• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Non-FX4 Regret - Aftermarket lockers available?

Mark Turentine

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello all,

I recent bought my 2021 XL STX off the lot which did not come with the FX4 package. Now I'm regretting that decision, but I love the Truck.

I know that ARB has an aftermarket air locker that you can get, but having to also change out the ring and pinion and install onboard air seems too much. So, I am really interested in a "lunchbox" locker for the Dana M220 rear end, but so far have had no luck finding a manufacturer that makes one explicitly for the M220.

I'm hoping you guys might have some thoughts on options.

Is the M220 a version of the Dana 44, and if so, would a lunchbox locker for the Dana 44 fit the M220 diff?

Has anyone had a dealer install the factory elocking rear end after leaving the lot, and if so, what was your experience and ballpark cost?

Thanks!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Hello all,

I recent bought my 2021 XL STX off the lot which did not come with the FX4 package. Now I'm regretting that decision, but I love the Truck.

I know that ARB has an aftermarket air locker that you can get, but having to also change out the ring and pinion and install onboard air seems too much. So, I am really interested in a "lunchbox" locker for the Dana M220 rear end, but so far have had no luck finding a manufacturer that makes one explicitly for the M220.

I'm hoping you guys might have some thoughts on options.

Is the M220 a version of the Dana 44, and if so, would a lunchbox locker for the Dana 44 fit the M220 diff?

Has anyone had a dealer install the factory elocking rear end after leaving the lot, and if so, what was your experience and ballpark cost?

Thanks!
The e-locker isn't an fx4 exclusive, my '21 stx has one. Besides 4x4 it was the only option I cared about getting.

As of right now, if you want something guaranteed to work you have 2 options, ARB or the stock ford parts. Either way is going to be expensive.

Mark Turentine

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the info. I had no illusions on the Air locker or factory cost as I've already done some of the research on those routes.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It's been said that the axles that didn't get the locker have the ring gear welded to the carrier. So, you might be looking at more than a locker to do the conversion.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
AFAIK the only aftermarket unit is ARB. You’d have to get new ring and pinion regardless.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals