• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noob here with a squeaky serp belt

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First let me say that this forum is great. I just purchased a 1997 Ranger with 160K miles for my 16 year old. Our first project; besides changing oil, filters, etc., is to fix the loud squeaky serpentine belt. Now I have some mechanical experience however I'd appreciate any help offered. Its my guess that the tensioner is bad. If I put a 3/8 socket wrench in the top of the tensioned it doesn't budge, I thought that I should be able to get it to spring somewhat. So my plan is to replace the tensioner, pully and the belt. If you agree with my diagnosis can someone give me a brief rundown on the procedure to replace these items. If you don't agree with my thinking please set me straight. Thanks all.

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now this is just a thought. Your alternator should be able to adjust. In other words you should be able to losen your alternator and have the belt come lose. Maybe im right Maybe im wrong. Its something to try.

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
try the alternator. but u can also try once u get thee alternator loose, loosen the tensioner and set to the upright position and then put the alternator back on tight wit the belt on the tensioner. then once u do that pry the tensioner so that you r tightening the belt , and tighten the tensioner. that should do it for u. but if that doesnt work thewn try the old fashion soapy water on the belt and pulleys

Army

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
(it seems every time I come back here, I have to re-register..hmmm)

The tensioner spring is shot, or rusted in place. Either way, It's got to come off to repair. The tensioner removes 95% of the need to adjust the alternator for tension.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
on mine it was the tensioner...I went to change a belt and the F*&#ing thing exploded and hit me in the face.....Just an idea.

CMLJESSE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey!! Jamestown, NY!!!

I grew up in Mayville, right across the Lake! Small world!

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input, any trick to removing the tensioner? How about the torque specks on the tensioner and pulley?

Last edited:

jubangy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input, any trick to removing the tensioner? How about the torque specks on the tensioner and pulley?
Use a 3/4 breaker bar with a 3/8 reducer stick that in the tensioner to pop the belt off then just unbolt the tensioner. The new one should come with a paper that has directions and torque..at least the one I bought from autozone did. Also the haynes manual should have torque specs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals