It also lets the connections swivel freely.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals