• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy front end 1999 Ranger 4x4- finally a quiet truck!

99RangerGT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
After using the great info from this website for years to fix my ’99 Ranger 4x4 and install a 5.0 and 4R70W transmission in it, I figured it was time to give back with some info that might help other frustrated Ranger owners. My truck had a lot of front-end noise when I bought it with 140K miles back in 2016. Eventually I had Firestone replace the upper control arms (including upper ball joints) because the mechanic there was sure that was the source of my noise. The truck was quiet for about a week, then gradually the noise began to return. I decided to do my own lower ball joints and anti-sway bar hardware and bushings which didn’t help with the noise at all. Assuming that the noise COULDN’T be from the upper control arms since they’d been replaced, I installed new shocks. At this point I’d invested over $1000 with no success. I decided to break down the front end myself and found that the A-Frame bushings, a part of the upper control arm assembly that had been replaced just 1 year earlier (and the warranty was up) were bad again! Turns out that if you tighten the bushings down without allowing the suspension to be at normal loaded level, you’ll tear up the new bushings. The Firestone “pros” had failed to read the installation instructions. These “bushings” are not really bushings at all. They’re rubber filled canisters. When you lock them in place they only allow a certain amount of movement. Go beyond that amount of flex and you tear the rubber, permanently damaging it. The bolts that hold the bushings in place are special, working with eccentric washers that allow the bushing’s position to be moved (adjusted) to allow alignment of your front end. Once the alignment is correct, they must be locked extremely tight to permanently secure the bushing position (until re-alignment is required). Again, the bolts can only be tightened when the suspension is loaded with the weight of the truck, in the neutral position (truck level on flat ground).

Bushing.JPG
So, after installing the new upper control arms I went to the front-end shop for alignment, making sure they knew not to lock the bushing bolts unless the suspension was loaded. On the trip to the shop the truck was completely quiet! Success at last, though the front end was clearly out of alignment and pulling to the right. After re-alignment the truck drove straight as an arrow and was quiet too, at least for about two weeks. That’s when I discovered that the mechanic who did the alignment had failed to tighten the bushing bolts enough. Frustrated, I just tightened them myself. Finally, the front end is quiet and the truck drives like a new one, now with 175K miles. I hope this helps someone who, like me, is about to give up having a quiet Ranger.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
They're called torsilastic bushings.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like you have a small exhaust leak on the headers at the collector. What are those headers?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals