• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

North maine woods overland adventure

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I am in the budding stages of planning an overland adventure for myself and my fiance across our home state. This thread will be it's story.

The main goal of the trip is to cross the state on as little pavement and possible.

The goal was pretty easily realized. Considering the literal majority of land in our state is a privately owned working forest, we have nearly as many miles of dirt roads as paved.

The dirt roads come in a few flavors up here, somewhat passively defined by delorme/garmin in the gazetteer:

Local/logging roads- a hefty percentage of the dirt roads "up north" are used year round by countless logging outfits, therefore they are of decent width and they stay pretty well maintained. Vigilance while traveling traveling these "main" roads is a must. You are a guest on their over 10 million acre jobsite, they always have the right-of-way, and they're always doing 60mph... so you best stay the hell out of the way.

Unimproved roads- these are mainly seasonal roads, utilized as snowmobile trails in the winter. Sometimes they connect two "real" roads or state routes, often times they dead end you at some remote pond, up a mountain, in a bog, or just in a clearing. The majority of these roads were originally scratched in for logging, but aren't active. Lots and lots of private camps off these roads. Not frequently maintained, but usually passable for something with more clearance than a car.

Undefined or unidentified roads- honestly, I havnt had a lot of experience with these. They aren't maintained, pass at your own risk. A good number of them are gated off, or would likely require 4x4. My route doesn't rely on these, but for scientific purposes I'm gonna find out "what their deal is"

The proposed route (purple line):

We'll start our journey a couple hours north, just west of rangely, just east of NH. The route will take us northeast through the Appalachian mountains, above Baxter&Katahdin, and clean over to our border with new Brunswick.

Main points of interest are a wrecked b-17, ice caves, and abandoned trains. Apart from those, well be passing an absolutely staggering amount of lakes/ponds/rivers/streams (maine has over 8000 named bodies of water), countless mountains, and hopefully only a handful of other people.

My eyes are real tired of staring at the gazetteer currently, so I havnt figured out total distance yet (guessing 300ish) When I do, I'll attempt to also count the number of mountains&bodies of water well pass.

Well be sleeping in a glorified plywood box were going to build thatll sit on my flatbed. Construction of that will begin when my flatbed is done.

Only gear that needs to be bought is a little more recovery stuff, a hatchet, hi lift jack, full size spare, and cans for gas&water. Good thing I love buying gear!

Suggestions for gear or anything else always appreciated.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bangor is a fun word to say...

Bangor!? I hardly knew or!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

rngrracing96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
33x10.5x15
This is an awesome trip! I will definitely be following along. And possibly asking for the route when you're done.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That looks to be a fun trip... how many days are you planning?

A couple things come to mind to take along... One of those small "Jump Pack" jump start gizmos. Also in my experience in Northern Michigan forest roads... a smallish chain saw. That will make short work of any trees you find over the trail.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
This is an awesome trip! I will definitely be following along. And possibly asking for the route when you're done.
Thanks! We're real excited about it. I need to do some research on GPS's. Our directions are going to all be on paper but I'd like to be able to track and save the route 21st century style as well lol.

That looks to be a fun trip... how many days are you planning?

A couple things come to mind to take along... One of those small "Jump Pack" jump start gizmos. Also in my experience in Northern Michigan forest roads... a smallish chain saw. That will make short work of any trees you find over the trail.

I have 3 days in my head, but I'll have a better idea once I figure out exactly how many miles the route is.

A jump pack is definitely on the list of stuff to buy. I have my eye on a NoCo gb40, they claim it does 1000 amps.

A chainsaw would definitely be a good addition, I'll have to see what I can find for a smallish one like you said, as my regular saw doesn't exactly fit that description lol.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Last night I figured out mileage, wrote down pretty detailed directions, and found a couple detours in case a gate is shut or a road is impassable, twas a 6 hour task lol.

331.25 miles +/- a few.

I was planning on having to take 10 gallons of extra fuel along, but now I think I may be alright with just 5.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Gonna bump an ancient thread... How did it go? Can I have the route if it was good?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Gonna bump an ancient thread... How did it go? Can I have the route if it was good?
Life has got in the way of taking the trip in the all-out capacity that I would like to... however... I would like to see how much of the route I can get done some upcoming weekend.

I feel like 3-4 days would probably be best.. and that's what I had planned on originally.. but I'll see what I can do leaving Saturday morning and coming home Sunday night.

I just pulled out our tent, I'll have to assemble the rest of what we'll need this week sometime.

And yes, you can absolutely have the route. I highlighted it on my maine gazzeteer and also have what I believe to be some pretty solid directions written down that tell you how many miles before turns and such.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Ok so this trip is finally happening, within the month.

Bought a portable power station last night to supply juice for the 12v cooler I bought last year.. one of my biggest annoyances with camping and stuff has always been trying to keep ice.. it's hard when your the only one who keeps the damn lid shut! 😂 now I won't need to worry about it. Should have enough power on one charge to keep the food cold for the weekend.. super excited to try it out!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
20230725_154704.jpg

Pre-trip powerbank/cooler run time testing just began. Filled the cooler with random crap to simulate it being full of food lol...

Coolers pretty basic.. set temp.. cools itself to 5° under set temp & shuts off.. then turns back on when temp is 5° degrees warmer than set temp.

Overall size is pretty close to a regular cooler.. but about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Inside is taken up by the mechanical bits. Still enough room for a weekend-trip worth of perishables for two people.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
You're using the LTD - right?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Ohhhhhhh...well, pardon moi Mr. Fancy Cadillac man. So you're using the caddy - right?
That would be fun lol but nah I'm unfortunately stuck taking the stupid bronco 🙄😋

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals