• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy motor.

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 ranger with the 3.0 v6 Flex fuel. It’s been maki this loud ticking noise for quite some time now. I thought it was my exhaust as it gets louder or more pronounced when the engine is under load. However I have inspected my exhaust and repaired any leaks it had and it’s still noisy. Is this a noisy timing chain, a bad lifter, the PCV, or what? Here are links on YouTube to what it sounds like.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I couldn't hear it in the second video... but did in the first.

Sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sounds are hard to diagnose on the internet. But 3.0s have a known issue with the cam synchro going bad but that's usually a squeak. Still worth checking to make sure the bushing isn't bad. It can lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
^ agreed, hard to tell without being there

But I will also say that it sounds like an exhaust leak. Manifold gaskets replaced? Cracked manifold? Hole rusted through your EGR tube?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. If it were the valve train it would have a more metallic sound.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Yes agreed quite "flappy" like durangos get that flappy exhaust sound.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
^ agreed, hard to tell without being there

But I will also say that it sounds like an exhaust leak. Manifold gaskets replaced? Cracked manifold? Hole rusted through your EGR tube?
I thought these as well but also of the collector.

Try revving the engine while its parked to see if its more pronounce or poppy when it idles down.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I always find that having a friend who's willing to stick his head under the truck while you rev the engine to be helpful in pinpointing noises.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I always find that having a friend who's willing to stick his head under the truck while you rev the engine to be helpful in pinpointing noises.
These common sense thoughts are really not appropriate in this day and age. You might just offend someone with it.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
I have a 1999 ranger with the 3.0 v6 Flex fuel. It’s been maki this loud ticking noise for quite some time now. I thought it was my exhaust as it gets louder or more pronounced when the engine is under load. However I have inspected my exhaust and repaired any leaks it had and it’s still noisy. Is this a noisy timing chain, a bad lifter, the PCV, or what? Here are links on YouTube to what it sounds like.
I have the same problem on my 2000 (fathers truck that had engine replaced [probably with an already worn out junkyard motor] when he ran it hot and killed the from factory motor)

Odd thing is...cold it has the exact same lifter clack/tick..but when it warms up it's practically gone

I am currently in the process of replacing all the lifters (I heard that putting sea foam in the oil might clear up oil passages that might be clogged and it might be the hydraulic part of the lifters that is ticking) well the sea foam didn't work...even ran diesel grade 10w-30 in it for a while and no bueno... (especially since my dad was very bad at not changing his oil regularly and almost all his vehicles before sludged up)

Well pulled all the lifters...no appreciable wear on the solid roller lifter part other than some shiny spots worn on the machined portion that fit in the lifter holes, and all seemed well, even replaced all the pushrods...haven't buttoned it all up yet but will be getting there shortly

Byronator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 flex fuel
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your input Warhawk. And thank you for your service! I am still having this clicking sound with my engine. I have also tried seafoam with no luck, as well as a heavier-grade oil. I actually just replaced all my lifters this past Saturday. The process went smoothly enough, however, the lifters were not the problem and the noise is still very prevalent. I will add that the sound is hardly even there at idle, or even when I rev it up just sitting in neutral. The clicking sound is the loudest when I am accelerating and the engine is under load. not necessarily just when it's at high revs. My next guess is that the timing chain is going bad and rattling around.

WarHawk-AVG

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Semper Fi
Ah...The problem turned out to be a worn bushing in the camshaft position sensor – synchronizer, it was slap worn out and wiggling all over the place...replaced it but currently having issues (not sure if the kids dropped the coil pack because I am not getting spark at ALL from any sparkplug now)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals