• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Non-Ethanol

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have it available, how often should you run a tankful? Thanks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you have it available, how often should you run a tankful? Thanks.
You don't have to if you are looking at is being some kind of system cleaner. If you are looking for something for that purpose, something like Techron fuel system cleaner would do the job but there is a catch for it to perform best. Dump a bottle of whatever cleaner you choose to use before you fill the tank to get a good mix and then run it until it is almost empty before you refuel it (fuel light comes on is good enough if the vehicle has one). I do this twice a year to make sure the injectors stay clean. It may clean other things but that is the primary purpose.

If the non-ethanol gas is readily available, is from a major brand, and the cost is close enough to negate the price penalty due to the slightly better mpg you will get (about 1-3 mpg roughly), then I'd run it as much as I can. The only "reasonably" priced non-ethanol gas near me (about a $1.00 per gallon more) is garbage gasoline. So, I don't run it. The next closest is about an hour away and the prices are outrageous. The cheapest they have is 93 octane and I think it was somewhere around $6.00 a gallon last I checked. No thank you!

MISWFL

Reaction score
I'd only use it for storage, but only short term. If you know you're not going to use it for a long time, drain the tank and protect it with something to keep if from rusting. There's a few ways to do that. Easiest would be to fill it with Diesel and then recover the Diesel before using it. IMO it's better to use a vehicle then let it sit too long.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd only use it for storage, but only short term. If you know you're not going to use it for a long time, drain the tank and protect it with something to keep if from rusting. There's a few ways to do that. Easiest would be to fill it with Diesel and then recover the Diesel before using it. IMO it's better to use a vehicle then let it sit too long.
Storing a vehicle with an empty tank might work in Florida but not here, when temps drop moisture will condense in the tank. I store my truck and Mustang with full tanks and a heavy dose of Marine Stabil. In the spring I drain 10 gallons or more out of the Mustang and replace it with fresh gas. My truck and Escape don't mind 6 month old 93 octane, the Mustang doesn't like it one bit. I tried running non ethanol in the Mustang but all I can get is 90 octane and I had to pull the timing back to run it.
All our gas should be non ethanol, it takes more energy to produce ethanol than it produces, my experience showed a 5%+ decrease in mileage with E10, and the smell of E10 coming through a cold catalytic convertor would make a buzzard puke. Not to mention the fuel system damage E10 does to anything carbureted.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Full tank is best
What degrades gasoline the most is contact with air, the "gasoline" hydrocarbons evaporate, why gasoline smells, the warmer it is the more you smell it
full tank = less contact with air so less evaporation

Yes, add a stabilizer and then drive vehicle until its warmed up, this will pull in the stabilizer to the fuel filter, fuel rail and injectors
Stop at the gas station and top it up
Park it
Unhook one battery cable
If it will be stored outside in cold temps pull the battery out and put in garage to avoid super low temps, also make sure Anti-freeze is not too old, lol

And just as a heads up, 87 octane fuel will degrade faster than 93 octane when exposed to air
87 octane has more "unstable" components than 93 octane, so will tend to "evaporate" faster and have higher "varnish" residue
We are talking 4 or 5 months here in an open container for 87 octane, and 9-10 months for 93 octane, with no stabilizer added

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or hook it to a battery tender, and have the tender itself under the hood, with the extension cord tied around something under the hood, so it can't be pulled out by some enterprising five finger discount artist. I've done that, and I live in an apartment. But, I sold my Mustang in November, so the Ranger now has a garage to hang out in. And yes, even with a tender, I still unhook the negative terminal if it is going to sit for a week or more.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i run it as often as i am in town when i need gas. the closest station is about 5 miles away that has it so i try to go to town for something when i am ready to get gas.

MISWFL

Reaction score
Storing a vehicle with an empty tank might work in Florida but not here, when temps drop moisture will condense in the tank. I store my truck and Mustang with full tanks and a heavy dose of Marine Stabil. In the spring I drain 10 gallons or more out of the Mustang and replace it with fresh gas. My truck and Escape don't mind 6 month old 93 octane, the Mustang doesn't like it one bit. I tried running non ethanol in the Mustang but all I can get is 90 octane and I had to pull the timing back to run it.
All our gas should be non ethanol, it takes more energy to produce ethanol than it produces, my experience showed a 5%+ decrease in mileage with E10, and the smell of E10 coming through a cold catalytic convertor would make a buzzard puke. Not to mention the fuel system damage E10 does to anything carbureted.
Florida is terrible for vehicles, both inside and out. I don't suggest storing any vehicle with an empty tank, unless it's in the SW desert or in climate controlled storage. I recommend draining the tank of gas and filling with Diesel or something like K1 that you use otherwise. IMO fuel stabilizers are snake oil. Gas is not meant to be stored, regardless of what's put into it. Diesel and other non volatile fuels can basically be stored indefinitely. I still think it's better to run the engine once a week or better yet drive it. Vehicles are not designed to be stored.

In 10-20 years you'll look back and say I didn't realize how good we had it now. The communists of the 13 familes/WEF don't want people to have energy sources they can't fully control all the time. They don't believe in freedom of travel for the masses. That's the real reason for the push to modern EVs, not environmental nonsense. They want to be able to remotely disable or limit the use of all vehicles at any time. They also want to control what you do in your homes when it comes to energy use.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...communists of the 13 familes/WEF don't want people to have energy sources they can't fully control
...reason for the push to modern EVs...to remotely disable or limit the use of all vehicles
...control what you do in your homes when it comes to energy

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I store my three motorcycles all winter long with 93 octane and one ounce per gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil in them. In the Spring, all three start right up, no problemo.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
beware of algae forming in hot weather, it likes diesel fuel.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
Here in FL, it's readily available. I buy it for my zero-turn and all of my two-stroke outdoor equipment. l will run a tank through my truck when I take the gas cans to get filled. I can usually stockpile enough Kroger fuel points to get $1/off per gallon. There's no limit, so I can put 20 gallons in cans and another 20 gallons in my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals